Home
Posted By: memtb Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/01/16
I just got a 45-70 Guide Gun (Remington), and want to try out a Ghost Ring. What are some suggestions? Would like to keep cost low, as I may end up with a scope! Thanks in advance, memtb
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/01/16

this is about the least cost I've seen...

added one to a '94 Marlin 45 Colt...

scope may still be your best bet...sumthing 1-5x20....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...re-2001-and-1895-pre-1994-aluminum-black

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...t-marlin-336-lever-action-aluminum-black
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/01/16
I have not seen any cheap ones but I have an XS Ghost Ring on my Browning 1886 and really like it.
The nice thing about the Marlin is that it is easy to scope.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/01/16
Either one of the sights that Tikkanut suggested, with the aperature removed, make a great ghost ring.

I have an FP on my M94 Winchester I use once in a while with the ap removed, and have used an FP on my Guide gun the same way.

Though I can't mount one on my Winchester, I've developed a preference for a red-dot sight for quick and nasty type shooting instead of a ghost ring.

It may cost more than you want to spend, but a Burris Fastfire III would get you on-target about as quick as anything.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/01/16
Another option is the Williams Ace in the Hole combination scope rail/aperture sight. Remove the screw in aperture for a ghost ring. XS makes a similar one but the rail goes all the way to the rear sight dovetail for use with a scout type scope setup.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/01/16
Excellent suggestion.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/02/16
[img]http://www.skinnersights.com/images/95EXPRESSMOUNTWSCOPEe.jpg?867[/img]
Posted By: memtb Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/02/16
Thanks all, I have a few things to research! memtb
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 09/19/16
I loved my XS Ghost Ring on my 45-70 Guide Gun. I had to go to a scope when my bifocals made it difficult to see the front sight and the ring at the same time. Now, I have a Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope on the gun.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 10/29/16
Originally Posted by tmitch
Another option is the Williams Ace in the Hole combination scope rail/aperture sight. Remove the screw in aperture for a ghost ring. XS makes a similar one but the rail goes all the way to the rear sight dovetail for use with a scout type scope setup.

[Linked Image]

That is a sweet setup.
Posted By: gunnut1969 Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 10/31/16
I bought a skinner for my 1895 cowboy, took out the aperture and use it as a ghost ring, works great for me.
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Ghost Ring for Marlin - 11/03/16
I have a Marlin Outfitter 444 with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20 on it. I figure it's better for longish ranges, say out to 200 yards, than the 45-70, and a smidge less recoil, hence the scope.

(Not a big-bore, but I have a Marlin 336CS in 30-30 with that same model Leupold scope on it, too, again, for shooting out to 200 yards.)

I have the Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun with the old Ashley Outdoors ghost ring rear and white line ramp front on it. Wanted to keep it with fast open sights on it for a close range thumper.

I have a Marlin 1894 44 Magnum with the Ashley Outdoors ghost ring rear and white line ramp front on it for a fast-handling close range carbine.

I have the Marlin Cowboy 45-70 with a Williams 5D rear sight and a Williams target globe front sight for precision or long range work.
© 24hourcampfire