Home
Posted By: DigitalDan How'm I doin'? - 10/26/16
100 yards, offhand, Cody Ballard Highwall schuetzen in .38-55. 350 grain Mos bullet of 30:1 and 45 gr of Swiss 1.5. String measure is 20-1/8" for 10 shots.

[Linked Image]

Am I ready to face a prairie dog charge???
Posted By: gunner500 Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/26/16
Damn fine shooting Dan.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/26/16
Who is Hilliard?

Is that a 200 yds target? Looks like 3/4" rings.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/26/16
He is the butthead that scored my target. Rounded off to the next highest 1/8" and cost me the gold medal. I think he is the Black Overlord of the 5th Realm of Darkness.

It was a 100 yard target today.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Who is Hilliard?

Is that a 200 yds target? Looks like 3/4" rings.

HMmmmm,...we could be a while, figuring THAT out. whistle

I'd toss out that he's one of the nicer dangerous men I've known, and a true American.

GTC
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/26/16
very fine shooting, for offhand. Eventually I need to see what my .38-55 will do.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/26/16
Fine shootin' Dan! What sights are on your .38-55?

Ed
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/27/16
There's a Lyman Junior Targetspot on top. It claims to have 8X but I'm skeptical that it has that much muscle.
Posted By: stantdm Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/29/16
Having spent my day shooting a modern iron sighted rifle offhand I would say you are a damn good shot.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/29/16
Modern, and higher powered scopes just make the humbling and ego destroying experience of shooting offhand that much more of a wake up call.

I like hanging with the old 4X and 6x scopes, and actually get better scores with em'.

CALLING YOUR SHOTS, to a GOOD spotter, prior to getting on your spotting scope and seeking verification of where you THOUGHT your shot went is a good play.

There's a lot to be said for working alone, and shooting 2-3 times daily,....

Offhand ain't for puzzies,...it's the REAL deal.

GTC
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: How'm I doin'? - 10/30/16
Originally Posted by stantdm
Having spent my day shooting a modern iron sighted rifle offhand I would say you are a damn good shot.

Some days it's better to be lucky than good. As this unfolded the soft 6 o'clock breezed turned to puffy 1/4 value winds switching from left to right and back, maybe 10 mph with occasional gust of about 15 came thru. It was fairly predictable in the cycle so I just waited for the tailwind to return and didn't dawdle around with the shot.

That said, I have another group shot a few years back with a .45 flintlock that pleases me more. 50 yards, also offhand.

[Linked Image]

Just my opinion, but for me scopes complicate offhand work a bit and I much prefer an aperture for that endeavor. I've done it both ways with a variety of guns...prefer irons if that is possible.
© 24hourcampfire