Home
My neighbor picked up a cheapy Henry lever .22 the other day and asked me if I'd sight it in for him. Danged if it doesn't shoot 8 inches right at 25 yds. So I look the sights over and see that windage and elevation are both adjusted at the rear sight. Well, I take a brass punch and try to drift the rear sight in its dovetail over to the left... and try, and try, etc. It WON'T move!!! What am I doing wrong here? Is there something that I don't know that I should?
Try moving the sight to the right. If you can remove it to the right, try to file a small amount off the sights dovetail a smal amount at a time and try it again.
Tim
You're correct, in that drifting the rear sight to the left in it's dovetail is the windage adjustment for zeroing that Henry.

If it's anything like my little Henry was when I removed the rear sight to install a slot filler blank (when installing a peep sight) - you're gonna need a much heavier hammer, mount the rifle solidly in a bench vise, and give the brass drift solid whacks to get it to move at all.

BTW - don't forget to first add a strip of masking tape around the barrel either just in front or in the rear of the sight before drifting it (and mark it w/pencil) - so you'll know what the sight's starting position was, if it goes for a little high jump when you whack it good.

© 24hourcampfire