Home
Posted By: K1500 Goodyear Duratrac - 03/01/13
Anyone running this tire? It seems like it gets great reviews but is a bit spendy relative to the competition. The second choice would be a Toyo Open Country AT2, so I will entertain comments on it as well. Going on a crew cab diesel that tows a fairly light TT about 5,000 miles per year.
Posted By: tzone Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/01/13
I've never had luck with Goodyear tires. I've had more flats than with any other tire. That held true up through last week when I had on my explorer that has them on it. They came on it, I didn't buy them.

If you drive off road, I'd pass on GY's.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/01/13
I don't own them, but I've been looking for a set of winter tires for my Excursion and the Duratrac's look amazing to me on Tire Rack's site. There are also some reviews on the site of dually owners who have them and they are very pleased.

Click Here
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/01/13
The dura trac was the only Goodyear Lt tire I ever saw as usefull, the workhorse wasn't a bad tire if you didn't need it to be round
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/01/13
I have owned 3 sets of goodyears. I won't ever be owning a 4th...........Go Michelin
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/02/13
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
The dura trac was the only Goodyear Lt tire I ever saw as usefull, the workhorse wasn't a bad tire if you didn't need it to be round
That's the truth about the Workhorse. Mine are about wore out, and I can't wait. mtmuley
Posted By: BWalker Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/02/13
They are loud on road, wear fast, but decent on snow.
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/02/13
I agree. I had mine siped, and they really worked well on snowy Montana mountain roads. Just always had balancing issues. mtmuley
Posted By: ENorton Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/02/13
I have run Goodyear wrangler ATS for years. I am guessing at least 5 sets and never had problems. Decent traction in snow, excellent otherwise. They were not available in the size I needed for my current truck.

I now have my first set of Duratracs on a 2011 1500 Silverado and so far so good after about 9000 miles. Good in snow, good on ice and snow covered roads. Not very loud on hiway and wear seems fine but I have not actually measured it. Mileage appears to be reduced over the stock Bridgestone all terrain tires by about 1.5 MPG. Size is 275 X 65 18.

From what I have seen so far I would buy them again.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/02/13
I would look hard at Goodrich All Terrains. Decent off road, quiet, last a long time and excellent on snow.
They are also E load range rated, which of note if they are going on a diesel.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/02/13
I had Duratrac's on an F150 crew and they were great. Put them on a Superduty and they were not great. E-rated, plenty of PSI, blah, blah, blah, they were "squishy" and took WAY to long to set into a corner @ highway speed on dry pavement. I'd hate to see what they'd do on slickery stuff with a heavy pickup.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/02/13
That's the one concern I have heard voiced about them. I would be getting 285/60r20 E's so the sidewall would be fairly low profile. What size were the squishy ones on your SuperDuty?
Posted By: horse1 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/04/13
265/70/17
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by horse1
I had Duratrac's on an F150 crew and they were great. Put them on a Superduty and they were not great. E-rated, plenty of PSI, blah, blah, blah, they were "squishy" and took WAY to long to set into a corner @ highway speed on dry pavement. I'd hate to see what they'd do on slickery stuff with a heavy pickup.

I was considering them but that sure has me worried. Pulling a 20ft stock trailer loaded,I don't want squishy for sure.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/05/13
I would've loved them to work as I thought they were great in the snow/slippery stuff and weren't super noisy nor did they have a large detrimental effect on MPG as some of the more aggressive treads do. Alas, I couldn't suffer the "squish". The real un-nerving part was how long it really did take for them to "set" into a corner/curve @ highway speed. They'd push, push, push, while you added more wheel and then finally set and then dart like you had way too much wheel for the curve, that's when it was dry. I didn't save them long enough to give them a chance on the slippery/snowy stuff.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/05/13
A couple that have done well for us are the Kelly TSR and Firsestone Destination AT and MT. The MT we had siped and so far it is unstoppable and has good road manners. The AT Holds the road nice in our 1/2 ton suburban.
Posted By: rdd Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/05/13
I have the Duratracs on my 2012 1/2 ton Ford and I must say they have been a great tire for the snow and better than any other AT tire that I have had in the mud. I too was concerned about the squish but my tires are on 20" rims so there isn't as much side wall so I have never noticed any push or squish in the corners.

Another tire to look at would be Nitto.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by rdd
I have the Duratracs on my 2012 1/2 ton Ford and I must say they have been a great tire for the snow and better than any other AT tire that I have had in the mud. I too was concerned about the squish but my tires are on 20" rims so there isn't as much side wall so I have never noticed any push or squish in the corners.

Another tire to look at would be Nitto.

I had them on an '05 5.4L F-150 crew in 265/70/17 Load E and thought the same thing about them, outstanding. Put them on an '06 F250 6.0L diesel (Same size, Load E, 75PSI just like the door jam said to) and was immediately underwhelmed.

Currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers on an '11 F250/6.7L and they seem pretty good. I'm @ about 15K on them and they look like they'll make 40K or so before I replace them. I hate running tires down to bare nothing so I replace when many would run another 5-10K mi.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by horse1

I had them on an '05 5.4L F-150 crew in 265/70/17 Load E and thought the same thing about them, outstanding. Put them on an '06 F250 6.0L diesel (Same size, Load E, 75PSI just like the door jam said to) and was immediately underwhelmed.

I had the same issue with Goodyear Silent Armours on my 04 Ram diesel. Picked the truck up after the shop closed, drove it about 50 yards to the first turn in the parking lot and hated them from that point. Got home and cranked them up to 80psi. Better, but still horrible. They replaced BFG C-rated tires, and were nowhere near as stiff in the sidewall. Towing the boat with them probably caused permanent dents in the steering wheel - it was downright scary.

I finally took them to the shop and talked the manager into going on a ride with me and he agreed to take them back. I paid the difference, plus a little bit, and went back to BFGs.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/06/13
Such divergent opinions. I really want the 285/60r20 Duratracs, but the 285/55r20 Toyo AT2 is probably a safer bet.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/06/13
I bought BFG All Terrains but wanted the Duratracs until it came down to dropping the money. I read too many reports of them being "Good for a Year" After 10 or 15k they start having balancing problems and don't hold up. I believed it because of the Goodyear MTR's that I had on my Rubicon. I have ran Nitto Terra Grapplers and was pleased. I have no opinion on that Toyo due to no experience.
Posted By: vloschen Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/28/13
check into the coopers i have had great luck with them have had bfg on my truck they wear good but if the grass was wet good luck going anywhere had gy also good traction but wear and some balance issues all have been on 3/4t ram diesel 4x4s 06 and up
i do alignment and suspension work at a retail/wholesale tire/auto repair business that the main tire is goodyear but get and sell all brands so ive seen and heard alot about diff tires on small to heavy trucks
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/29/13
vloschen; What is your opinion of Michelins on pickups? I've never owned any, but am considering the LTX AT2 or AS2 for my Tundra.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/29/13
I know you were not asking me, but I have heard mixed reports on the Michelins. There is the 'cult of Michelin' crew that just rave about them. The latest versions is made with some sort of green compound seem to have sidewall cracking problems. Michelin apparently refuses to warranty them unless the cracking is extreme, going so far as to put out an guide of acceptable sidewall cracking.
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/29/13
Well that's interesting. I'm guessing the cracking isn't from age because the new-compound green tires haven't been out long enough for that. Is that your understanding, too?
Posted By: vloschen Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/30/13
bulletbutt i have not ran mich on any heavy trucks so i couldnt give an honest answer have heard the duratracs do feel like they are squishy or floaty when new but once you get a few hundred miles they seem to work great kinda same for all the tires that are a little more aggressive than your average highway tire keeping up on rotates are a must on gy to get the max miles out of them
Posted By: Trappererick Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/30/13
I am running 245/75/16 6ply Duratracs on my 2010 Xterra and love them. I have two winters on them they are great in the snow, great in the mud, and good driving back and forth to work on the pavement. I have over 10,000 miles on this set and they still have good tread. The only problem I have had is a stone pucnture when the tire was only two weeks old. I was able to get it plugged and move it to the spare position other than that I keep them rotated every oil change and have had no issues.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Goodyear Duratrac - 03/30/13
Yep, that's my impression. The new compound is to blame.
© 24hourcampfire