Home
Posted By: Ky221 Which Bell? - 11/10/16
I would like some input on everyone's suggestions for a new Bell. I am in Ky, hunting deep hollows ( we callem hollars), Thick cover, and my setter tends to run big so a bell with some volume would be nice. Hard to keep track of her at times.

What's everyone like when it comes to volume and are there any negatives to a loud bell? Dogs hearing being damaged?
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Which Bell? - 11/10/16
Garmin makes a pretty nice one that won't hurt the dogs ears.
Posted By: tgoode Re: Which Bell? - 11/11/16
I've never tried a bell before but if I'm hunting in deep cover I've had really good success with a Dogtra 2500 tone and beep collar.

It has different modes that can be set to beep every so often while the dog is hunting and then changes the beeping pattern when the dog is on point. It also has a point only mode that stays silent until the dog goes on point and always allows you to locate the dog when you need to by beeping the collar remotely.

For me I like notification of when a dog goes on point so that I can move in for the shot. Otherwise I like things to be quiet so that I can enjoy nature and the surroundings.

I can appreciate that a bell would be less maintenance as it doesn't require it to be charged.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Which Bell? - 11/12/16
Had a beeper. I like hearing a bell.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Which Bell? - 11/12/16
I like bells too...beepers drive me crazy....I have no idea what brand it is though since I bought it over 25 years ago and I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days...
I doubt a dog could carry one big enough to damage it's hearing...
Posted By: kingston Re: Which Bell? - 11/12/16
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I like bells too...beepers drive me crazy....I have no idea what brand it is though since I bought it over 25 years ago and I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days...
I doubt a dog could carry one big enough to damage it's hearing...

X2^^^^

I''ve got a couple bells that I've had for years.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Which Bell? - 11/12/16
I used a small bell on my little Beagle while hunting tall sage for quail. I really helped me keep track of her when she'd circle around, AND give me an idea where birds might be bumped up. She adjusted to wearing it within minutes.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Which Bell? - 11/13/16
My setter wears a bell now but it's a cheapie. I know there are some huger end bells out there and some people claim to hear them 200 yards away.

I think I'm gonna try the LCS long range bell.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Which Bell? - 11/13/16
Those little brass one sound gay...LOL

Here's the one I use....

Works on tree dogs or bird dogs...grin

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ky221 Re: Which Bell? - 11/13/16
That's much larger than the bell I'm using.

Exactly what I need
© 24hourcampfire