Home
Posted By: PatB New Tundra ?? - 07/18/07
Does anyone have a new Tundra?? If so what are your impressions of it ????
thanks,
PB
Posted By: stubblejumper Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/18/07
I have the 2007 tundra double cab limited with the 5.7 engine.The truck is huge with more room in the backseat than my friends 2007 sierra extended cab,and doors that open independently and in the right direction.The cargo box is also quite deep and the spring assisted tailgate is a nice touch.The power is simply amazing compared to the 2007 sierra 6.0 engine and the fuel mileage is better despite the slightly higher epa estimates for the GM.The six speed transmission is extremely smooth and the ride and handling are very good.So far,I am very pleased with the truck.
Posted By: dronofrio Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/18/07
I just bought a 2007 tundra double cab with the 4.7 engine. I have no problems getting the truck moving. I drove both the 5.7 and 4.7 and decided the 5.7 just had too much power for me. I am getting about 18mpg with a lot of free way driving. Like stubblejumper said the interior room is more than adequate. I too am very pleased with the truck. For what it is worth I traded in a chevy avalanche for it.
Posted By: stubblejumper Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/19/07
I am getting about 18mpg with a lot of free way driving.

My 5.7 is also averaging around 18 miles per US gallon on the highway driving 70mph to 75mph.
Posted By: Bend Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/19/07
FYI-

Tundra

Scroll down.

Posted By: stubblejumper Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/19/07
meanwhile the competition is burning down. grin

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/03/ford_tailpipe_fires.html

http://www.automotive.com/2006/49/gmc/sierra/recalls/40031.html

or suffering from a sudden loss of steering control.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/dodge/ram_2500/recalls/

The point being that six transmission failures out of the many thousands of Tundras sold may be an issue to some people,but the competition may have much more serious safety issues.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/19/07
HERE is serious safety issue. HERE is another serious safety issue. Toyota has their problem too, and they're just as serious as anyone else's.

Posted By: bigblock455 Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/19/07
you forgot about the 30,000 + tundra cam failures.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/recalls/

And as you can see on that link, dodge again takes on more front end problems. When will they get it right?
Posted By: stubblejumper Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/20/07

If you are referring to the camshafts in the 2007 tundra 5.7 engine,there have been about 20,repeat 20 reported cam failures due to an american supplier supplying faulty camshafts to Toyota,and there has been no recall to date.However 30,000 certainly sounds more dramatic,even if it isn't true.grin
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/20/07
toyota has estimated 30,000 texas built toyota tundras are out there with bad cams. They are tracking down the trucks. Should be pretty easy to find when u see them on the side of the road lol. I read that forum about the toyota trannys outing out, thats pretty weird that a few of those guys had them go out with only 500 miles. Ah well, thats what happens when you get greedy and your quality starts to suffer.
Posted By: tx270 Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/20/07
Originally Posted by bigblock455

And as you can see on that link, dodge again takes on more front end problems. When will they get it right?

Seems to me there was at least one recall for some model of ALMOST EVERY CAR MAKER on that site. So lets be sure and single out the one or two you just happen to not like Bigblock.

Bill
Except for buick,pontiac.

Heres some happy toyota owners! Didnt think i'd find any of those.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_tundra.html
http://www.automallusa.net/2006/buick/rendezvous/recalls.html

http://www.automallusa.net/2005/buick/century/recalls.html

http://www.automallusa.net/2005/buick/rendezvous/recalls.html

http://www.automallusa.net/2004/buick/century/recalls.html

http://www.automotive.com/2007/49/pontiac/grand-prix/recalls/18342.html

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/09-int/2005/pontiac/aztek/index.html
toyota has estimated 30,000 texas built toyota tundras are out there with bad cams.

As the owner of a 2007 Tundra,I asked my dealer to check into the so called cam problem.At the time there were over 30,000 5.7 liter engines built,however there have only been about 20 cam failures reported.These failures were the result of a small batch of bad cams from an american cam supplier.The serial numbers of trucks that may be at risk has been determined and the very small number of trucks have been located.There is no mass recall on the 5.7 engine and there certainly are not 30,000 engines with bad cams.If you were to run around calling out" the sky is falling",your information would be more credible. grin
buick century is, well was when they were made. the most reliable car you could buy. Camry was #2.

Air bag on the rendezvous? WOW! well, atleast the frontends arnt poppin off like the tundras.
2006 BUICK RENDEZVOUS Recall ID from NHTSA: 06V417000
Auto Recall Date: 20061031
Vehicle Component: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 794... SEVEN HUNDRED NINTY FOUR!...

That 05 century had a MASSIVE recall! Estimated Vehicles Affected: 742 HOOOWEEE! But again, atleast it isnt known for breakin cams or having the frontends fall off wink

Lets see, if we add up those cars that were affected by the recall on the 2 buicks we're lookin at 1,536 cars. Hmmm over 500,000 toyota trucks and suv's recalled with major problems VS 1536 for an airbag and a Possible fuel leak. You know how many of those century's i saw on the news that reported fires?? None. Keep your massive recalled toyotas!
oops my bad! So far the rendezvous recall was with AFTERMARKET seat covers.
AFTERMARKET LEATHER SEAT COVERS CAN CAUSE THE PASSENGER SENSING SYSTEM TO MALFUNCTION.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/28/07
Originally Posted by PatB
Does anyone have a new Tundra?? If so what are your impressions of it ????
thanks,
PB

Just bought one of these myself and goota tell you that it is one bad azz truck. The power in this truck is simply awesome. Got a bunch of accessories ordered for since theres not a lot available with the truck being so new but I am digging it! Heres a pic of mine pre accessories.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: badger Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/29/07
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
meanwhile the competition is burning down. grin

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/03/ford_tailpipe_fires.html

http://www.automotive.com/2006/49/gmc/sierra/recalls/40031.html

or suffering from a sudden loss of steering control.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/dodge/ram_2500/recalls/

The point being that six transmission failures out of the many thousands of Tundras sold may be an issue to some people,but the competition may have much more serious safety issues.

DUDE!!!!

The Dodge recall on the steering arm, if I read it correctly (& I believe I do), affects AFTERMARKET parts, i.e. Superlift........... This is Dodge's problem? confused
The second one involving Dodge concerns an incorrect emissions information sticker......... whistle

badger
Posted By: BMD Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/29/07
One of the guys signatures is correct real trucks dont have spark plugs.
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/31/07
spark plug trucks are good if you just want something that makes u feel manly, But the glow plug guys all know who the real men are wink
Posted By: stubblejumper Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/31/07
spark plug trucks are good if you just want something that makes u feel manly, But the glow plug guys all know who the real men are ;\)

And it takes a real man to walk 30 miles back to town when your diesel won't start at -35 because you could not plug it in because there is no electricity at the cabin you are staying in while ice fishing,or running your trapline. grin
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/31/07
stubblejumper

Leave him be, he's one of those Chevy guys that just cant stand it that Toyota built a 4WD truck that will out run every one of the gas powered 4WD Chevy's with or without a trailer! I love it!

Posted By: Gatehouse Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/31/07
Can you fit a regular (8 ft) camper on one? How woudl the power be for heavy hauling?
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: New Tundra ?? - 07/31/07
Dont know about the Payload seeing as it is only a half ton but I think mine is rated for like 2000 lbs in the bed so its not a 3/4 ton but it'll damn sure haul it if you can get it in there. This thing has crazy power, how many 4x4 trucks in stock configuration will go 0-60 in 6 seconds and generate over 400 lbs of torque... while averaging over 19mpg on the highway not many. I really cant understand anymore why a guy would buy one of the big 3 half tons with them being priced so closely and this thing having the Toyota rep for durability and dependability with a monster motor and a sweet drivetrain. After all, more of this truck is built in the good old USA by Americans than Fords, Dodges and Chevys all put together so they cant use that excuse anymore (except for the ignorant guys that dont no any better and still think the truck is being built in Japan)!
Posted By: hunter01 Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/02/07
I just bought a new 07 Tundra and love that truck. It has tons of power, is smooth and quiet with a carlike ride. Toyota put a lot of thought into this truck when building it. I just took it to West Virginia and back on a rafting trip with the girls, and got almost 21 (20.7) miles per gallon. That is better than I ever got on my 97 T100, or my 01 Tundra. They both had a lot less horse power and didn't weigh as much, but my new, heavier, 381 HP 07 Tundra is averaging around 17 mpg. I'm VERY happy with that considering the size of the engine and truck.
FYI, Consumer Report just tested the Tundra, Silverado, F-Series, and Dodge Ram in a head to head test. The Tundra won, followed by the Chevy, Ford and Dodge being last.
Consumer in my opinion (out of all the testers in different magazines, etc.) that one needs to listen to. They do a very good job of testing products. They don't receive any perks, and don't allow anyone to use their testing results in TV ads, etc. You'll see no advertisments of any kind in their magazine. They call it as they see it. They tell the good as well as the bad that they see in all the products they test. In 99% of the cases I consider them the Bible to which one should pay attention to.
Posted By: sledder Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/02/07
At a minimum all of the big three have 25% foreign made parts in their trucks and SUV's.

I have a 91 toyota xtra cab 3.0 liter V6. Toyota used that motor in hundreds of thousands of vehicles,until they went with a 3.4 liter. There was an estimated 250 faulty head gaskets in the 3.0,they recalled all of 3.0's and replaced the gasket free of charge.

Lets see,the 1988 to 1998 chevy-gmc independant front suspension used on blazers,trucks and suburbans was as [bleep] up as you can get. I had a 98 silerado that was plagued with front end problems. Three differant mechanics claimed GM knew full well the problem exsisted but did nothing,since front end repairs are pure profit for dealers.

Dodge is a real joke. I owned a 2001 3/4 ton cummins. Went through two trannies in under 100k,plus a rearend. Dealer smiled and said "I'm not seeing anything new here". Typical mopar experience. A friend of mine runs a car rental service at the airport. They rent just about anything short of muscle cars.They sell all their vehicles at 24,000 miles. All vehicles have a detailed listing of all services performed and parts replaced. Dodge pickups are like a mirror of the same [bleep] going wrong. Trannies,front ends and rear ends. GM pickups are front ends and trannies and starters. Ford is both trannies,front and rearends and major trouble with their diesels.

The local ford dealer is also a toyota dealer. I asked the mechanics which 1/2 ton trucks are more durable and what goes wrong. Hands down ford has all kinds of trouble with bearings and front ends.Not to mention trannies. The majority of toyotas few problems, tend to be electrical. The 04 tundras had a transmission linkage, that the dealer claims had a binding problem which was easily fixed under warranty. Before the trucks even left the lot.

I currently own an 07 tundra and have managed to put 18,000 miles on it already with no repairs. Thats 15,000 more trouble free miles,then any american vehicle I've owned. In fact the 04 yukon xl I owned managed to [bleep] out a tranny at 650 miles, all on the highway.
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/02/07
Buick needs to come out with a pickup. Put their stage 3 455 in there and whoop everyones butt with that high torque motor and the insides that belong in a rolls royce. Im looking forward to that day and i can see it coming. If lincoln can do it, so can another luxury auto maker. I cant even think of how nice they'd make that truck ride. Best car ive ever driven was a 1976 buick electra 225. That baby was felt like you were riding on air, it was such a smooth ride. Why dont they make cars like that anymore? Every new car, you have to feel every little crack in the road.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/02/07
Here is a perfect example in the difference between a company that cares about the quality of vehicle they make and one that just makes vehicles period. I have worked for Dodge/Chrysler, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, and Toyota all my experience is in Service. If you have a transmission or engine go out in any of the American makes and it is a warranty repair there is a chance that an engine or tranny is either in the parts depatments warehouse in stock or that they can have one ordered and received in a couple days to a week. Toyota on the other hand will not allow you to keep a motor or tranny in parts for a warranty repair and absolutely will not ship one just cuz you ordered it without some serious esplaining. They have certain parts flagged in the parts computer (expensive and major components) that require you to call and explain what failed , why, whos fault it is and they will want the one that failed back pronto to be investigated. That always showed me the pride in the product they made. We pumped millions a year out of the American dealerships service departments in warranty repairs, not so the case in Toyota and the reasons are obvious.Might be why they have the extra money for R&D and are succeeding so well while the others are struggling to stay in business.
Posted By: badger Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/02/07
Originally Posted by sledder
I have a 91 toyota xtra cab 3.0 liter V6. Toyota used that motor in hundreds of thousands of vehicles,until they went with a 3.4 liter. There was an estimated 250 faulty head gaskets in the 3.0,they recalled all of 3.0's and replaced the gasket free of charge.

250 you say.............

I guess they all failed in Atlanta then. A technician I worked with in the '90's worked for Atlanta Toyota during the 3.0l days and was proud of the fact that he could do head gaskets on 3 4-Runners in 2 days.
[Linked Image]
I'll +1 that one I have seen over 250 of them done myself that were faulty and thats in a small town of 75,000 people so I am gonna guess that theres several zeros missing in that figure.But on the flip side how many other car makers out there would do a $1300 engine repair under warranty on a vehicle with 100,000+ miles on it.And to go one step further they reimbursed everybody who had payed for a faulty headgasket to be replaced, now thats impressive!
I did have a little trouble getting the Honda in the bed of this thing without [bleep] up the front of the bed or the tailagte and this was my solution, I know its redneck but it works. Heres some pics of the old car ramps in the bed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMD Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/02/07
Strrrap it good or you could be minus some rear window glass.
Been there done that! Yeah I coss strap it no matter what truck I'm in, them sliders aint cheap!
Nope, Scare the chit out of you too!
Scares the chit out of my checkbook too! Was going down a really steep and muddy rutted up powerline trail in 4 Low one time and had one of the straps break on one side, BAM it busted through the rear window, and I could't stop so I just kept driving and it kept goin Bam Bam Bam, glass flying all over, it sucked when I got to the bottom of the hill!
been there done that too. Only the artic cat went throught the rear slider lol. Thats what happens when you dont ask for someones help and you pick the 4wheeler up and then push. Whoops.

On our f250, we have a tool box in the back and we just pick up the front of the 4wheeler, put the wheels on the top of the tool box and then strap everything down tight. leaves us with plenty of room and plus we still have out tool box with all our oils, tools and chains and such. Last year we were able to fit 3 deer in the back on the bed with the 4wheeler and all of our stuff. This truck only has the 6" bed i believe.
We were driving down the highway and this old fart decides he missed his exit and decides to stop while we are running 75 or 80 and my buddy was driving and at the last second he buried the brakes and when the glass shattered it was freakin amazing how loud it was, at first i thought we had crunched the old geezer in front of us. We just had a little more air flow the rest of the trip.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/02/07
AC
Sounds to me like a headache rack could come in handy on the Toyota.This one on my chev saved the window countless times. [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by badger

250 you say.............

I guess they all failed in Atlanta then. A technician I worked with in the '90's worked for Atlanta Toyota during the 3.0l days and was proud of the fact that he could do head gaskets on 3 4-Runners in 2 days.
[Linked Image]

Bullsh!t,the dealer I use has done recall work on over 10,000 head gaskets since 1997,when the recall was issued. He's had 5 trucks with the bad gaskets.

Your buddy must have been a piss poor mechanic if it took him that long to replace head gaskets.
Originally Posted by badger

250 you say.............

[Linked Image]

Bullsh!t,the dealer I use has done recall work on over 10,000 head gaskets since 1997,when the recall was issued. He's had 5 trucks with the bad gaskets.

Your buddy must have been a piss poor mechanic if it took him that long to replace head gaskets.

Yo!! Dude!!!!!!! You're the one that mentioned the 250 number, are you not? Care to explain that explanation?
As far as piss-poor mechanics are concerned, I'll take someone that does the job properly and methodically rather than a speed merchant with a 50% comeback rate. Seen many of those in the 30 years I've been in this business. Seen many bigmouths like you, too.............

I'll consider the source in the future & won't start a pissing match with you.......

badger
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I'll +1 that one I have seen over 250 of them done myself that were faulty and thats in a small town of 75,000 people so I am gonna guess that theres several zeros missing in that figure.But on the flip side how many other car makers out there would do a $1300 engine repair under warranty on a vehicle with 100,000+ miles on it.And to go one step further they reimbursed everybody who had payed for a faulty headgasket to be replaced, now thats impressive!

Agreed. Toyota does do the right thing. One of the reasons their customer loyalty is so high. I remember the first generation Camrys. They were such awful cars that Toyota had a list of updates that were performed under warranty (often with the initial break-in service) that would pay about 25 hours- if memory serves. All at no charge, of course to the customer, and often without their knowledge. The dealers would ask the customers to leave their cars for 3 days for the first service to allow them to perform "updates and enhancements", without going into detail. Updates included front suspension & steering parts replacements, motor mounts, some auto tranny upgrades and/or replacements etc.
Most other manufacturers would not go to those lengths, rather they would hold their breath & deny any problems existed.......

badger
2-3 days for a head gasket change over? Whats that guy chargin per hour?!
The recall notice claimed 350 faulty gaskets and it was unknown which motors had them. In a motor that was run from the late 1980's up until the tacoma was introduced with the 3.4 in 1995.

I took my truck in with 200,000 plus miles on it in 1997 and had the gaskets replaced. When I bought my 2007 tundra,from the same dealer. I jokingly gave him [bleep] abut the future faulty head gaskets in the tundra. The dealer then claimed that toyota sent out a dealer notice in 2005 stating that they had replaced nearly all of the 3.0 faulty gaskets and the final total was closer to 250 gaskets. So the fairy tale about replacing 250 of the proposed 350 faulty gaskets in one town is just pure bullsh!t.

Hell with 200k miles on a vehicle,it would be hard to tell wether you ever had a faulty gasket or not,considering the wear from a life time of use.Toyota still replaced it free of charge.

SHHHHHH. Its badgers lame [bleep]' story let him go with it. If he says it enough,he's sure it will become the truth.
Posted By: badger Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/03/07

For the illiterate & uninformed among us smile , that would be 6 head gaskets, 2 per vehicle, overhead cam engines.........
Didn't matter what he was charging per hour, Toyota (the manufacturer) pays the dealer a flat rate warranty time per vehicle.

As for the other numbnutz here, you sound like a know-it-all pimply faced kid with a fragile ego. Go play somewhere else before you put your foot in your mouth again.......
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/03/07
So you're saying he had 3 trucks in there for head gasket change. 2 days tops if you dont have to deal with any stubborn bolts. I was about to say, damn 2-3 days for a head gasket change is about 2 days too long. Ive parted cars in shorter time periods.
Posted By: Teal Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/03/07
I did complete motor swap on Tercel in 2 days. That included pulling the head on the bad motor, then engine only to discover I had to pull trans too.

By 2 days - you mean 1 mechanic so 16 hours correct? Ain't arguing - simply asking.
Toyota's are fairly easy to work on in my experience - that is to say 1 motor swap, 2 starters, a rear end (chunk swap) and rear axle wheel seals. They build them fairly straight forward.

Posted By: badger Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/03/07
Originally Posted by teal
I did complete motor swap on Tercel in 2 days. That included pulling the head on the bad motor, then engine only to discover I had to pull trans too.

By 2 days - you mean 1 mechanic so 16 hours correct? Ain't arguing - simply asking.

Yup,

6 heads to R&R in 16 hours. Not as easy as it sounds on a 3.0l OHC engine.........

badger
I guess I could see that. I am now more used to thinking in terms of big CAT head gasket issues. Thats a 2 day job but usually involves cutting the block (prob #4) and such.

Nice things about Toy - is they really only come apart one way and go back together one way and once you figure that out - life is gravy.
Posted By: badger Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/04/07
I guess Toyota only built a few V6's in the five year period covered by the recall for only 250 to be affected........

http://www.brian894x4.com/V6headgasketdoc3.html

Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/08/07
I don't doubt the durability and longevity of Toyota products. WE have a '01 Tundra with 170K on it and it drives like new. I also have a '01 Z-71 with 150K and has never been in the shop. My new '07 Z-71 is the best driving truck I've ever been in (haven't been in the new tundra) I've averagee 17.4 miles per gallon on the first 4500 miles. 20 on the hwy is no problem @70mph. Guess I'm lucky.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/08/07
Anyone know if Toyota plans to make a 3/4 ton version of the Tundra in the near future?
Posted By: badger Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/08/07
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Anyone know if Toyota plans to make a 3/4 ton version of the Tundra in the near future?

If they built one with a Hino or Isuzu diesel they would kick some domestic truck azz...........
Posted By: PPosey Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/09/07
I think they already have one in Australia,,,, at least a diesel half ton,,,,,,, which it would come over here.........
Posted By: clark98ut Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/10/07
They've actually got a diesel in their Tacoma equivalent in Australia, not sure about their Tundra equivalent.

Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: New Tundra ?? - 08/10/07
Originally Posted by clark98ut
They've actually got a diesel in their Tacoma equivalent in Australia, not sure about their Tundra equivalent.

Yes they do. I saw them running all over Gladstone and Rockhampton a couple of weeks ago.

Expat
© 24hourcampfire