Home
I have to replace the combo switch in my old 4Runner. It is in the steering column, and controls the lights, wipers, etc. Part number is 8430-35240.
Prices I have been quoted are insane. Cheapest so far is $254.
Anyone have a source that might be less expensive?
Rock Auto didn't find it with that part number but they are a lot cheaper
I will call them then. Thanks.

bummer, they don't have that switch. smirk
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have to replace the combo switch in my old 4Runner. It is in the steering column, and controls the lights, wipers, etc. Part number is 8430-35240.
Prices I have been quoted are insane. Cheapest so far is $254.
Anyone have a source that might be less expensive?

Try an find an Aussie 4x4/Off-roading forum and ask on there..those guys are pretty big on 4Runners/ Surfs..You might find the same switch is used on other vehicles..

Edited to add, a quick search on google turned up these on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/toyota-headlight-switch

I know the 4Runner/Surf was based on the Hilux pick-up, but I am not sure how interchangeable the parts are..Given the potential saving, its worth following up..

Regards

Peter
Try Pinehurst Toyota

1-877-340-1977
These guys know a lot...yotatech.com
the switch, as it turns out, is specific to the VIN number. Get the wrong one, and it won't hook up.
I found one for $211, but when I called, it was gone. Back to the drawing board.
The only function that does not exist anymore with the switch, is the High Beams. I can flick them, but when you push the lever forward to turn them on full time, all the lights go out.
For now, I just use the 100 Watt Hella driving lights as the high beams, and that works ok. Heck, I don't even drive much at night anyway. lol
Take it apart and fix it. It is probably a worn wire or contact. Of course, if you screw it up...
ya know, I actually found a blog site that told/showed how to pull that switch and repair the contacts.
I don't have the skill, or the inclination. I stopped working on cars 25+ years ago.
Have you looked on sleezebay?

I found a few used ones there for far less $$$.
That's a common Toyota problem but it's easily fixed. Look here: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#Headlight_Combo
Roger Brown comes through again. That guy knows Toyotas, obviously.
© 24hourcampfire