Home

Anyone know the twist rate in the 50-90?
Dale.

If your referring to the Winchester 1885 High Wall 50-90 limited series BPCR it has the 1/26 ROT.
Kurt,

Not arguing here, however, that twist rate sounds really slow. Do the normal bullets for that caliber have short bearing surfaces?

My .458WM has a 1:22 twist and I see that most .45 cal BPCR use a 1:20 or 1:18 twist barrels.

What makes that caliber different?

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance! grin

Ed
I'm not Kurt, but I'll chime in here. That 1-26 twist is probably too fast for these rifles to shoot really well.

Clyde Williamson in his book "The Winchester Lever Legacy" lists the twist in his 50-110 TD as being 1-54. Those rifles were originally intended to be an express rifle, and shot a short, light bullet. Williamson listed the date of manufacture of his rifle as 1890.

My 50-90 Sharps has a 1-26 twist and won't shoot a bullet lighter than 650 grains. My Sharps weighs 13 pounds, and the recoil is pretty stiff. I don't think you will like the recoil out of the Winchester lever gun if you wind up having to shoot 650 grain bullets to make it shoot--and that is assuming you can get a bullet that heavy with a nose short enough to cycle through the action.

I think as configured, this new Winchester is simply a wall hanger and conversation piece rather than a serious hunting tool.
hanks guys
There is a Win 1885 on gunbroker. Was thinking about it, but if I am going to only be able to shoot the 650 grain size bullets I think I will pass.
My shiloh 45-70 and C sharps 38-55 will hve to do me.
The ROT I gave you is from a special addition a friend has.
He has two special additions for sale one in the .45-90 chamber and one in the .50-90, both have the same serial number and I checked the rot because I thought about buying both rifles and that rifle has the 1/26 rot.
My .50/2.5 Shiloh has a 1/22 rot and sharpsguy is right that rifle will do best with a bullet in the 650 grain weight range and if that rifle is what your referring to is a Special addition it will be a light weight rifle with a lot of push for a recoil.

Here is one for sale. Read his description of the one he is selling. http://www.gunsamerica.com/936193375/Winchester+1885+High+Wall+50-90+Limited+Series+BPCR.htm
Sharpsguy, Please tell us more about bullets for maximum overall cartridge length to cycle through the actions on High Walls. Not much has been said about this subject.
Originally Posted by 303mike
Sharpsguy, Please tell us more about bullets for maximum overall cartridge length to cycle through the actions on High Walls. Not much has been said about this subject.

Not Sharpsguy but I am going to guess he was thinking about the 1886 Winchester
No [bleep]. The Model 1885 high wall is a single shot.

Paul
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul

I am pretty sure everyone knows that. Just responding to the smart ass post
Originally Posted by pacecars
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul

I am pretty sure everyone knows that. Just responding to the smart ass post

Well, I asked that question with a friendly grin. It looks like I'm not with the "in crowd." Happy New Year anyway.
And my comment was also meant with a grin. grin

Happy New Year to all.

Paul
Sorry! Had to come in to work at 3am and the drunks are pissing me off. My apologies.
Hey, drunks can do that. And thanks for your words. I'll have to learn how to print that "grin." May we all start the New Year with a sense of humor as unlimited as the overall cartridge length for an open-ended single shot.
I would think that with the 1-26 twist you coud go lighter than a 600 gr bullet.
But if that rifle is one of those with the crescent butt, it may be not a particularly user friendly rifle..
Ranch, So far I'm having pretty fair luck shooting a bullet less than 500 grains in the 1 in 26" twist but you know I'm shooting for fun right now and not going for long range. Maybe later...
303 keep the pressure on that rifle you'll get it chugging along just fine. Last of the targets you sent certainly look like it's coming together.
I'm new to this site but know a little about the rifles since I've bought and sold several and have published a book on the Browning and Win. BPCRs. Feedback indicates the heavy barrel Win. Limited Series .50-90 Sharps caliber rifle with the 1:26 twist can handle bullets up to 700 grains with excellent accuracy. Here's one comment.

Wayne
============================

Wayne,

I shoot 700 grain x 1.40" x 0.513" cast bullets out of a Very Big 50 with a 1:26" twist ratio. These bullets are stable until they can go no further, and finally hit the ground. I've shot 22' and 36" pitches, and prefer the 1:26 ratio by far. With it, I can shoot long enough, and a heavy enough bullets near and far with consistency, and without knocking the bee-jeebers out of me. Well, sort of.
Welcome, Wayne.

Guys, Wayne's the real deal when it comes to Miroku built Browning/Winchester BPCRs.

He wrote the book on them, literally.

Paul
Welcome, Wayne! Glad to have another expert here.

I'm here to learn. grin

Ed
Thanks guys,

I have a good background on the Browning and Winchester heavy Badger barrel BPCRs, but I'm no expert on shooting them. Although I participate in local BPCR silhouette competition, and once in a while get out to the local range with my Browning's, I'm still on a steep learning curve. I'll check in on this site once in a while to see what's going on.

Some of you BPCR shooters and reloaders may be interested in the articles I've posted on my site. See the URL (address) below. Although the article info is "flavored" by my interest in the Browning and Winchester BPCRs, much of the information can apply to other brand of BPCRs.

By the way, I assume most of you know that, through a licensing agreement with the Herstal Group/Olin Corp., since 2006 Winchester Repeating Arms has been a part of Browning, and Miroku, the Japanese company that made the Browning 1885 High Wall & BPCRs, made the 1885 Low Wall and High Wall Limited Series rifles for Winchester. With minor cosmetic differences, the receivers are identical.

Wishing everyone a great 2013.
Wayne
I meant to comment further on the Winchester Limited Series 1885 .50-90 Sharps. As someone mentioned, there are two models and Win. has no plans to have Miroku mfg. more.

One is a 8.25 lb. rifle. It has a straight octagon barrel (made by Miroku). This rifle has a cresent buttplate and a straight grip stock. It's a copy of the Browning Traditional Hunter and is clearly made for hunting. I can't even imagine shooting this one prone with full loads and would gladly give out "YOU DA MAN" patches to anyone doing it during a silhouette match. I believe the twist rate on this model is also 1:26, but don't know for sure.

Using "poetic license", Win. marketing guys referred to the other model as the Creedmoor version. It has a half octagon half round heavy 30" Badger barrel and is the one currently listed on GunBroker and referred to earlier in this thread. The rifle weighs in at around 11.2 lbs without sights and is a copy of the Browning BPCRs without sights. The stock has a shotgun style buttplate and a pistol grip. This one may be more forgiving in prone position but Miroku/Win. should have made it with a true 34" Creedmoor barrel to tame the recoil a little more. Personally I would not recommend it for silhouette, but it may be fine for Creedmoor competition out to 1000 yds. I've sold a couple to guys in Canada that had plans to take them elk hunting.

Wayne
Wayne,

Regarding the Win. .45-70 1885 High Wall Traditional Sporter 45 that is on Gunbroker, is it already drilled and tapped for a tang sight?

Ed
Hi Ed,

Yes, the tang is drilled and tapped for 10-32 screws to mount a tang sight. The hole spacing is 2.185", which is standard for the Browning/Winchester BPCRs.

Wayne
© 24hourcampfire