Home
Foggy up here on the Mountain today, end of Hunting Season Blahs starting to set in...I re-read a couple of my favorite Nash Buckingham stories from "The Best of Nash Buckingham", hard to find book these days, but if you want a glimpse into the Halcyon days of wingshooting, look no further! So, how about it guys; who's your favorite? I've got some reading time until September...
Bob Brister, 'cause he's a nerd like me. Nash Buckingham is great, only wish his stories were easier to find. There's some good guys in Shooting Sportsman magazine, and I love looking at fine shotguns.
GunGeek, Agreed on Brister and Shooting Sportsman; as far as that magazine is concerned, Michael McIntosh comes to mind. Lookout.
Posted By: pak Re: Favorite Wingshooting writer? - 05/13/06
Gene Hill
pak, Gene Hill is also at the top of my list; I suppose as much for his views on his Lab Retrievers as his observations on wingshooting. I was fortunate to meet Gene in 1987 at the National Championship for Pointing Dogs at the Ames Plantation in Grand Junction,TN.; we were in the mounted gallery following, as I remember, a Setter name of Tekoa Mountain Sunrise and his bracemate; I spotted Gene and reined my horse over alongside him and said "Mr, Hill, I just wanted to let you know how many nights your stories have put me to sleep." (meaning this in the best possible way) Gene replied: "I think I put most of my readers to sleep." We rode along for a few minutes together and I found him the Gentleman and Sport I always him to be through his stories. He will be missed! Lookout.
Posted By: pak Re: Favorite Wingshooting writer? - 05/14/06
Last count I have 6 of his books. He was modest and reflective even though he was a very good shotgunner. I reread his books often.pak
Steve Smith, Ben O. Williams and Michael McIntosh are my current favorites. George Bird Evans is a personal all time favorite, as is Gene Hill.
Steve Smith and Gene Hill are to me the left and right barrels of a good quaility side by side.
Charles Waterman and Gene Hill are pretty good
Gene Hill. too many "how to" guys out there, Gene got to the heart of it.
In no particular order;
Waterman, Hill, Brister, Trueblood, McIntosh and Vance.
© 24hourcampfire