Home
Building a 45-70 on a smokeless powder receiver. What adjustable iron sights do you recommend?
Baldwin, Hoke, MVA, Distant Thunder,, take you pick.
Might also depend on ones applications. Typical hunting ranges or long range target?
Agree with what 1minute posted. Also:

--Do you desire an adjustable rear barrel sight or a tang sight?

--Then there are wind adjustable aperture front sights, as well as aperture front sights with an internal or external spirit level
Should have helped a little. It will be for under 100yds hunting. I do know Steve Baldwin. Maybe he has a good idea. When I shoot competition I use a 45X scope off the bench. I'm blind. Not being an iron sight guy, I wondered if a Redfield adjustable sight would be OK? I have a Remington adjustable sight that was made for the Mod 37 rimfire. This is all new to me.
Cannot help you with a hunting sight. My BPCRs have either a 'scope or tang sights.
Butch,

You could try a copper penny front and a replica of the old Remington sight (peep) that sat just in front of the action. I believe MVA makes one. Open the peep up to 0.110-0.125"; that will give you adequate precision and be usable in relatively low light.

For loads near or just above bp velocities, you can expect a sight change of ~3 MOA/25 yds. So if you sight dead on at 100, 3-4 in low at 125 and 2-3 in high at 75. That's worked well for me.

Clarence
That would be my recommendation also if you're looking to replicate the original Remington RB sighting system.

MVA Rough & Ready sight
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the help. I will get serious after I cut the octagon.
© 24hourcampfire