Home
OK, I know this subject has been through the ringer time and time again. I am a died in the wool GMC/Chevy fan, I currently own a newer Chevy 1/2 ton model and is satisfactory when it comes to a hunting vehicle, it however is under powered when it comes to hauling a trailer up mountain grades.
Therefore, I am in the market for a replacement and am looking at either a GM or Dodge 3/4 ton diesel for hauling a toy hauler up the mountain, approximately 10K lbs. loaded.
Originally Posted by tacgnut
what's the best?

am looking at either a Govt Motors or Dodge

Sorry, with those limitations I'm afraid I can't help you. grin
Ford Chassis, Dodge 5.9 with an Allison Tranny or built billet tranny

Nothing like a diesel for pulling. I think right now, Gm has the best diesel truck. Just go on the internet and watch the head to head test. Of course me having a 2006 2500 HD with the Duramax might sway my opinion. frown I think all three Dodge, Ford and Chevy make a pretty good truck. Kind of like guns, we have a choice and some people prefer certain makes and models. One thing to keep in mind is the newer diesel trucks (Chevy and Ford, not sure about Dodge) have the DEF on them. Also I think they might have the particle filters. To clean the particle filter the trucks have to go into a regeneration mode and I am sure that burns more fuel on the long run. Unless you are set on a new diesel truck you might want to find you a good used pre particle filter and pre DEF diesel truck. If you can live with the new emission stuff on the new ones then have at it. I must say those new trucks are nice, but have a heck of a price tag with them.

Good luck with your decision.

grin
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
what's the best?

What he said +1

grin
The Cummins and Duramax are both good motors, both are good trucks.

The Cummins has a little more low end pump off the line when pulling a load, regardless of what paper stats say, I've driven both. Obviously, the in line 6 cyl. Cummins will have fewer parts and less things to break. But the Duramax is a good motor.

If you prefer the stouter front axle, then Dodge is the way to go, Chevy has the independent front suspension thingy. If you don't plan on any rough use off road its a moot point.

If you like a nice cushy ride, then the Chevy is the way to go.

Either would propably serve you well, drive both and see which suits you the best.

Bill
Flip a coin between the GM and dodge diesels, they're both good trucks. I'm not a GM fan but I have to admit that the duramax/allison combo is pretty good in it's current form. Dodge also makes a good truck, the cummins is unrivaled and the transmission they put in the current truck is as good as the allison.

Growing up and into my twenties I was a Ford fan. I'd never owned anything other than a Ford product until I was 30 years old other than a worn out mazda that my folks gave me when I was 15 years old. That being said, Ford has never made a diesel pickup that I would own. The jury's still out on the new 6.7L engines, maybe they'll change my opinion when they get some miles on them. Even the 7.3L engine that all the Ford fans crow about wasn't really that good of an engine, it just didn't blow up at regular intervals like the 6.0 they replaced it with. Maybe Ford finally got it right with their new engine, but I wouldn't want to be the beta tester. Their track record isn't good with diesel pickups.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
what's the best?

What he said +1

grin

The problem with that is it's a complete crap shoot to get a good 6.0 Ford, less of a crap shoot to get a good 6.4 but still taking a chance. New 6.7 is supposed to be a hell of a motor but LOTS of $$$$$

All three of their strengths and weaknesses, no matter what you choose look at upgrading or adding to the stock fuel filtration to protect those common rails and spendy injectors.

The comment about off the line is very true, not matter what chart you look at. My folks have a '01 7.3, looking at the numbers on paper you wouldn't think it's a dog compared to the new output but in the real world it's not that far behind.
If you are a Chevy fan, you won't be happy with the RAM. The new Chevy is a beast. Go to the Chevy website and watch the HD to HD videos. The Chevy leaves the others far behind. Truthfully, you will be happy with any of them, so go with your stated favorite brand.
I would save my money on a new truck. Look into long tube headers, dry filter intake and a custom tune for your truck. Add air bags to the back and you should be set. That is maybe 4k and will really wake up your truck. If that's not enough consider a slightly steeper gear. Having a half ton I would guess you have the 5.3l and they like to rev when towing.

If you are set on a new truck and don't toe that often I would consider an 06 or later ford v10. They tow great and I prefer the ford suspension and interior to the others. The maintenance is much much less than a diesel. I have a 7.3 and it is a good engine but oil changes are almost a hundred bucks and I do then myself. Anything else gets real expensive fast.
Trying to pull a 10,000 lb trailer on a regular basis with a 1/2 ton truck is an accident waiting to happen, I don't care how many air bags, tunes, headers, or intakes you put on it.

I pull quite a bit, 10,000 lbs is a decent load for a 3/4 ton pickup much less a 1/2 ton.

Bill
+1 on that. 10,000# is too much for a 1500. You are looking in the right direction.
Find a 2007 LBZ with low miles and enjoy!
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
the cummins is unrivaled and the transmission they put in the current truck is as good as the allison.

Then why are the numbers so much lower than that of Ford and Chevy? I'm thinking the motor is detuned to save the tranny.

Even the 7.3L engine that all the Ford fans crow about wasn't really that good of an engine, it just didn't blow up at regular intervals like the 6.0 they replaced it with.

That's funny right there.
10,000-lbs is to much weight for even a FORD! Yeah, they advertise 10,000 pulling ability with a 1/2 ton but read the fine print people. Gears so low you would travel at 55mph down hill on the interstate!

The fact is the 3/4-tons are peak out at 10,000 especially going up hills etc. You need 4.10 gears for sure. I have a Ford 1-ton and pulling it up hill with 10,000 lbs is not picnic with even a V-10 gas rig. A diesel no problem!

I still like the Cummins 5.9 engine the best of the bunch! Great fuel mileage and pulls very strong. My buddies 1-ton Dodge was pulling a trailer and backhoe the other day and said it didn't seem like anything was behind him until the big hills came into play. He has 4.10's and a 5.9, pulling almost 16,000 lbs.
Slip Skinker, the Ford 7.3 was a brute and yes noisy but it would pull a friggin bridge into the water. They leaked some but got good fuel mileage. I hope FORD gets things right with this new diesel, hell I might buy one in a year or three. However, that will be a 450 or even 550 and not a 1-ton. I want to cover all the bases.
Originally Posted by micky
I have a 7.3 and it is a good engine but oil changes are almost a hundred bucks and I do then myself.

My 7.3 oil changes cost:
15 qts Rotella T x $3/qt = $45
Baldwin B7039 = $14.49
$59.49 + tax = $64.40 total
Hey, I like all the noise!! grin
the cummins is unrivaled and the transmission they put in the current truck is as good as the allison.

Then why are the numbers so much lower than that of Ford and Chevy? I'm thinking the motor is detuned to save the tranny.

2012 has the 6.7l Cummins at 800lb/ft of torque and over 22 000lb towing capacity. Not sure if its a marketing deal, or they've beefed up the tranny for '12. Aftermarket parts have long been available to beef up the Dodge trannys, in fact the 48RE is now the transmission of choice for the diesel drag guys, even behind the Duramaxes. My tranny was beefed up with Suncoast components at 65k miles and it has lived with 502RWHP and 1060 lb/ft of torque for 142k without any issues. Truck now has 217k on it.
Right and I suspect they beefed it up...I mean why not this year if it's the same tranny. Just a guess though.

I have 3:55 's in my 98 dodge and I pull a 20 ft gooseenck over Colorado Mtn passes. 3-4 mules all hunting gear, food, hay,grain, tackI have never wanted for more power. Going up the east side of Vail pass,I usually hit the top in 4th gear. Going down the west side of Loveland or Vail passes without a compression brake is a hell of a lot more exciting.
The 4:10's are just going to eat up more fuel when the 3:55 will do the job.
I also pull a 22ft flat bed goosenck tri axle I put 5-6 T of hay on it and the trailer weighs about 3000.Still no problmem.I don't go down the road at 75 mph, but anybody who does pulling 15K is out of thier minds as is one who wants to pull 10K with a 1/2 T truck
That's interesting to know Saddlesore. I've got an 06 Dodge with the Cummins and the six speed stick. I carry a camper that probably weighs 4400 lbs. loaded, and it still easily drags a 2000 Jeep Wrangler on a tow bar.
Been thinking rather seriously about getting an 18 ft. flatbed trailer rated for 7900 lbs. and putting a Dodge Power Wagon on it. I've wondering how well my '06 would do with both it and the camper. Guess I don't have to worry. E
OK, I know this subject has been through the ringer time and time again. I am a died in the wool GMC/Chevy fan

Stick with the GM/Chevy...Allison/Duramax, you'll be a happy camper.
the 2011 1/2 Dodge do have the 800 ft. lbs.

they are supposed to have a heavier built tourque converter to handle the extra power
Thanks for the replies. My current trailer is a Starcraft hi-bred that weighs in at 3700 lbs. dry, my half ton chevy does ok when its flat towing. Otherwise the transmission and engine heat up rather quickly. Chevy literature says this my particular truck is rated at 7000 lbs +, which is laughable.
We plan on upgrading trailers once the new truck is acquired, thats where the 10,000 lbs come in, which is more than the new trailer with toys will actually weigh, I just want to make a confident decision when the time comes.
Two dirt contractors I know personally both have diesel trucks and they both said they would NEVER have 4.10 gears in a pickup truck again. They said they are slower, eat up more fuel like saddlesore stated earlier. They both run with 3.73 gears in the rearend.
Slip Sinker.............WHAT DID YOU SAY? MY ENGINE IS RUNNING NOW>>>>>>>>CAN"T HEAR YOU....Yep I need hearing help a bunch you betcha.
Originally Posted by Tonk
Two dirt contractors I know personally both have diesel trucks and they both said they would NEVER have 4.10 gears in a pickup truck again. They said they are slower, eat up more fuel like saddlesore stated earlier. They both run with 3.73 gears in the rearend.

It depends entirely on what size tires you intend to run. Taller tires require numerically higher ring and pinions. Figure out what RPM you intend to run at and buy/change accordingly.
I am running .285's on my 1-ton Ford but stock tires were .265
I am not sure what the dirt contractors are running on their rigs.

I once had a Chevy pulling truck that ran 38's on it at the state fairs 15 years ago, BF-Goodrich tires that were around 15 inches wide.
I disagree. That is true with most gas engine because they seldom have much low end torgue, but not with diesels.
I, too, know a dirt contractor who pulls a 16,000 lb. rig with his stock Dodge with 3.73's. E
I'll have to disagree to a point E. I agree with you, going up 1" or 2" won't make much difference, but if someone goes higher than that it can affect low end power.

Of course most of the guys who are running huge tires aren't pulling anything anyway and need a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck like they need a hole in their head.

Bill
Yes, I agree. Almost everybody I know that goes to taller/wider tires and a lift kit seldom has any idea what that will do for them or what it will cost them in performance and reliability.
The only reason one should put on a lift kit is if they need higher angles of attack and depature, and, especially more breakover angle. Most off road vehciles can get by quite well as they come from the factory.
Bigger tires are only needed by those who need more flotation over soft sand. E
Eremicus, that friend of mine who is a dirt contractor is running .285 size tires on his 1-ton Dodge and he is pulling over 14,000 pounds and says the engine does NOT know it is behind the truck!
285 is only one size larger (about 1") than the stock Dodge tires (265), not even enough to notice.
I myself have always loved that Cummins Diesel but those Dodge trucks have other things about them that cause me to shake my head and walk away. Things like brakes, rear springs etc.
i'm trying to decide between the Chevy & dodge also. I'm leaning Dodge. I have 3 of the Cheys now and have had to replace 1 Alison tranny at 125k and rebuild 1 Duramax at 140k. Not helping me decide Chevy. 163bc
Originally Posted by 163bc
i'm trying to decide between the Chevy & dodge also. I'm leaning Dodge. I have 3 of the Cheys now and have had to replace 1 Alison tranny at 125k and rebuild 1 Duramax at 140k. Not helping me decide Chevy. 163bc

Out of all my aquaintances that have had diesel trucks of all three major manufacturers. The only one that was bought back by Chrysler under a state lemon law was a Dodge Ram...he had all kinds of issues non related to the engine.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Out of all my aquaintances that have had diesel trucks of all three major manufacturers. The only one that was bought back by Chrysler under a state lemon law was a Dodge Ram...he had all kinds of issues non related to the engine.

You can get a lemon regardless of what brand. My uncle had a nice new Ford F-250 that got lemon lawed for a number of things. Doesn't mean Ford's are a POS any more than your friends example of one Dodge does.

I personally know an incident where all three brands of diesel pickups were on a hunting trip traveling together, the Chevy Duramax got left at a dealership about halfway there (injectors went out), after arriving at the destination the Ford gave up the ghost (granted it was a 6.0), needless to say the Ford got towed home by the Dodge, and the Chevy was picked up on the way home. True story.
Originally Posted by tx270

You can get a lemon regardless of what brand. My uncle had a nice new Ford F-250 that got lemon lawed for a number of things. Doesn't mean Ford's are a POS any more than your friends example of one Dodge does.

I personally know an incident where all three brands of diesel pickups were on a hunting trip traveling together, the Chevy Duramax got left at a dealership about halfway there (injectors went out), after arriving at the destination the Ford gave up the ghost (granted it was a 6.0), needless to say the Ford got towed home by the Dodge, and the Chevy was picked up on the way home. True story.

There were way more Fords and Chevies and one Dodge Ram involved in my "results"....On probably a 20-1 scale. True you can get a lemon anywhere but Dodge seems to have that process patented grin
Originally Posted by tx270

Hahaha! How long was it before you could live with the Dodge guy after that trip? smile
I would never bitch about rebuilding a tranny that gave me over 125,000 miles service period. Hells Bells, you got your moneys worth out of that tranny for sure.
Originally Posted by Tonk
I would never bitch about rebuilding a tranny that gave me over 125,000 miles service period. Hells Bells, you got your moneys worth out of that tranny for sure.

Moneys worth my azz the truck is only 3-4 years old. There was no rebuilding to it. Had to put a new one in with a $6 thousand dollar price tag !!!! A heavy duty P/U with a heavy duty tranny should easily go more than 125,000 miles with proper maintenence. Heck I've had 20-30 of em in my small fleet of trucks easily get 2-300,000 miles on a tranny. Got one right now pushin 400,000. You must be driving toyotas, Nisans or some other rubber band type truck?????
© 24hourcampfire