Home
Posted By: battue Eagles being birthed - 03/26/14
Not sure where to put this, however since Eagles probably take their fair share of fish and upland game, posted it here.

The Eaglets-is that right?-are due to start hatching today. Been interesting to watch, when and if you catch something interesting, which isn't often. However have caught them flying into the nest, and for a bird that size they do it with grace. This AM caught them changing sitting shifts. Interesting to watch the new sitter pull the litter fluff up under the body to keep the cold wind from getting to the eggs.

Have also caught them bringing rabbits that they killed into the nest.

It has been in the low 20s here and the wind has been moving that nest more than a little. Probably a little chilly up there.

http://www.pixcontroller.com/eagles/

If the camera doesn't come on, click on the web page at the bottom of the first paragraph.

They have been having server issues all morning. Looks like it is temporarily down again.

Back on: Give it a few seconds and it should come up live.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Eagles being birthed - 03/29/14
Been watching that myself....believe that 1 of the 3 eggs have hatched.
Posted By: battue Re: Eagles being birthed - 03/30/14
Yea it was cool to have a birds eye view of an Eagle nest. Been a cold steady rain here for the last 10hours. I'm guessing the nest fluff is soaked. Going to be a rough night for a day old Eagee.

If you looked at the chat comments it is absolutely amazing of the number of people who are completely clueless of natures way. All the talk about "Mommy" and
"Daddy" and many of them are either adults or well on the way.

A shark contrast between that web sight and here and the bad part is the Pa Game Commission who is in charge of the whole event gets almost none of the credit.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Eagles being birthed - 03/30/14
Frequently the first hatchling will kill any others. I had an active nest about 250 feet from my house in Kodiak for years, good view from my second story office.
There are now two.

Rained till late then turned to light snow. First time she wouldn't get off the nest for a shift change. Wind is blowing pretty good, but all seem to be hanging in.
Weather has taken a major change for the better.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Eagles being birthed - 04/02/14
Now three eaglets in the nest....
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Eagles being birthed - 04/03/14

Eagles are amazing.........

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WillARights Re: Eagles being birthed - 04/03/14
Anybody that grew up on, or next to the Monongahela, and knows how filthy and lifeless it was just a generation ago, will recognize how significant this nest is, directly on that river.

I would have thot the Allegheny, before the Mon.

Posted By: JMR40 Re: Eagles being birthed - 04/04/14
There are a pair nesting on a local college campus not 5 miles from my home. They have a camera on it where you can watch 24 hours a day.

You can view here, it is dark now, so not much to see.

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/photos/

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

There were 2 eggs, only 1 hatched. A photo of mom staying on the eggs after a snow here shortly before hatching.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire