Home
Does anyone own one of these rifles that can provide feedback? Is it a good rifle? How does it perform, being lever action? How much are the bullets for this round?

I am looking into buying one. Any feedback is appreciated.
A friend of mine bought one a year ago when he got the 17HMR itch. I tried to talk him into a bolt action because the Ruger 96 just didn't look like an accurate gun. I was seated next to him when he zeroed his new rifle at 100yds, and all his shots were well inside an inch. So much for not "looking accurate." That said, I just boughtmy first 17HMR in a Marlin 917 with hopes of 1/2" groups at 100, but haven't shot it yet.
I owned a Ruger 96/17 for a year and just traded it last week.I just could not get consistent accuracy with any ammo.I feel the main reason was the heavy trigger pull with a lot of creep.When I say heavy,I mean really heavy and the platic butt plate made the rifle look cheap.Good idea from Ruger but needs refinements.
I have a 96/22 that I bought a 17HM2 barrel for. It shoots very well and is a fun little gun.

Bart
© 24hourcampfire