Home
Posted By: RWL99 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/18/11
I've hunted with 45-70's for a lot of years. I've had a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70, a Mod. 1895, and an original Mod 1881. I love the 45-70 caliber. I got my Marlin Guide gun last year and this is the 2nd year of hunting with it. I mounted a 1.5 to 4 power Leupold with heavy Duplex and it fits the gun perfectly. I like the short maneuverability of the GG, it is just the ticket for the brushy cover that I hunt here in Michigan.

I have tried just about every factory load out of it and the one it likes best is the Rem. .405 Gov., it shoots very accurately with this bullet. To prove my point, the other day after deer hunting all morning I headed out for lunch. I had to pass through some hardwoods and spotted a big Fox squirrel in an oak tree. Fried squirrel is my favorite small game dish and I wished that I had my .22 with me. Then I thought if I could get a head shot with the 45-70 I would have my supper. Mr bushy tail was sitting tight watching me from his high perch. I moved to a point where I had the tree as a backstop. I got a solid rest against a tree and here's the results.

Could the 45-70 be a good all around gun?... grin

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Bowman44 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/18/11
You better stick to the heavy bullets like you are so you don't waste any meat! LOL Nice shot and an interesting use of the weapon at hand! T.S.
Posted By: yeselk Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/18/11
Great job on the Tree Rat. Did the tree stop the bullet?

Just kidding. :>)
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/18/11
It mighta been 60 years ago that I read an article written by a guy who used his Trapdoor to kill squirrels on a regular basis.He shot the limb right under them and claimed the concussion knocked them out of the tree and stunned them long enough for him to retrieve them and cut the throat.

Of course, that was in a magazine instead of the internet , so he coulda been lyin' .grin
Posted By: RWL99 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/18/11
It mighta been 60 years ago that I read an article written by a guy who used his Trapdoor to kill squirrels on a regular basis.He shot the limb right under them and claimed the concussion knocked them out of the tree and stunned them long enough for him to retrieve them and cut the throat.

Of course, that was in a magazine instead of the internet , so he coulda been lyin' .grin

laugh laugh laugh

I've always been skeptical of those barking squirrel story's.. smirk
Posted By: Otter Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/18/11
I've used a .54 cal ML for hunting rabbits successfully, so a 45-70 sounds kinda small and under powered wink. I really like the 45-70 and have three of them as well as a 45-90 . . .

Nice shootin'.
Posted By: rem141r Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/19/11
that is one big f'ing squirrel.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/19/11
Big Mortie would approve!!!
Posted By: arkypete Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/21/11
My favorite squirrel load is a 255 grain cast bullet (lubed not sized), 13 grains of Unique (Kleenex tamped down on the powder).
I used this out of my Siamese Mauser with Willians reciever sight.

Jim
Posted By: the_shootist Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/25/11
My favourite squirrel load is a .177 cal air rifle, but our squirrels are not big and ferocious like yours are. You might want to consider more gun. wink
Posted By: onesonek Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/26/11
I haven't gotten around to experimenting,,,,but often wondered about a single round ball loaded down to around 800 fps, for smal game at shorter ranges. I do question the twist rate and accuracy of such,,but I guess it can't hurt to try.
Unless somebody here has, and found it to be an exercise in futility?
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/26/11
I have some bad news for you. It appears that the bullet WAY overpenetrated! laugh

Nice work! I have been pondering putting a 1.5 x 4 Leupold on my 1895 Limited III or getting a tang aperture sight for my aging eyes.

BTW, my rifle really likes that Remington factory load, too.

Ed
Posted By: 1minute Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/27/11
Very accurate rifles, but I'm afraid the local hay growers would not like 405 gr slugs bouncing across their fields amongst their wheel lines in our pursuit of ground squirrels.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/27/11
i love my guide gun but my squirrel hunt with it left me with a mess of blood and fur and very little squirrel
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/28/11
Too bad it ruined the chances for a head mount for your wall.
Posted By: BigBoreFan Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 11/28/11
I shot a coyote at 10 yards broadside last deer season with my guide gun with a hot 300 JHP load. I've never seen so much destruction. There were parts hanging out the back poop shoot and the entire off side of the dog was blown out. I can only imagine what would happen to a tree rat. I later shot a yote head on at 20 yards with the same load and the entire back end was gone. No, I don't have pictures. I will try this setup again if I get the chance.
Posted By: arkypete Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 12/03/11
Originally Posted by the_shootist
My favourite squirrel load is a .177 cal air rifle, but our squirrels are not big and ferocious like yours are. You might want to consider more gun. wink

Keith

The squirrels in Virginia are the reason we have so few wolves and grizzlies left.

Jim
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 12/03/11
And they're beginning to work on the Elk.....
Posted By: Roundup Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 12/05/11
Originally Posted by arkypete
My favorite squirrel load is a 255 grain cast bullet (lubed not sized), 13 grains of Unique (Kleenex tamped down on the powder).
I used this out of my Siamese Mauser with Willians reciever sight.

Jim

For ground squirrels I've used 12 gr. Unique or 13 gr. Red Dot with either a 300 or 350 gr. cast bullet.
Posted By: bubba15301 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 12/05/11
try 13 grains of unique and a.457 round ball. might have to use sometipe of filler to takeup space
Posted By: old70 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 12/11/11
I used trail boss and two .457 round balls in mine, mainly to make people at the range scratch their heads because of the 'one shot, two holes' issue. Found they shot to poa at 25 yds, and the two holes were rarely more than 1" apart. lots of fun, minimal meat damage on squirrels.
Posted By: yosam Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 01/03/12
not a lever, but used a rolling block in 45-70 on rabbits for some time, also on hogs, deer, whatever I hunted, only rifle I had for awhile, shot a lot of 45 cal pistol bullets, some full wc, some rn, usually only held in the case by bullet lube, lots of times on light chares of unique, beware the man with only 1 gun, probably knows how to shoot it!
Posted By: Big_Iron Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 01/04/12
Quite few years back some buddies and I bought a BUNCH of cheap FMJ 30-06 rounds. We found that the best was ground squirrels in the springtime, just before deer season. 60 or 80 rounds on running rats seems to help the gun come to the shoulder a little more naturally when you jump a buck in the thick stuff.
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 01/04/12
I also love the .45-70....great shooting!
Posted By: shouldershot Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 01/24/12
Just shotmy xlr today Woot!
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 03/10/12
Could you neck the 45/70 down to 17cal, and waste a little less meat?
Posted By: rattler Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 03/11/12
we use my Guide Gun in 45-70 for ground squirrels alot.....especially towards summer after they have started to smarten up and hold tight to their holes just peaking out with the top of their heads.......instead of sniping the lil target we have 405 grain hard casts loaded up and hold on dirt grin
Posted By: maddog Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 03/11/12
Dang rattler, that sounds like fun! Puts a whole new meaning to shoot, shoel, shut up! whistle grin

maddog
Posted By: arffdog875 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 03/11/12
Got to watch out for those saber toothed prairie dogs! Might not have enough gun rattler! LOL!
Posted By: Jericho Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 03/11/12
One of my dad's friends used to down load his Remington 722
in .300 Savage and hunt grey squirrels with it. This was back
in the 1960s in PA, I believe it is no longer legal to use
a large rifle for small game anymore in PA.
Posted By: smokinbarrels Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 03/24/12
Originally Posted by Jericho
This was back
in the 1960s in PA, I believe it is no longer legal to use
a large rifle for small game anymore in PA.

Darn government takes the fun out of everything!
Posted By: seasidehunter Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 05/17/12
This is an awesome thread

reminds me of that article about using a 12lb. Mountain Howitzer Canon for small whitetails.....

you guys are gonna love this .....

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

oh ... and nice shooting
© 24hourcampfire