Home
I was looking through a Barnes reloading manual, and they have 1895 Marlin loads for their 250 grain TTSX FP's rated at 2600+ FPS from a 24 inch barrel. Holy crap! I had to try them, so I bought some & loaded them a little lower than listed maximum with AA1680. I don't have a chronograph, so I'm guesstimating they should be around 2500 FPS out of the shorter barrel of my Guide Gun. I just got done shooting 10 of them, and I must say that they got my attention. My gun is one of the ported ones, and the muzzle flash is unbelievable, but the kick isn't TOO bad. I was putting them through the same hole at 25 yards, so I definitely believe the accuracy is there. Has anyone actually tried these on game?
I bet they knock the snot out of deer at that speed.
I'm pushing them with 55.0 grains H4198 (slightly below book max of 56.5). Did not chrony them. In a 1985 SBL. Have shot a few deer with them. They do hit hard, but as far as exit hole and blood trail, not as impressive as a smaller caliber over 3000 FPS. But, pop one through the lungs, and you should be able to find blood on most any ground surface, and 80 yards max. track job.
I tried them last year for the first time, ended up shooting 2 pigs and one deer with them.

I loaded them in T/C Carbine that is really light (right at 5#) thinking the lighter bullet weight with milder powder charges might help recoil some.

they shot well, internal damage was substantial...i was pushing them a good bit slower, probably running 2000/2100 or thereabouts, in the 16" contender barrel, with H4198.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking plate of ash trays you have there. smile
© 24hourcampfire