Home
I do not need this rifle, but love the looks. Pistol grip, short mag, short barrel. Looks like a great bear gun. I do not bear hunt though......... http://pics.reedssports.com/gb/00111ZW86B1.JPG

Tell me why this is something I should not dream about!
That's a neat looking 1886.

I'm feeling pain just looking at the buttplate.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
That's a neat looking 1886.

I'm feeling pain just looking at the buttplate.

That honestly is the only thing that I do not like. frown
I think the barrel is too short for my tastes. There's your excuse! smile
Every time you looked at the barrel and read "Made in Japan" you'd get ill.
I had a Browning 1886 Rifle with that type steel buttplate. Now that rifle was heavy and therefore the recoil was less than what you would see out of that Trapper. Recoil was ok for 20/30 rounds but after that it was not your friend.

If you can associate Made in Japan with superb metal work you will appreciate the quality of what they craft.
I wouldn't talk anyone out of purchasing such a lovely carbine!
Originally Posted by North61
I wouldn't talk anyone out of purchasing such a lovely carbine!

Me neither too! Don't you know this place is crawling with enablers?!!! grin
That'd be great where I hunt bear.
I should add-
Everything I want is everything I see. grin
it reminds me of my 450 timber carbine. and that thing is a beast and has a decellerator on it. i call it my headache gun. but that 1886 looks nice. probably not nice to shoot though, even with mild factory loads. and throw some buffalo bore style in that thing and you're asking for pain.
I had one that was a lemon. It tore the case mouth of the empty cartridge when you ejected the empty, and grouped 5 to 7 inches at 50 yards. I tried to shoot it for a week, then sent it on down the road.

My 1895 Marlin Cowboy in 45-70 doesn't tear up cases, and shoots under 2 inches at 100 with barrel sights. I like that a lot better.
I have a regular 45-70 in a Marlin 1895, and that thing is accurate and FUN to shoot. Also have a H&R Buffalo Classic that has a butt plate like the Winchester. I load that puppy down. It shoots good, but it can get your attention.
I have one of these trappers but have not shot it yet. Let me know what to expect when someone does.
oh hell no! everything about that carbine is wrong. you would hate it! it would hurt your kids when you shot it.

what is the website for it? lol
don't know how bad it would hurt truthfully. some times those butt plates/ shape displace the recoil some. beautiful rifle!
if you buy it be sure to tell us all the salacious details
I like it , love short barrel lever guns

Are you buying pretty or buying useful?
Pretty much the same as the Guide Gun and #1 don't like the balance of the 18.5" barrel and #2 am not a fan of pistol grip lever guns. That coupled with the 1/4 moon steel but plate, would be enuff to put me off but not a whole lot of other folk I think.
If you like it buy it
Have you looked at the Winchester Model 1886 "Extra Light Weight" (Miroku repo), chambered in .45-70? Mine balances and shoots well with the 22" long barrel (I have a Williams "Foolproof" receiver mounted on it). Though dscontinued, I still see new ones selling for $1,100.00 or so at various gun shows. Though it doesn't have a pistol grip, it does have a more comfortable "shotgun" configured butt stock.
Originally Posted by swampwolf
Have you looked at the Winchester Model 1886 "Extra Light Weight" (Miroku repo), chambered in .45-70? Mine balances and shoots well with the 22" long barrel (I have a Williams "Foolproof" receiver mounted on it). Though dscontinued, I still see new ones selling for $1,100.00 or so at various gun shows. Though it doesn't have a pistol grip, it does have a more comfortable "shotgun" configured butt stock.

Agreed, I have the same '86 and love it, the balance is perfect IMO I did have the 'light strike problem but did the rebounding hammer cancel and that cured that. My wife carries a Marlin 45-70 with a 20" barrel in her scabbard and that balances nice as well but has the pistol grip which I am not fond of but she is so who argues with a woman lol
What is the "light strike" problem? I've never heard of this issue.
I found this handy carbine made by Big Horn Armory in Cody, Wyoming. Short, chambered in 500 S&W, launching a 455 grain bullet at 2200 fps. More potent than a 45-70, you do need to hold on when you shoot it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Well, that's what I got, the extra light. The button plate was the killer.

Originally Posted by swampwolf
Don't do it.

There, did that help?
With a .45-70, you don't need to waste money on a rifle; just showing the cartridge to an animal will cause it to drop dead. (At least, that is what I have gathered from reading about it over the years.)

Shrapnel, you have way too many nice guns. In the interest of the present interest in wealth redistribution, please PM me at the earliest, convenient time.
© 24hourcampfire