Home
Posted By: Just a Hunter Tire Question - 12/14/11
I will be in need of tires this spring. I am looking for a tire that will have a good load rating, but still be aggressive enough to handle some mud and be decent on pavement.
I have used BFG All Terrain TA KO's in the past, but the last set wore out fairly quickly and the first set broke some belt with the tread still good.

Basically I need one that can hold up to towing a few ton of hay a year and consistantly having a 400g water tank on them on paved, gravel and dirt roads, then still get me where I need to go when it is wet.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: Hound_va Re: Tire Question - 12/14/11
You don't mention what sort of truck you have, which is fairly important. That said, you're talking about over 1.5 tons of water on the bed?
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Tire Question - 12/14/11
I usually only put 300g max on the truck. It is a 2000 3/4 ton GMC Ext cab long box.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Tire Question - 12/14/11
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

I've ran just about every major A/T on the market,the Hankooks are proving to be an outstanding tire.

Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Tire Question - 12/14/11
Cooper ST Maxx
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Tire Question - 12/14/11
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo 2's.
Posted By: badger Re: Tire Question - 12/14/11
Originally Posted by Mossy
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

I've ran just about every major A/T on the market,the Hankooks are proving to be an outstanding tire.

+100
Posted By: badger Re: Tire Question - 12/14/11
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo 2's.

They were good too, but the Hankooks blow them away.....
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Tire Question - 12/15/11
My dad and I have had really good luck with Mastercraft Tires on our trucks. I have their Courser A/T2 Tires on my 4x4 Ram. They're made by Cooper. They come in an "E" rating in a lot of sizes. They're a really good all round tire. Really good on pavement, in snow, on dirt & gravel roads and trials. Pretty good in mud and on wet terrain as well. Not noisy. I've gone places I never thought I could have gone with them on my truck. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get another set when I have to replace my current tires.

My friend had Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Tires on his 3/4 ton 4x4 Ram. He go's on dirt & gravel roads and trials and does quite a bit of mild off roading when he's hunting and trapping. He liked the traction they had, but said they wore out faster then he thought they should. He switched to BFG's, not sure which ones.

Good luck, NYH1! wink

Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Tire Question - 12/15/11
If you want a top tire, Toyo M55. Ten ply, great traction, good on pavement. In my opinion, one of, if not the best all around.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Tire Question - 12/15/11
The only problem with the Toyo M55 is the high cost and reading reviews the people say how rough of a ride the give, because of their stiffness. I think they would be good for my application however if I could afford them.

Many of the others suggested i have research also, but i don't think I have ever herd of the Hankook Dyna Pro ATM RF10. My brother has the Hankook MT on his pick-up and hates them. But, a different application and need than me.
I just looked up the Hankook Dyna Pro ATM RF10. Looks like a good tread pattern, but the load rating is way too low.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Tire Question - 12/15/11
Besides tire brand, perhaps it is time to bump up the load range on your tire of choice. I would think a Load range D or E might be the ticket. Go to the tire manufacturers web site of your choice and check out the load range of various tires in your size. Multiply the load time four to give you the carrying capacity of all four tires to get an idea if the tire you're interested in can handle the load you're trying to carry.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Tire Question - 12/15/11
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I just looked up the Hankook Dyna Pro ATM RF10. Looks like a good tread pattern, but the load rating is way too low.

Huh?

Size for size,the Hankooks have the same weight capacity as any other tire. The Hankooks on my 2500HD are rated for almost 3800lbs per tire.
Originally Posted by JeffP40
If you want a top tire, Toyo M55. Ten ply, great traction, good on pavement. In my opinion, one of, if not the best all around.

I agree with the M55s. I've had a couple sets myself. The problem is the very limited selection of sizes Toyo offers them in.

Thats one of the reasons I tried the Hankooks this time. No M55s in the size I need.
Posted By: ilikguns Re: Tire Question - 12/15/11
Nitto Terra Grapplers
I have only ever put D or E on this pick-up. I have E rated Kelly TSRs on now.

Huh?

Size for size,the Hankooks have the same weight capacity as any other tire. The Hankooks on my 2500HD are rated for almost 3800lbs per tire.

The Hankook MTs I looked at have a max load of ~3400 in the size I want. The ATM RF10s show less than 3000.

Huh?

What size tire?

The Hankook MTs I looked at have a max load of ~3400 in the size I want. The ATM RF10s show less than 3000.

Being a 2000 GMC you have 16" wheels stock. With a tire capacity of 3400lbs,I'm guessing you're talking about 265/75/16s

In that size,the ATMS and the MTs have the same 3415lb rating.

Huh?

What size tire?

275/70/18 3640lbs per tire.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Tire Question - 12/16/11

Being a 2000 GMC you have 16" wheels stock. With a tire capacity of 3400lbs,I'm guessing you're talking about 265/75/16s

In that size,the ATMS and the MTs have the same 3415lb rating.

Well I found a sight that agrees with your Max Load rating, so that is good.

The tires that came on the pick-up origianlly were 245/75R16s and I have since put on 265/75R16. I wish I could go taller, but that would require a lift of some kind.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Tire Question - 12/16/11
All my time in my 4X4 truck is for hunting/fishing, and getting there and back. I have tried most major brands over the years and have not found any better than the Michelin LTX M/S 2 10 ply. These came on the truck when it was new and I could go anywhere with them. They were like magic in all conditions.

Michelin tires are not cheap, but they come with a road hazard guarantee and I never needed it. They were unbelievable in snow. After 44,000 miles, I put on new Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires on and in another 45,000 miles I will tell you how good they were...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tdbob Re: Tire Question - 12/16/11
BFG Commercial Traction TA. I've got a set on my 97 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4. I really like this tire so far.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Tire Question - 12/16/11
shrapnel

How did those tires do in the mud and rainy paved roads? Did you carry any significant loads with them and if so how did they handle it?

Thanks.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Tire Question - 12/16/11
Originally Posted by shrapnel
All my time in my 4X4 truck is for hunting/fishing, and getting there and back. I have tried most major brands over the years and have not found any better than the Michelin LTX M/S 2 10 ply. These came on the truck when it was new and I could go anywhere with them. They were like magic in all conditions.

The HD Rams didn't come with Michelin's LTX MS/2. They're Michelin's LTX A/S,I had a set on my '07 Ram 3500 SRW. The same tire came on my dad's '07 Ram as well. They were easily the worst tire we've ever had on a pickup.

You're the first person I've ever heard that liked the OEM Michelins. The Dodge diesel forums are filled with people that either hated the tires,or had issues with dry rot within a year or two.

The LTX MS/2 is Michelin's latest aftermarket tire and is an entirely different animal than the POS LTX A/S. Same with the LTX AT/2
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Tire Question - 12/16/11
I use the same tires. I do long trips carrying a 4400 lb. camper and tow a 3000 lb. plus Jeep. Really outstasnding performance on wet, icy and snow covered pavement. Bought another set for my 3/4 ton Dodge this summer. E
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Tire Question - 12/17/11
shrapnel

How did those tires do in the mud and rainy paved roads? Did you carry any significant loads with them and if so how did they handle it?

Thanks.

The HD Rams didn't come with Michelin's LTX MS/2. They're Michelin's LTX A/S,I had a set on my '07 Ram 3500 SRW. The same tire came on my dad's '07 Ram as well. They were easily the worst tire we've ever had on a pickup.

You're the first person I've ever heard that liked the OEM Michelins. The Dodge diesel forums are filled with people that either hated the tires,or had issues with dry rot within a year or two.

The LTX MS/2 is Michelin's latest aftermarket tire and is an entirely different animal than the POS LTX A/S. Same with the LTX AT/2

Don't listen to the man behind the curtain!

Those Michelin tires were great in all conditions here in Montana, people north of Seattle only need Subarus and General tires. I went places with those tires and the Dodge truck, that I could never have gone in any 3 of my previous GM trucks with Toyo, Hankook, or Geolandars that I tried on those trucks. If you look at the picture, you can see that they aren't an aggressive tread, but they were amazing in all those conditions. I got the LTX MS/2 tires as they looked like they were more aggressive and I am hoping for even better performance.

I don't buy tires from hearsay on the internet. All the other tires I tried work well, but not as good as the Michelins that the Dodge forum (probably located in Van Nuys California) supposedly dislikes.

Don't let a clean truck fool you, this truck has been used for hunting and I want to be able to get where I am going and with those Michelins, that combination performed the best I have witnessed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Click this picture for a video crossing a swollen creek...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mossy Re: Tire Question - 12/17/11
Originally Posted by shrapnel
shrapnel

Thanks.

Don't listen to the man behind the curtain!

Those Michelin tires were great in all conditions here in Montana, people north of Seattle only need Subarus and General tires. I went places with those tires and the Dodge truck, that I could never have gone in any 3 of my previous GM trucks with Toyo, Hankook, or Geolandars that I tried on those trucks. If you look at the picture, you can see that they aren't an aggressive tread, but they were amazing in all those conditions. I got the LTX MS/2 tires as they looked like they were more aggressive and I am hoping for even better performance.

I don't buy tires from hearsay on the internet. All the other tires I tried work well, but not as good as the Michelins that the Dodge forum (probably located in Van Nuys California) supposedly dislikes.

Don't let a clean truck fool you, this truck has been used for hunting and I want to be able to get where I am going and with those Michelins, that combination performed the best I have witnessed.

You're an idiot. You don't even know which tires you're bragging about,yet you're offering advice?

Earlier you claim to have replaced the OEMs with LTX AT/2s,now you say they're LTX MS/2s?

Pull your head out of your ass before you offer advice next time.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Tire Question - 12/17/11
My mistake, the replacemant was as first stated...LTX A/T 2. I got lost reading your intelligent, but impartial review of the Michelin tires.

It is fun to see how easily a mistake your father made years ago, can get all twitterpated over nothing more than tires.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Tire Question - 12/17/11
shrapnel

Would you trust them in the "Breaks" mud?
Posted By: badger Re: Tire Question - 12/17/11
Just looked at my 265/70-17 E load range Hankooks. Max load (single axle) is 3195lb, identical to the Bridgestone Revo 2's that I took off.

http://www.amazon.com/Hankook-DynaPro-RF10-Off-Road-Tire/dp/B004QL68NM

Not the correct size or load rating in the link, but a visual of the tread pattern.........
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Tire Question - 12/18/11
shrapnel

Would you trust them in the "Breaks" mud?

I don't know what would work there. I have been there and tried to walk on gumbo and Bentonite both and don't know how a tire could make a difference. The only thing I can imagine getting around in severely wet conditions would be a 4 wheeler. A truck would have to be left on gravel or pavement.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Tire Question - 12/18/11
I am wondering if where you buy the truck makes a difference. I say that because the OE tires on my '06 Dodge were the same a Shrapnel's. They were 235's, not 265's because that's what is standard on the cheap Dodges. I bought that Dodge in Idaho, not Kalifornia like I did my 89.
On the other hand, I've had OE Michliens that were a long way from acceptable. My 89 came stock with a set that lasted well. Ignoring the warnings of others, I bought a replacement. Only to have ply separations convince me to spend more money on better ones.
I've also learned to pay attention to what the side walls are made of. The all steel ones I replaced my OE's with worked really well off road and suffered no side wall flats in spite of the mean places I went. E
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Tire Question - 12/18/11
Don't know about "Breaks" mud but if it is anything like southern clay the answer is the most aggressive pattern that is still road worthy and enough horsepower to "clean" the tires on demand. By that I mean enough power to spin the tires fast enough that centrifugal force will sling all of the mud clear of the tread, so the tread can grip some fresh mud.
Posted By: tx270 Re: Tire Question - 12/18/11
Originally Posted by badger
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

+100

I agree with these. To the OP, they handle heavy loads very well, in fact they have a stiffer sidewall than any other tire I've run. Since getting them I've grossed over 20k a few times and they have done great.

Bill
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Tire Question - 12/19/11
Take a knee, I don't think even a jet engine would spin a tire fast enough to sling off Breaks mud. It really is a unique substance. mtmuley
Posted By: Ackman Re: Tire Question - 12/19/11
I will be in need of tires this spring. I am looking for a tire that will have a good load rating, but still be aggressive enough to handle some mud and be decent on pavement.
I have used BFG All Terrain TA KO's in the past, but the last set wore out fairly quickly and the first set broke some belt with the tread still good.

Basically I need one that can hold up to towing a few ton of hay a year and consistantly having a 400g water tank on them on paved, gravel and dirt roads, then still get me where I need to go when it is wet.

Any thoughts?

I run Hankook RF10's on my 3/4T diesel. Best tire I've ever had on any truck. They were good last winter in Utah mountain snow. Also good was the Michelin LTX-AT2 but they only lasted about 34K miles. I drive jeep trails and plonk offroad, but leave mud alone whenever possible. The Michelin LTX-MS is a great road tire that lasts forever....... works ok in the sage, lousy in snow and scary on slick hardpacked. The MS2 is supposed to be better in winter but I have no personal experience with that one.
© 24hourcampfire