Home
Posted By: dogzapper Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 08/07/06
Hi Guys,

I have a really pristine Marlin Model 39A that I want to scope with a 2X7 Leupold.

The receiver is flat-topped and is drilled and tapped with two holes.

What is the cleanest scope mounting setup?

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Posted By: Brimfish Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 11/04/06
I don't know the "cleanest" but mine just has a Weaver grooved base screwed down with two screws too tight for me to remove so I just leave the base on all the time. The scope is a made in Denver Redfield 1 and 3/4x5 scope mounted with Weaver Rings. Bought the rig in 1979. For me, that rifle is more fun to shoot with no scope. They are heavy with a scope and fully loaded. Brimfish
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 02/10/07
Dogzapper:

Even money you'll take the scope off after a few weeks and replace it with a receiver sight.

(Damn smiley thing doesn't seem to work today.)

- TJM
Yep, here is what you want to do:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PPosey Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 03/03/07
I have that same reciever sight in brand new condition with the target knobs and want to sell it,,,,have found it from $75 -$85 dollars,,,,anybody wanta make a good offer? Need to scope mine, my eyes just arn't up to the peep. I need a scope base, also trying to figure out the best option on that
Posted By: Nobody Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 03/04/07
I too am no longer able to shoot with iron sights, even receiver 'peep' sights so I've had to scope my 39A. I used the Weaver #90 base since it allows me to use the regular centerfire 7/8" grip rings rather than the 3/8" tip-off rimfire rings. Some folks think it's ugly (they're probably right wink ) but it's hell for stout & with med rings it puts the 1.5-6X B&L scope down as close as I want it to the hammer extension. I had a Williams 5D receiver sight on it for several years & do like the looks better but eyesight leaves me little choice. Mine's a 1973 production with the two holes on top. Here's pix

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PPosey Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 03/04/07
I bought one of those today,#90 scope base that is,I was concerned that it did not fit the top flush,the gun is flat and the base is concave,,,that normal???,,,not shot any yet though,,,,
Posted By: Nobody Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 03/04/07
Yep, I was a little concerned about that 'concave' portion too. Looking at it real closely tho, there's about 1/8" on each side of the concave part that is flat the full length of the part that fits on the receiver. Granted, the attaching screws aren't very long & are counter sunk waaay down into the base, so I didn't really 'crank' down on them when attaching the base. I used blue Loctite & just snugged 'em down pretty good. My B&L scope is pretty heavy for size & in several years on the 39A, there's been no movement whatever. I wouldn't worry 'bout the concave part.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 03/04/07
Started shooting today but groups arn't that great,,,,2 inches at 75 yards is the best I have got with a 3x9-40 scope,,,used CCI subsHP LR, CCI standard velocityHP LR, Fed bulk...CCI subs did the 2" at 75

not impressed so far
Just mounted a scope on one of these on Sunday for a buddy. They sent a factory steel base with his, which Brownell's lists for about 7 or 8 bucks. It matches perfectly and runs forward over the rounded ridge forward of the milled flat. I used Weaver low rings 'cause I had 'em.

The scope was a pentax 4x gameseeker and there were zero difficulties encountered...
art
Might add they also sent a hammer extension to clear the scope...
Posted By: PPosey Re: Marlin 39A Scope Mounting - 03/05/07
What kinda groups was it getting???
© 24hourcampfire