Home

Haven't tried black powder yet, but it seems to shoot alright with smokeless

40grs Varget, 400 gr Lee cast soft lead , 100 yds , old eyes, need a tang sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a FINE rifle you have there, my friend. Not without it's little secrets, mind ya.
Several of us here on this board have messed with / owned em' and will I'm sure join me in stating that we'll help you get it running on REAL powder.

Question, does that particular frame have an integral upper tang (later models) or does the tang have a "lollipop" front end dropping into a respectively sized socket in the frame, and secured there with a screw ?

GTC
I will have to check on that .....

I first toured C Sharps Arms in 1990 with my new bride.

Our dollar was at about .83 just did not have the cash to spend.

Others have surfaced but this one came available last fall at a decent price.

Need a different rear sight as I could barely hold on the paper let alone the black square.

Real powder is an issue here north of the 48th, hell any powder is an issue.

Flyer
Just checked it has an integral upper tang.

Flyer
Nice rifle! I had one in .22 Hornet with a beautifully figured pistol grip stock. Why I let it go is beyond me today. Enjoy!
Sexy!!!

Good catch!!!! Congrats!
Originally Posted by Flyer01
Just checked it has an integral upper tang.

Flyer

I'm really glad to hear that, we wound up welding more than a few into a solid configuration, they WERE prone to loosening up. IIRC, it was an "invisible repair",...didn't screw up the color case (C,Sharps uses Cyanide CC),....once welded, the screw was dropped in on Loctite Red and peened from the bottom, or welded,.....been a while, but I think that was the drill.

Tech tip,....stock a spare firing pin.

Our very own Ranch 13 can give you more '75 owner operator savvy. I just about had him convinced to sell me his,...but he WISELY hung onto it.

GTC
Thanks for the advise.

I'll call C Sharps Tuesday regarding a spare firing pin.

Getting it shipped north of the 48th could be a hassle.

Flyer
I just about had him convinced to sell me his,...but he WISELY hung onto it

Yes, and after I had the Oregon Barrel Co. barrel in 44 cal built installed and chambered for 44-90 st, and the single set trigger put on, that rifle will likely never leave here, so long as it keeps shooting the way it did at the Utah state match this past weekend. laugh

Spare parts , keep a firing pin and transfer bar close at hand, those are the weak links in the rifle. Watch your lever spring tension, it can make a difference in accuracy.
Don, I'd get really serious about lightening up the mainspring in "old Ugly" and seeing if you can get a little better reliability out of those two troublesome components.

GTC
When I picked ol Ugly up after they installed the single set, they sold me a transfer bar that is said won't break..
We'll see, I had to replace the firing pin when I got home as it somehow got broke between Big Timber and the house...
So when I replaced that firing pin I put the superduty transfer bar in.
Time will tell the tale now.
Good to know, I'm sure I'll have other questions once I shoot it some more.
Originally Posted by Flyer01

[Linked Image]

Clean looking rifle. How much does it weigh?
Probably a smidge over 9 lbs.
8 lbs 13 oz
© 24hourcampfire