Home
My last 4 trucks have been Fords (all 2 wheel drive)
I`m looking for a 4 wheel drive for towing a toy hauler
I`m really liking the looks of the Chevy 2500 over the F250.
But the Ford will tow more.
What`s your preference?
i bought a Chevy in 07 because i didn't want to deal with the ford gas motor, now i not sure the ford has a lot going for it mostly not being GM
and yes my 6.0 Gas would out pull and get better mileage then my buddy with the 5.4 F250
Chevy has a 6.0, ford has a new 6.2.
According to their respective charts the Ford will tow about 2,500 more lbs than the Chevy. That`s quite a difference.
True, i suspect the new ford power train is a hell of a go getter
I`m still likin the Chevy more
Chevy has a stiffer frame/suspension.
Originally Posted by K1500
Chevy has a stiffer frame/suspension.

I don't believe that, especially on the heavier duty trucks.
(my opinion anyways)

Regardless, if you're looking at a used model stay away from a 5.4 in a 3/4 ton. They'll do fine on flat ground pulling, but you get any sort of hills or free-way speeds pulling and your mileage will be just as bad as the V10 with a lot less power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah65OKoXZt4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6I8g0XXfDM&feature=player_embedded

Here ya go. Don't get too mad, just having a little fun.
As of now,the GM has a better transmission. Fords new 6 spd behind the 6.2 is having some issues. There are a couple LONG threads about it on the Ford sites.
Here ya go. Don't get too mad, just having a little fun.

Not mad at all, but when a manufacturer posts something do you honestly think it's going to show the competitors at an advantage in any way?

Interesting clip, the first one anyways that I watched.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about any of the gassers in 3/4-1 ton models these days.

What I do know is I travel a LOT around the central US around various horse type activities. Duramax might be a hell of an engine these days and they have probably the best factory tranny (Allison) but they aren't great when adding more power.

My long story longer, you just don't see many Chevy/GMC's pulling BIG horse trailers with living quarters. A lot of Fords and I would say 60-70% Dodges out there the last handful of years.

Head up to the Cities to a big horse event (that's where I'm going this weekend) and it's mostly Fords/Dodges pulling the heavy trailers.

Head out West River South Dakota where they're hauling 20000 lb hay trailers and you see more Dodges than anything.

Do they all have their strengths and weaknesses, they sure do.
Are any of them really bad, not really. In the real world does it really matter who makes it up to the top of a 2 mile long grade a couple seconds quicker? I really don't give a chit.
I'd take a Dodge over any of them. But, since you asked, Ford. For one, they out sell Chevy when it comes to trucks. Two, they aren't owned and run by Uncle Sam. E
I agree. In the real world they all make good trucks. A fellow generally drives his brand because thats what his father did. Outside of the Ford diesel SNAFU, they are all solid. Go with the brand you like based on style or cab. I know someone who switched brands because the cupholders were better in a Ram than a Chevy, and he didn't like the windows in a Ford.
I despise the CV shafts the Chevies use for front axles on their 3/4 tons , so I would take the Ford if limiting myself to a gas motor.....
Plan on getting into any rough stuff with the truck? Ford heavy duty 4x4 uses a solid (live) front axle that can take a good deal of abuse. Dodge Ram also uses a solid front axle on their heavy duty trucks. Chevy on the other hand has an independent front suspension. It uses two exposed axles with constant velocity joints covered by a boot at each end. I should provide a nicer highway ride at the expense of more vulnerable front end components. That's why you'll only ever see Ford and Dodge Ram heavy duty trucks used on logging sites. If you'll only stay on pavement the Chevy is an option. If not, Ford is my choice.
Thanks for all of the real world info guys, that`s what I was after.
I`m new to 4 wheel drive and trailer towing. ( I did drive my Dads Dodge pickup with tow behind camper down to Key West over the old bridges when I was seventeen. My a$$h0le is still puckered!)

I really think the increased towing capacity of the Ford over the Chevy or Dodge seals the deal for me.

Thanks again, Dennis
For me since they are all pretty good vehicles, Ford dominates in most areas of this market historically but the big thing is that Chrysler and GM took bail out money so I am boycotting any NEW vehicles from them.

My 96 Powerstroke Crew Cab has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned except maybe a Civic. That being said the post referred to gas engines anyway.

Buy what you really want so you only buy once!
I drive a 99 F350 SWB Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.4 and 4R100 auto, Probably the most gutless combination out there. It does just fine. I get about 12mpg empty, 10 towing. I have towed with it a bit, mostly cars, trucks, the odd load of hay here and there. I think the heaviest I have had on it was around 9k lbs. It did fine. Sure wouldn't win a drag race, but attaining and maintaining highway speeds was not an issue.
Spend some time in Texas and the Midwest & you'll see more Dodges pulling heavy than anything else. That should tell you something......
Originally Posted by badger
Spend some time in Texas and the Midwest & you'll see more Dodges pulling heavy than anything else. That should tell you something......

Something about Dodges or something about Texans?
Ford,then a Dodge, then a Chevy, but please no Rice Burnner's. Run the snot outa a Ford with Toby Keith on the radio.....later
Originally Posted by badger

Something about Dodges or something about Texans?

Well, your reply tells me something about you....... crazy
Living smack in the middle of oil field country, I see more Fords than anything else. Each area is different.
I love my 2011 ford F-250 6.2 gasser 4X4.Gas mileage kind of sucks though,13.8 city highway.coobie
Coobie

That`s good to hear
My 04 F150 barely gets 16 mpg so the 250 won`t be too much different.
Thanks for all of your replies
I ended up with a leftover 2011 F350XL 4x4 6.7 Powerstroke
Awesome truck so far (150 miles) :):):)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
i bought a Chevy in 07 because i didn't want to deal with the ford gas motor, now i not sure the ford has a lot going for it mostly not being GM
and yes my 6.0 Gas would out pull and get better mileage then my buddy with the 5.4 F250

Ford doesn't have the 5.4l anymore. Your 6.0 won't out tow it or get better MPG anymore if everthing is same/same.
Originally Posted by 35
Thanks for all of your replies
I ended up with a leftover 2011 F350XL 4x4 6.7 Powerstroke
Awesome truck so far (150 miles) :):):)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sweet!
Ford. Easy answer. The Super Duty has a solid front axle and is built to work. GM has that poor IFS setup that just doesn't cut it on a truck that is used for work. Dodge is just that, a Dodge.

GM and Dodge were both bailed out by the government.
Both companies cheated the taxpayers of the country.
The solid front axle is the winner,
Dodge paid Uncle Sugar back. GM doesn't have to. E
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Off subject yes, but since several have brought it up. That is my understanding too E, Dodge paid back the money they borrowed. Yes, they took bail out money, but at least they paid it back.
Originally Posted by 35
My last 4 trucks have been Fords (all 2 wheel drive)
I`m looking for a 4 wheel drive for towing a toy hauler
I`m really liking the looks of the Chevy 2500 over the F250.
But the Ford will tow more.
What`s your preference?

If you're towing and especially if there's mountainous terrain or any kind of grades, don't even mess with gasoline. Get a diesel, you'll enjoy driving and especially towing with it a lot more. About which one.....some of the posts on here are ignorant and flatout wrong. Best to drive them and judge for yourself.
Originally Posted by Eremicus

No way did Chrysler, aka Fiat, pay the government back all of the money. They still OWE $2 BILLION in taxpayer dollars.

They are no different than government motors, except that Fiat is a a foreign company. Both companies robbed the taxpayers money and didn't pay it back.

"Repayment of the loans will still leave U.S. taxpayers about $2 billion short. Treasury might recoup some of that money when the automaker holds its initial public offering either later this year or early next year. Treasury currently owns 8.6% of Chrysler's privately held shares, while the Canadians own 2.2%."

Link to article: http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/28/news/companies/chrysler_loan_repayment/index.htm
I'll keep buying pre-bailout GMs before I drive a Ford. mtmuley
Originally Posted by mtmuley
I'll keep buying pre-bailout GMs before I drive a Ford. mtmuley

I took all of the IFS 4x4 front end parts that I had left over from my pre-bailout gm trucks and took them to the junkyard.
There was quite a bit of scrap value in all of the worn out idler arms, tie rod ends, shocks, ball joints and cv axles.

© 24hourcampfire