Home
I've never had much interest re black powder firearms until I saw an Uberti revolver at the range last week. I think it was a .36 cal. 1861 Navy model. IMO it looked good and seemed about as accurate at 25 yards as any other handguns there that day.

Are Uberti's considered good quality? The one I saw looked pretty decent. Any other brands to consider? Best places to get one? Is cleaning that big a hassle? Best components to shoot? Any FFL procedures required?

Any info appreciated.

Uberti's are OK.

Shouldn't be any FFL required, depending on your state and/or local restrictions.

Cleaning is much easier with the stainless models, don't know if Uberti makes one.

Thanks
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Thanks

What's your real reason for putting up this post,...given that one can simply go to

link: http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp

and get the FFL questions / chit handled / answered, up front ?

Given that nobody KNOWS where you live,....how in hell is anybody supposed to answer your inquiry.

" depending on where you live " ?

jeez, that just DEFINES a precise answer, doesn't it ?

I thought the real reason for my post was plain enough. I don't know anything about reproduction black powder pistols or much about using black powder firearms. I've never owned one. I figured a black powder forum was a logical place to find out more about them.

Took your advice and got the delivery/shipping info from Cabelas. Thanks.
You might want to get a copy of the "Black Powder Handbook" by Sam Fadala. Has a lot of basic info about BP revolvers etc.

Uberti makes pretty fair revolvers. I had the very same one you're looking at, and it was nice. Cimarron has the reputation of being the importer with the highest standard of QC. I have one of the Cimarron/Uberti clones of the Colt SAA and it shoots right to point of aim, which is pretty cool in a 3.5" barrel with fixed sights.

Ruger doesn't make BP revolvers any more, but they're out there. You can probably get a nice blued Old Army for $400, which is a lot for a used BP gun but very little or no more than you'll pay for a new import, and you won't live to wear it out if you keep it clean.

Welcome to the dark side!
Oh, cleaning. No harder than a smokeless gun, mostly just soap and hot water. But, you have to actually do it every time you shoot. That smokeless routine of shoot all month and clean on a rainy day will rust a BP gun pretty rapidly.
© 24hourcampfire