Home
Posted By: tmitch Dead here, lets liven it up - 01/16/16
I'm getting 'livened up' here on the bench, been filing the front sight in on my 50-90 Sharps, those 680 gr grease groove bullets over 105 gr 3F at 1340 fps buck a bit too. grin
Posted By: tmitch Re: Dead here, lets liven it up - 01/17/16
The prettiest (ugliest?) purple shoulder I ever had came from firing 3 rounds from my .50-90 CSA Hunters Carbine in shirtsleeves. That carbine butt leaves a mark! It got a lace on pad soon after and I use my PAST shield also for any bench sessions.
LOL, agreed, my 50-90 is a shotgun butt and it's bad enough as is, have an '86 in 50-110 WCF with the crescent butt, that sombitch plain hurts.

I believe the 130 lb rawbone cowhands of the 1800's were built a bit different than the 250 lb bacon cornbread rednecks of today, those damn skinny butts don't fit. grin
Posted By: tmitch Re: Dead here, lets liven it up - 01/17/16
I keep reading were a crescent butt is supposed to go outboard of the shoulder joint, but damn, it hurts there too! I had a .405 with one, it wasn't pleasant.
Yes, have tried that too, and yes, it don't fit either, those old rawbones were tougher than us, they had to be. grin
0 viewing cry, while I've been getting the tar kicked outta me benching that 50-90, c'mon holy black users, youinz aint stoved up and iced in are ya? grin
Hopefully here in about two weeks you're gonna find out that the 50-90 ain't what it's cracked up to be. Be sure you bring your 45-70 and your Hawken.
Iz be ready Boss. grin
Posted By: tmitch Re: Dead here, lets liven it up - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
0 viewing cry, while I've been getting the tar kicked outta me benching that 50-90, c'mon holy black users, youinz aint stoved up and iced in are ya? grin

They're all out ridin' their buffalo. laugh
BWAAHAHAHAHAHA laugh
Originally Posted by gunner500

Never really understood more black powder. The 50-70 will completely penetrate a full grown buffalo, all a 50-90 will do is hit the ground harder on the other side...
My 50 is a rebored 45-120 that had a rung chamber, never gave any though to the 50-70 when I was looking for ways to salvage the rifle, may send it off to Sharps to have a nice 30" barrel in 40-65 installed when I get through playing with the 50.

680 gr grease groove bullets at 1340 do pretty well in the wind out to 200 yards so far and smack the holy hell out of the gong.
Further, I was under the impression the 50 needed weight and speed to make them penetrate.
Raton, 2002

Shot that beat up old Roller in .50-90 that Gullo's killed chit all over the planet with,.....he spotted for me. Shaver was spotting, too.

PRONE offa' sticks,....with it's original barrel sights,..

Never saw 300 M. pigs go down so violently.

Don't remember the recoil being all that feisty, with no more than a common Past shoulder pad.

GTC
That's good to hear Cross. smile
There's a LOT less of me for those bigger guns to kick around,...
I've spotted for some stout fella, and feel that they probably get kicked harder than smaller framed, lighter guys.
1340 with that weight is pretty warm.
Have you tried that big bullet with a coupla' hundred FPS knocked off the top ?

GTC

A 50/90 ten shot group from 1000 yards shooting 710 gr. bullets:

[Linked Image]72"x72" w/44" black & 20" Ten ring. by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

It's a 98 out of 100. Would have been 100 if I had made a wind correction but I was just checking for vertical spread! I've never thought the recoil was bad!
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
There's a LOT less of me for those bigger guns to kick around,...
I've spotted for some stout fella, and feel that they probably get kicked harder than smaller framed, lighter guys.
1340 with that weight is pretty warm.
Have you tried that big bullet with a coupla' hundred FPS knocked off the top ?

GTC

Agreed on the 'mass soak' Cross, no Sir, I haven't ran my 50 at lower speeds, been using 3F for a cleaner burn, shoots very well, have a couple bullets strikes 2"s apart on my 200 yard gong, still slowly filing the front blade to get the right bullet strike height, I like the bullet to land 5/6 inches high on top of the front sight at all ranges, lets me hold on brisket as not to cover the animal with my sight.
Damn good shooting there Rick!
I shot Ed tomanyletters 45-70 Sharps yesterday, and I could learn to like that. miles
Watchit! Miles, you'll get bit! shocked grin
That is what I am afraid of. miles
Miles, you can order one like this:

[Linked Image]

grin
I'm foaming at the mouth like someone hit me in the face with a bucket of cool whip. cry

Beautiful Rifle Tex. wink
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Miles, you can order one like this:

[Linked Image]

grin

WOW!

DF
Posted By: 4ager Re: Dead here, lets liven it up - 01/27/16
Originally Posted by milespatton
That is what I am afraid of. miles

Might as well have taken a shot of heroin. Just go ahead and start figuring out which one to order now, because it's going to happen.
My other .45-90 is very different. An original High Wall, that someone rebarreled with a 22" carbine barrel. It weighs about 7½ lbs

[Linked Image]

Patrick, ordering one is not the problem, paying for it is. cry miles
There is that, but hey, a tip for all you gun guys, a bud of mine leaves his house with targets, stapler, head phones and an empty gun case, he returns home with his new gun purchase, uncases it and puts it in his safe right in front of his unknowing Wife, he says it's worked without fail for over 30 years. grin
© 24hourcampfire