Home
I am looking to scope a couple Marlins. My eyes are going to the crapper...and out at 100 yards the front sight covers the bullseye! So I need a scope. I want a well balanced scope so it would probably be in the 4x range or the 2-7. I may have to sell a scope to do this cuz I have some laying around not being used. Would a Leupy 2.5-8 look okay? What bases do you use for your Marlins?

I have three Marlins, 444, 45-70 and 30-30. Would prefer to get a matte black (is Gloss better looking?) even though I have a stainless 336.

If you have pics post them up.

Thanks.
Nothing special for me, my 444 wears a Burris ff 2. 3x9. My 30-30 has Nikon buckmaster 4x. My 44 mag has nothing yet, but I have a new red field lying around that I might put on.
I had a 2.5X20 FXII Ultralight on my GG.

In my opinion, something in the fixed 2, 2-7X33, or 1-4X20 are just right for a light, handy lever.

I'm presently using a Burris FastFire-II on my .45-70 and Williams peeps on my .30-30.
1894 44MAG has a Redfield 1.75 x 5
My 1895G wears a Leupold m8 2.5x20 and my 336 wears a Weaver V3 1-3x20.
My two Big Boys are...

Front 444-P Marlin with Leo 1-4x20 w/heavy duplex

Rear Marlin 1895 GS 45-70 with Elite 3200 Firefly 1.75-5x32

Both JM stamped by the real Marlin mfg....

[Linked Image]
I looked and found a VX-1 2-7X33 matte scope. So I think I have the scope covered now I need to acquire the bases.

What bases are you guys using? I think I may have a weaver base but don't know about the rings. May have to place an order to Midwayusa.
The 444 wears Burris quick attach rings.
I have Talley Lightweights for mine.
I use the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36. It looks right on my big bore Marlins. Leupold one piece mounts.
I have Leupold Vari-X III's in 1.5-5x20 on a 336C in .30-30 and a 444P. They work great, and I used the .30-30 to take a 136 lb pig last Wednesday. I like the ability to dial the power way down and have lots of field of view if I need/want it. The one on the .30-30 has the heavy duplex.
I have a leupold vx2 1-4x in talley lightweights on my 1895 45-70.
I put a Burris FF 3-9x40 on a 1895 and 1894 and took it off both. Just seemed too big and cumbersome. You mentioned out to 100 yards, so I don't know if that's as far as you're shooting, but I'd look for a Leupold FX-II 4x33 or something along those lines and see how you like it.
On my 1865SS I have an old Weaver El Paso steel tube 2 1/2 power with cross hairs with Warne mounts. On my 336SC .35 Rem. I have an old steel tube Weaver 4X with Tasco mounts.
Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte. I put these on four of my Marlins. They are small and light. They don't interfere with the rifle's balance.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...fle-scope-1-3x-20mm-dual-x-reticle-matte
Another vote for the Weaver 1-3, two other rifles have the Leupold 4X.
tally lightweights on all mine. scopes are bushnell banner 1.5-4.5x32 and nikon monarch 1.5-4.5x20.
Burris Timberline 4x with Leupold QRW rings on my 1895XLR -

[Linked Image]

My 1894 and 1895 both wear Vortex Viper 2-7 x 32 scopes. I believe one of the best kept secrets around.
Originally Posted by valad
I looked and found a VX-1 2-7X33 matte scope. So I think I have the scope covered now I need to acquire the bases.

What bases are you guys using? I think I may have a weaver base but don't know about the rings. May have to place an order to Midwayusa.

Warne one peice base and Burris low zee rings make for a nice low, solid setup. Get that scope as low as possible. Marlin stocks were made for open sights. You cannot get a proper cheek weld with a high mounted scope on a Marlin.
Just got a VX3 1.75-6x32 with heavy duplex for my 1895GS 45-70, am using a leupold QR 1 piece mount, the one that has the releases on the base not the rings...they should be in by Friday. Got low rings coming, may have to have mediums....
Leupold Scout scope on my WWG Alaskan Guide Gun!!
I think you are making a good choice with the Leo vxI-2-7x33.
I had one on my Marlin 336c 30 30 but I replaced it with the vxIII-2.5-8x36.I am now thinking I want the 2-7x33 back on it.For 100 yrd shots 7 power is enough for my 59 year old eyes.The quality and power difference is not worth the price difference.
I used the Leo rifleman base and Burris Z low rings.The color of the scope is a personal choice but I like the matt for a SS gun. Pix is the vxIII-2.5x8x36

Attached picture 336 Marlin 015.JPG
Attached picture 336 Marlin 021.JPG
Another thing about the base.The Weaver base has one forward notch where the Leo base Has two notches.This allows you to mount your scope further forward to give you more eye relief especially on a hard recoiling rifle.The Leupold rifleman basses are sometimes hard to find.Try ebay.That is where I found mine.
Good luck and let us know how you decide to go.
Redfield has a $30.00 rebate on the 2-7X33 right now. I really like the 2-7X32 Nikon Prostaff and the Bushnell 1.5-4.5X32.
Marlin 30-30 4x Burris
Marlin 45-70 2.5 Weaver with post
Marlin 25-35 2.5 Weaver with a dot..
All are half magazine guns with 24 in. barrels, except the .45-70 has a 22" barrel....
Burris 1x4 EER on my Guide Gun, looks almost identical to JD's picture above. I have not shot it in years, I may just load some 405's tonight and go to the range tomorrow.
I have a Leatherwood 2-7x on my Guide gun... shoot some pretty heavy loads and it shoots right on every time, in fact over the weekend I shot a .477 100 yd group with it!
My Leupold 1-4x20, 1.75-5x20, 2-7x33 and Redfield Revelation 2-7x33 have all served time on Marlin levers. Great field of view, eye relief and magnification combinations for a quick handling rifle.
I've had this Simmons scope on my Glenfield for about 10 years. No problems at all. It holds it zero year after year.

Simmons Whitetail Expedition 2x-8x.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
The 444 wears Burris quick attach rings.
Anybody tried any XS stuff like the XS Sight Systems Lever Rail Ghost Ring Sight for Marlin lever guns? I'm interested in their scout-length rail base for my 1895, but I'm not crazy about aluminum. I do like the fact that you can purchase their aperture rear sight.
I'm running a VX-III 1.5-5x20 on a DNZ mount. The DNZ is growing on me. I have not settled on a load yet for the CDS dial. I'd consider the VX-6 1-6x24 and it's generous FOV, if'n I had surplus funds.

[Linked Image]
Because of my older eyes, body, bones, ect, I took off the XS sight and put on a 4 Power Leupy. I have a 1895, 45/70. I also have a #1 in 45/90, with a 3 Power leupy.

The previous owner had used the orginal screws and a bondo like product to attach the rail. We had to drill out the front screw.
Might you be interested in parting with that XS Ghost Ring Sight that you took off your 1895? I might like to try it out on mine before I go the scope route. Thanks. John
Got her the other day and tricked here out.
Hooked her up with a 2x20 EER Nikon and a Wild West lever.
Now to work up a load.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's my 444P with a Leupold M8-4x mounted down low. Just picked it up 2 weeks ago.
[Linked Image]
weaver K-4 on 45-70
I have a handful of Marlins with Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scopes in both VX-III and VX-3 variants. Excellent optics for the money and good enough for the limitations of most big bore calibers.
Right now my GBL just has factory irons....But I'm thinking about going with a Nikon Monarch African 1-4 with the German #4 Reticle...great scope at a great price. It would be the perfect scope for hunting here in Maine. It's either the Monarch or a Skinner Express peep sight.
Scopes on lever guns....something's just wrong with that! Ghost ring with a big ivory bead still works well for me! Yes, will cover up bullsye at 100 yds, but not much of a disadvantage when you're shooting at the Bull's these 45/70's were made to shoot at. Just my opinion!!
[Linked Image]

Here is my jm stamped 45/70 with a leupold vx1 2-7x33
On my 1895SS 45/70 I have an old El Paso steel tube Weaver 2 1/2 power scope I bought off E-Bay. On my 336SC .35 Rem. I have another Weaver steel tube 4X I bought for 25 bucks at a gun show.
Both are entirely satisfactory for my use.
I like low-powered scopes mounted low over the bore. The gun balances and carries better, plus I get better stock contact with my cheek looking thru the scope. Here's my choices. All my Marlins use low Kwik Site rings with either Weaver or Kwik Site bases.
Bob

Marlin 336 .30-30, Weaver Classic 2.5X
[Linked Image]

Marlin 336SC .30-30, Lyman 3X
[Linked Image]

Marlin 336MX in .308 Marlin, 4X Leupold
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire