Home
Posted By: velcro Butt Pad Spacer - 01/12/13
All the suppliers seem to be out of White Butt Pad spacers. Does anyone make there own & what material do you use?
The Dog
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 01/17/13
I cut WLS' from the side of a large white plastic (washed) Clorox bleach bottle, saved from Momma's trash toss.

Slice off the top neck/bottom & down one side, before flattening the white plastic out for marking/cutting.

The plastic can be pencil marked/outlined, around either the buttplate or the naked end of the buttstock (held vertically while scribing).

I use the BP, so I can also mark the screw hole locations.

I cut around the marked-out spacer, about 1/4" oversize, and punch or drill out the holes for the screws.

Mount the spacer on the stock, sandwiched by the BP & held by the BP screws.

Pare off (carefully) the 1/4" excess with a sharp knife blade (smaller = better).

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 01/19/13
Do the bleach bottles have thick enough plastic? Seems like they may be too thin? I need to do this for a Marlin Mountie.
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 01/20/13
I've used the lid from a Cool Whip container. It doesn't take much to be noticeable.
Posted By: velcro Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 01/20/13
All good suggestions but like Sakoluvr said I think I would like something a little thicker. I will come up with something,when I do I,ll post it here.
Posted By: rick59 Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 01/21/13
Originally Posted by velcro
All the suppliers seem to be out of White Butt Pad spacers. The Dog

Midway has these in stock:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918520/pachmayr-recoil-pad-spacer-1-16-white
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 01/24/13

It's not like it'd actually cost either of you a dime, beyond the half-hour's time it'd take to try something out-of-the-box.

Posted By: vonfatman Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 02/12/13
I have read that the lid off a white (duh) 5gal bucket is the material used by many to fill that space. I need to do that with my 57M.

Good luck.
Bob
Posted By: BrentD Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 02/12/13
I'd sell you one off of an original if you want.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Butt Pad Spacer - 02/12/13
Originally Posted by BrentD
I'd sell you one off of an original if you want.

I should have added, it's a 1952 Marlin 39A. I think I just assumed that must be what you wanted because I have 39s on my mind right now.
© 24hourcampfire