Home
Posted By: ironbender Plug Or Patch? - 08/23/23
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Flashdog Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/23/23
You’re going to need duct tape for that.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/23/23
Originally Posted by Flashdog
That'll never hold air. You need to put a tube in it, too.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/23/23
Originally Posted by Flashdog
LOL. My neighbor said that exact thing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/23/23
In another thread, I had mentioned the jiffy jack for tandem axle trailers. This shows the value ( to me at least) of having one. Horses don’t need to be unloaded.

However, I really wish I had packed the Dewalt impact! 3/6 lug nuts required my wife to stand on the end of the speed wrench while I reefed up on the other end.

Fortunately the blowout was not on the traffic side of the trailer.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/23/23
If you have a tandem trailer the jiffy jack or trailer aid is a must.We had a blow out on our 35 goose neck with living quarters with 4 horses loaded and it was the best money I have ever spent. The dewalt rides when the trailer rides.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/23/23
Them jiffy jacks work good for tricycle front end tractors also.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/24/23
Bandag near you? grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Bandag near you? grin
Are they magicians?

Anyway, I have a brand new set of chinee ST tires on it.

Will report on durability.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/24/23
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Bandag near you? grin
Are they magicians?

Anyway, I have a brand new set of chinee ST tires on it.

Will report on durability.

I think they actually remove the entire tread and start over(I could be wrong). I am not even sure they are still in business .

They are still in business, from the video they have looks like yours are beyond repair by them.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/25/23
That blowout is dead, deader, deadest. The carcass is split!

We were just having a moment of jocularly.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/25/23
I had the same thing on my horse trailer a few weeks ago. However, it was much more expensive to fix. It's a beater of a trailer and needed new tires when I bought it 12 years ago. I got my hands on a set of 17" rims that fit it because my pickup has 17" wheels. That way when I put new tires on the pickup, the old ones go to the trailer. Well, the other 3 tires on the trailer were in good shape although getting kind of old. I needed just one 17" tire but used ones simply aren't available here. When someone buys new pickup tires, their old ones are worn beyond use. No shops have any. I could have bought 1 new tire for the trailer but then I'd still have the 3 old ones. It was one of those tough decisions. My pickup tires were only 2 years old and had maybe 15,000 on them. They were far too good for that old trailer but I had no real choice. I had to get new tires for the pickup and put those on the trailer, far better ones than it deserves.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/27/23
I hate trailer tires. I blew one the other week. Swapped it with my brand new spare and drove home. Looked at the trailer the other day in my pasture and another tire is flat. What is it with trailer tires and road hazards. These were all load E trailer tires too.

On my horse trailer, that my daughter frequently pulls, I put tire minders on them. It's better that she gets a warning of a tire problem and can try to fix/repair/pull-over on her terms. You don't want to take chances hauling horses.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I hate trailer tires. I blew one the other week. Swapped it with my brand new spare and drove home. Looked at the trailer the other day in my pasture and another tire is flat. What is it with trailer tires and road hazards. These were all load E trailer tires too.

On my horse trailer, that my daughter frequently pulls, I put tire minders on them. It's better that she gets a warning of a tire problem and can try to fix/repair/pull-over on her terms. You don't want to take chances hauling horses.
I have several trailers. If LT tires are available in the size I need, that's what I get. ST trailer tires are only good for about 5 years before they start getting weak while LT's will last 2 to 3 times that long.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/27/23

When I was pulling a trailer about 20K miles every season, I got so tired of losing tires I went all the way to "H" rated tires. Sold that business, but kept the trailer. Still using that trailer about every week on the farm, still the same tires after 10 years, zero flats. One has a slow leak, but it's the rim, not the tire. There's no savings in cheap trailer tires.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/28/23

Do ya by chance know what brand ya got. I have never heard of them, but anything to make my life better I will give it a shot. Thanks
Posted By: Farming Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/29/23
Pulled the tang from a file and used three plugs to successfully stop the leak. That there looks like a recap is in order!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Plug Or Patch? - 08/29/23
Originally Posted by leesway2

Do ya by chance know what brand ya got. I have never heard of them, but anything to make my life better I will give it a shot. Thanks

I believe this is the one I bought. I've had the same batteries in the sensors for a year, but probably need to change them soon. You can buy them for any number of tires you have. I placed the repeater antenna at my trailer battery box for the electric jack and put an on/off toggle for it.

Tire Minder

What's pretty cool on some of the newer trucks, is you can add additional TPMS sensors to the trucks system, so you can monitor the trailer tires that way.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Plug Or Patch? - 09/24/23
Ironbender, I'd say you got ALL THE GOODIE out of those tires !!!!
© 24hourcampfire