Home
Posted By: yar marlin 1895 ss - 01/06/11
J.ust purchased and 1895 ss today at local gun shop. Just came in the day before. Was able to grab it for 299.00. This thing is 99 %. Dated to 1990 from the serial number,must of sat in someones closet. I dont know much about these guns. I had a 336 in 35 marlin years ago. This is my first 45/70.
Posted By: DELGUE Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/06/11
The .45-70 is very versatile as far as loads. You can find or load from mild to wild, with jacketed or cast bullets. The Speer 300 gr. bullet gets good reviews, the Hornady 350 FP or RN and the Remington 405 JSP are often mentioned, as well as the Nosler 300 gr. Then there are the premium bullets and the the hardcast bullets from Beartooth and others. It sounds like you got a good price on it. Now you get to have fun!! You might also wanna check the Marlin Owners website for lots of good info.
Posted By: yar Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/06/11
Thanks, Delgue for the info,like I said totally new to this caliber , appreciate your response.
Posted By: minnesota10 Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/07/11
Wish I could find that kind of deal on one myself.
Posted By: warpig602 Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/07/11
Originally Posted by minnesota10
Wish I could find that kind of deal on one myself.

x2
Posted By: yar Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/07/11
I will take some pics and post them. The gun came with a bushnell scope and see though mounts. I will be replacing them with a peep sight.I have bought a few guns from this shop recently and they move a lot of guns and price them reasonably instead of sitting on them. I usually shop and try to bargain down the asking price a little when I buy,weather it be a gun show dealer or shop{never hurts to ask},but these guys don't move on price ,as well they probably shouldn't. I always look for a fair price for the dealer and me. I Know the dealers are not paying anywhere what the guns are retailing at. Hope this doesn't make me sound like a miser but the better price I can get the more guns I can afford smirk
Posted By: DELGUE Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/08/11
Truth be told, I have a 1895G and an 1895CB, but if an 1895SS in good shape came near me for that price, I daresay I would snatch that bad boy up in a heartbeat!! Same for a standard 444, for that matter.
Posted By: yar Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/08/11
I'm real pleased with it. I think this one saw very little if any use. I been fortunate to find a couple of gems lately, pick up winchester 94 1955 mfg date , In real great condition 98% just before Christmas for 250.00 .I think both were safe/closet queens with little to no use. I travel for my job so I'm able to check out alot of shops every week to see what shows up.
Posted By: yar Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/08/11
I cant wait to get out to the range and put some lead though them. They wont collect any dust around here
Posted By: the_shootist Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/09/11
Ya done good, yar. Get yourself a mold and some wheel weights. Drop the hot bullets into water to cool them. Cheap home-made hard cast. Mine come out at 0.4575" and my 1895 shoots them real well.
Posted By: Tonk Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/13/11
Well you certainly did get a good deal on that rifle! Now around my area that rifle would bring easy $400 to $450 dollas.
Posted By: yar Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/13/11
TONK, Thanks for the reply.I wasnt really looking to buy that day, but when I saw the price and the condtion I jumped on it. this thing is near new condition.I dont understand why they didnt price it higher. It came with a busnell sportveiw 4 power scope and see though mounts on it, I removed the see though mounts and remounted it with weaver base and rings. Not sure what Im going to do with the scope ,probably going to replace it with a low power leupold scope.

Posted By: garyb11s Re: marlin 1895 ss - 01/25/11
Originally Posted by yar
I dont know much about these guns. I had a 336 in 35 marlin years ago. This is my first 45/70.

Just about anything you need to know can be found on the Marlin Owners web site.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
© 24hourcampfire