Home
Posted By: badwolf Win 71 scope mount? - 03/06/16
I have a win 71 that has 3 holes drilled and tapped into the side of the receiver. Wondering if you know what type of scope mount might have been used and where to find one?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/06/16
hard to say. there were several around back in the day. weaver, pachmyer, williams, to name a few. you would need to mike the holes OC and then go to brownells, etc and see what fits.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/06/16
Those holes are for a peep sight. Williams FP71. Maybe even Lyman. Midway USA has the Williams.
Posted By: badwolf Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/07/16
They're right across the action in a straight line. Pretty sure for a scope mount. I see Williams still makes a mount got to measure hole spacing
Posted By: tmitch Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/07/16
This came off an early M71. It's an old model Williams with a push button release. Early M71s (Pre-war?) didn't have D&T peep sight holes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: badwolf Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/08/16
My holes are spaced 3/4" between them, guess it's not for a Williams.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/08/16
Blasphemy...
Posted By: tmitch Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/08/16
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Blasphemy...

Agreed, today it is. Back when you could buy them at the local hardware store, or order them direct from Winchester, it wasn't.
Posted By: badwolf Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/08/16
Agreed, since it's done a scope might make it easier to work up loads
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/10/16
Just having fun...
Posted By: badwolf Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/12/16
Brownells says the Williams mount has 3 holes spaced 3/4" , must have changed from the one pictured.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Win 71 scope mount? - 03/12/16
Originally Posted by badwolf
Brownells says the Williams mount has 3 holes spaced 3/4" , must have changed from the one pictured.

Probably did. Mine's an early design before they came up with the current thumb wheel nut $ stud design. A lot of old Winchesters got mucked up with those mounts, but it was the thing to do at the time. Who'd a thunk those old lever guns would be worth anything nowdays! crazy
© 24hourcampfire