Home
Posted By: hntnnut Good day in the lava - 10/28/12
I loaded up the dog, gun and headed for the local chucker hills this morning. I added and extra 2 liters of water this time for a total of 1.5 gallons and we were able to stay out till noon this time( we ran out of water about the time we got into birds last week). Found 5 coveys from 8 to 30 birds and knocked down 5 birds with the little 28 but lost one to the rocks. Also picked up a load of horn, this was only about half of what I found but had to leave.

Richard
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mesa Re: Good day in the lava - 10/30/12
Sounds like a great day! I have a 28 exactly like yours; love it.

Those lava beds are tough going! Your dog still looks game for more, tho!! You gotta love them, too.

Water is always the constraint, for sure. I remember my sarge: "No such thing as too much water, just too much weight!"
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Good day in the lava - 10/31/12
I get down your way on business sometimes. We should go make life rough on some birds one of these days...if you'll let someone hunt near you with a 16ga. whistle
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Good day in the lava - 10/31/12
Originally Posted by Mesa
Sounds like a great day! I have a 28 exactly like yours; love it.

Those lava beds are tough going! Your dog still looks game for more, tho!! You gotta love them, too.

Water is always the constraint, for sure. I remember my sarge: "No such thing as too much water, just too much weight!"

He does have a pretty serious look, doesn't he. I think he hates wild chucker as much as all us other chuckar hunters.

VENDETTA! smirk
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Good day in the lava - 10/31/12
Way cool. I could use a dog like him up here in the Snake R canyon. I Haven't tried for the chukars yet, as the quail are hard enough to recover without a dog and they tend to stay in the "easy" spots. I keep hoping to be at the same place/same time one day when they are down at the river for water. Now that it's started raining that's going to be very unlikely.

Thanks for the pics.

What brand is your 28?
Posted By: Mesa Re: Good day in the lava - 11/01/12
Yeah, it does turn into a lifelong obsession. Guess I just don't like being "chuckled"!
Posted By: hntnnut Re: Good day in the lava - 11/01/12
Thanks for the replies, Valsdad The shotgun is a CZ redhead mini with 28" barrels.

Richard
Posted By: Mesa Re: Good day in the lava - 11/09/12
For me a 28" barreled 28 balances really well. Any shorter and those light barrels just don't swing right for me. (Strangely, I've always shot 26" 20s fairly well).
© 24hourcampfire