Home
Posted By: Blackfly1 Cleaning the BPCR? - 03/30/11
I've shot flint, percussion shotguns and rifles for more than 35 years. In the last few years I've added inlines to the list. Now I am getting into BPCR and BP shotguns. I'm curious how folks clean and lube them during a range session and at the end of the day.
Thanks
Bfly
Posted By: 1minute Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 03/30/11
I start with soap and water, get that dried out, and finish with some powder solvent and a little oil.

If there are some leading issues, a long soak with kroil or turpentine might be the first step.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 03/30/11
You will find BPC rifles a lot easier to clean than our beloved muzzleloaders.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 03/30/11
Almost any solution with a water base will take care of routine cleaning. Following Mike Venturino's advice, I use water with a bit of Windex with vinegar. Dry and oil thoroughly. Of late I use Eezox for my final coating. Ballistol is very popular, but I stopped trusting it. I also believe it is important to clean and re-oil again after a day or two.

Dealing with leading is a whole other issue, and the best advice I can offer is it's better to avoid it than deal with it after it occurs. There are a whole bunch of ways to approach getting it out, from liquids to a very tight patch pounded through. Don't think that because there is no lead on your basic cleaning patch that there is none in there. A tight patch and/or a borescope may very well tell a different story.

Paul
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 03/30/11
I hope Sharpsguy posts his cleaning technique. Extremely easy and wihout the use of soap, water and all that other BS. I use it and it takes minutes to perform. It's his method so I'll let him offer it up. jorge
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 03/30/11
During a range session, just a damp patch (plain water or spit works fine), probably won't do any lubing during a shoot.
When it's time to put the guns up I use a solution of simplegreen and water on a couple of patches followed by a couple of dry patches, more wet followed by dry if necessary. Then when all clean oily patch with ballistol or similar.
These folks make very good cleaners and oil http://www.sageoutfitters.com/cleaningsupplies.html
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/01/11
Thanks. At the range, I've used Windex and at home for cleanup, I've used a homemade mix I call 'Snake Oil'on my other BP guns. It's equal mix of Murphy's Oil Soap, peroxide and alcohol. Guess I'll use it for my cartidge guns, too.
Thanks again
Bfly
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/01/11
jorge--Thanks for the flowers. My system is too simple, effective, and inexpensive for most people. If I post it up, folks will just want to argue about it. Besides, these guys seem to be happy with what they are doing.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/01/11
Oh come on. Inquiring minds and all that... grin

Paul
Posted By: mtnfisher Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/01/11
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
jorge--Thanks for the flowers. My system is too simple, effective, and inexpensive for most people. If I post it up, folks will just want to argue about it. Besides, these guys seem to be happy with what they are doing.

I'd be interested in hearing your method.

Thanks.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/01/11
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

Simplicity is an art onto itself and more flowers for you: When it comes to anytning to do with BPCR, when Sharpsguy says "jump" my reply is "how high"...Truer words were never uttered on this Forum...
Posted By: Clarence Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/01/11
Since sharpsguy won't post his simple method, I'll psot the one that has worked well for me, even in the humid southeast.

I don't clean during a match or shooting session, simply blowing a couple extra times before starting to shoot the next relay or group.

After finishing for the day, I blow 6-8 deep breaths with the blow-tube, run 2-4 cleaning patches damp with a mixture of water and a dash of Murphy's Oil Soap until one comes out completely clean. That one swabs the face of the muzzle. Then I run a couple of dry patches, and complete the job by one good wet patch of Eezox. After the patch comes out of the barrel, it is used to wipe all metal, including the sight.

After this treatment, the rifle is put into storage until the next time I use it, whether that be a week or a year. It takes longer to type it than actually do it.

I've never had any problem with barrel or surface rust, even in very humid climates. It takes longer to clean the cases when I get home than to clean the rifle.

Clarence
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/02/11
Wow! That is easy! Even I can do that.
Thanks
Bfly
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/02/11
Close! and almost as easy and I'm definitively going to give it a try next time.
Posted By: MnFn Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/02/11
I wish you would share it. So what if someone wants to argue about it? Just don't engage in it.

As a potentially future shooter, one of my many questions was, how do you clean the things?
Posted By: Clarence Re: Cleaning the BPCR? - 04/02/11
One of the hardest things to do is to convince beginning BPCR shooters that they don't need to clean after every 10-15 shots. You almost have to hide their cleaning rod-as bad as trying to get someone to quit smoking.

The second hardest thing is to convince beginning BPCR shooters that the cleaning I do is all that is needed. I have a couple that still insist on a complete scrubbing with wire brush, modern solvents, etc., as soon as he gets home. Totally wasted effort, IMHO. Probably shortens barrel life and may actually encourage leading.

Clarence
© 24hourcampfire