Home
Posted By: JoeBob So how did I do? - 10/31/16
I just picked up a 1973 made Marlin 1895 45-70 for $440. I would say it is in very good condition. The bluing is worn right at the balance spot from carrying, otherwise it is in pretty good shape. It also has a Williams receiver sight which was exactly what I wanted.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: So how did I do? - 11/01/16
I think you did well!!! Sounds like a good one!!!
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: So how did I do? - 11/01/16
Good snag there.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: So how did I do? - 11/01/16
I cleaned it up last night and the barrel is bright and shiny with no discernable wear. I looked at the bolt face and it almost looks like a new gun that hasn't been fired. I think I found one that has been carried a lot, but shot little.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: So how did I do? - 11/01/16
When we were kids back when them rifles came out, my compadre snagged one about that vintage. It was back in the early/ mid 70's. He made some impressive shots with it. But then we could see in them days too! laugh
Posted By: Frontiersman Re: So how did I do? - 11/03/16
I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at that price.

Congratulations on a great find!
Posted By: JoeBob Re: So how did I do? - 11/06/16
I was wrong. It is actually a 1972 model and it is one of the first few thousand made and has Ballard rifling instead of microgroove. I shot it yesterday and it was the first time I had ever really shot a 45-70 except for a few cowboy loads in an old trapdoor. I had some of the Hornady Leverevolutions. Recoil was stout but not unpleasant. Actually is was a lot of fun to shoot.

It was fun to see the effect of those big bullets. I had an old computer tower that I just demolished. Once at about 60 yards I actually knocked it over. When you consider that it probably weighs twenty pounds, that was pretty impressive.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: So how did I do? - 11/06/16
Sounds like a keeper!!!! wink
Posted By: deerstalker Re: So how did I do? - 11/06/16
JoeBob. load that puppy up with 405g cast over trailboss and you will be in love.

dang good price too! especially for a pre safety, ballard rifled.
© 24hourcampfire