Home
Posted By: Murphy New Shiloh.... - 09/29/09
A delimna has arrived. I am going to order a new Sharps next week, maybe week after, whenever I get to Big Timber. I think the 45's are very good versatile calibers but too common amongst the BPC shooters. I want to be different and am considering a 50 2.5" in a saddle rifle, with a 26" inch heavy-half barrel, with some minor upgrades. What thinks ye folks in regard to its use as a hunting rifle, not the target line for this one. I have a similar saddle rifle in 40-70 SS with standard weight etc. What about the 26", should I go longer with the fifty? It is essentially a ninty grain case, more or less depending on powder used and bullet type.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/29/09
I have no experience with .50s, but why don't you ask your question over on the Shiloh forum? There seem to be a few .50 shooters that hang out there. Kurt comes to mind.

Sounds like a cool rifle, but all Shilohs are cool.

Paul
Posted By: 1minute Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/30/09
Wonderful rifles with more built in quality than any other production firearm I know of in the states. The suggestion to go straight to the source (Shilo forum) is a good one. Think you will find that you're really not being a radical at all with the 50. Be prepared for a fairly long weight. I'd order it now.
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/30/09
I've shot a 5090 in a Shiloh. There's a reason they send the standard weight barrels back to get the heavyweights installed.
If you want something "different" in the saddle rifle might think about the 44-77. If you're dead set on a 50 go with the LRE, or a #1 with the heavy octagon 32 inch.
50's a good shooter but the recoil is about like a 12ga 3in.in the heavy guns, makes my eyes cross just thinking about it in the saddle rifle.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/30/09
One thing most overlook when getting a 50. EVERYTHING you have for reloading is too small!! Loading blocks, shell holders, dies, sometimes even the press has to be special for the 50 caliber cartridge guns.
Posted By: Murphy Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/30/09
Originally Posted by 1minute
Wonderful rifles with more built in quality than any other production firearm I know of in the states. The suggestion to go straight to the source (Shilo forum) is a good one. Think you will find that you're really not being a radical at all with the 50. Be prepared for a fairly long weight. I'd order it now.

I hope you mean a long wait....yeah, they told me 16 months. I am going through there (Big Timber) in about two weeks. I'll stop and see Heather, work out the details and get one ordered.
Posted By: Murphy Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/30/09
Thanks for the input guys, but one question. What's recoil?

I load and shoot several 50 calibers guns now, Jeffery, N.E., it all works in my Redding Big Boss or T-7 press. The loading blocks and several other things like trimmer pilots are hard to find for the big rimmed stuff. I want a short compact dainty little 11 pound rifle that's why I want the saddle gun. I can get longer barrel but want to stick with the half & half barrel, but they will only make the fifty in a heavy barrel so the weight should be enough. The saddle gun is not lighter except for barrel length. I like that stock config and the Creedmore trigger plate. I do need to get up to speed with the 50-90 though, it is new for me.
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/30/09
You going with the slow twist for the light bullets or going fast with the 700's?
With it taking anywhere from 100-125grs of 1f to adequately fill the big case, I'ld think 26 inches is gonna be hell for muzzleblast, and loose a bit of velocity.....
But have fun with it, don't forget to check see if they got anything on the rack that'll suit.
Posted By: 1minute Re: New Shiloh.... - 09/30/09
I hope you mean a long wait....

Either way. Wait or weight. Got a 45-90 long range express a couple years ago. That was a 2-year wait. I'm still dialing things in and would like to use it on elk some day. It's a long weight though, as it came in at near 15 lbs. Not sure I want to pack it up the mountain.

I need to quit going to the office and put in about 2 months full time learning the intricacies of loading and shooting.
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: New Shiloh.... - 10/01/09
Ranch 13--You know how it is. You can lead a horse to water---
© 24hourcampfire