Home
Posted By: TBREW401 Tundra - 03/24/14
Question for the Tundra owners,
Looked at the new Tundra today and found that the rear ratio is 4.30 and that is the only option listed.
This truck is a extended cab 4x4, 5.7, auto.
What is the real world gas mileage to be expected?
The listed mileage is 13 city and 17 hwy, is that realistic?
Thanks
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Tundra - 03/24/14
Really. 13 17mpg
I get better than that with my 93 chev 4x4 3/4 ton..it gets 15/18 mpg
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
Really.
That's what the sticker says.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Really.

Its realistic if you drive like a grandma. Most likely you'll be in the 12-15 mpg range
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
My wife has that engine in her suv and she seems to get about 12-13. Tons of power but fuel efficient it ain't
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
Considering its a 5,600# 4wd truck with 381 HP and over 400 ft lb's of torque, it does not get bad gas mileage....at least IMO. In town mileage on mine is between 12 and 14 but on the open road I can do a tad better than the EPA sticker says. For me the key is to keep the rpm's under 1750.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
Mine turns 2,000 rpm at 75 mph, and I have to have a pretty stiff headwind or a lot of up and down to drop below the low 17 mpg range.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
I've owned Tundra's since they first came on the scene.. My present one is about 2 years old and has 70,000 miles on it.. When towing my 23 foot trailer loaded I get about 10.5/gal.. If I am just driving, I would say my average mileage is around 17-18.. I have gotten as high as 22, but the wind was pushing me..
At one time or another I've owned pickups by all the makers but Dodge... We will buy another soon.. It will be a Tundra.. Haven't seen anything Chev. or Ford or Dodge puts out that would make me change..
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
I think the Tundra's of the last 3-4 years are getting slightly better mileage than my 07. On the highway, with the cruise set at 71-72 I get in the mid 16's to the low 17's. Used to do a bit better before I put the current tires on it, they're a fairly aggressive all terrain design.
Posted By: broomd Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
Best mileage my '07 4.7 4wd has seen is 20.1 for a 1000 mile round trip to Bend, Or.
Overall I average around 18.5 on the road; 15 in town. I love the Tundra series but wish Toyota had really tried to squeeze the mpgs out of them, shame.
I've had four Tundras and as many T100s.

Granted it was smaller and a v6, but at least the T100 4wd ext cab would deliver a solid 21mpg on the road.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Really.

Its realistic if you drive like a grandma. Most likely you'll be in the 12-15 mpg range
This is true, it takes real effort to coax out 19-20 mpg with a 4wd ex-cab. In serious hills and wind, forget it.

Add a camper (and lund boat) like mine? 11 mpg.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
broomd, how does your Tundra haul that Lance??? I have a 5.7 with and extra cab..But what I read, it didn't seem like I could carry a camper on it.. So we have used a travel trailer.. I would like a camper for some trips, and as you said for towing a boat..
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
Originally Posted by mudhen
Mine turns 2,000 rpm at 75 mph, and I have to have a pretty stiff headwind or a lot of up and down to drop below the low 17 mpg range.

Sounds like you have the 4.30 rear gearing as well. My wife and I took a 120 mile round trip Saturday and averaged 20.7. Never got over 62mph or so as it was a 2 lane rural road. The on board computer was pretty close as it said I averaged 20.4.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 03/25/14
On line research shows that a 4.30 is the rear for a 4x4 with tow and with the 6 speed trans, with double overdrive, the mileage will be ok you don't get too heavy on throttle.
I will be towing a 26ft travel trailer some, so it should serve well.

Thanks for the response and info.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
broomd, how does your Tundra haul that Lance??? I have a 5.7 with and extra cab..But what I read, it didn't seem like I could carry a camper on it.. So we have used a travel trailer.. I would like a camper for some trips, and as you said for towing a boat..

Hauls it just fine, Wyo.

That is Lances 805 model, it is specifically built for the titan and tundra series at about 1300 pounds. It isn't full of amenities, but is tall enough for my 6'6'' self. Most guys want everything in these campers and therefore the 805 series weren't that popular except for guys that wanted them for the Tundra/Titans.
I bought this 2009 one spankin new in Yakima in 2011 right at $8K.

I added ride rite bags, and ten plies to the Toy. Runs out fine pulling a 17' Lund. I haul it across the states to Northwest Ontario every Summer.
As I said though, I fight for every one of those 11 mpg with the camper/boat behind me.

On line research shows that a 4.30 is the rear for a 4x4 with tow and with the 6 speed trans, with double overdrive, the mileage will be ok you don't get too heavy on throttle.
I will be towing a 26ft travel trailer some, so it should serve well.

Thanks for the response and info.

Just keep an eye on the computer, and easy does it.
Expect between 10 and maybe 12 if you are very lucky; wind is a huge factor.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Tundra - 03/26/14
I have an 11 with the 5.7 4x4, trd with tow package (4.3 re). calendar year 2013 was 16.6ish mix of rural town, highway and off road with 4x4 driving in winter and off road. I don't drive it like I stole it (most of the time) and it does fine between fill ups.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tundra - 03/27/14
i don't understand what you guys see in these swelled up bodied lookin trucks. got to the ugliest truck ever on the road plus most get worst mileage than chevy or ford.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tundra - 03/27/14
I wouldn't take a chevy if you gave it to me.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tundra - 03/27/14
thats the way i feel about toyota,honda,nissan,etc. its flat out unamerican to even want one to me.you just driven nails in your own coffin.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Tundra - 03/28/14
When I bought my 11 tundra it was the most American made truck of the year based on my research at the time. It drives well, does well off roading, gets better mileage than my 04 2500hd and has significantly more power.

I won't buy another chevy either, but would buy a ford if I liked it enough.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tundra - 03/28/14
so you enjoy feeding the japs. motor size beng the same in a toyota and chevy in most cases you'll get better mpg in a chevy.

american made means nothing when its owned by a foriegn company.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tundra - 03/28/14
Originally Posted by srwshooter
thats the way i feel about toyota,honda,nissan,etc. its flat out unamerican to even want one to me.you just driven nails in your own coffin.

Well The Toyota Tundra and Tacoma are made in Texas almost entirely of American Made trucks. Your Beloved Chevy Trucks are made in Mexico...look at the country of origin on the window sticker. They put those plants south of the Border after being bailed out by Stupid Taxpayers. HOw Unamerican is that. You couldn't give me a fuggin Chevy POS after Obama dismantled them.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Tundra - 03/28/14
Don't pay the hypocrite much attention. Tikka, Nikon, and Kawasaki have been known to sit on his gear list...
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Tundra - 03/28/14
broomd, Many thanks.. I will look into this one!!! I may pm you if I have questions, and you don't mind. I am not a very sharp when talking vehicles..
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 03/28/14
I was not asking for recommendations on what to buy, thank you.
I was asking for input from those who drive a Tundra.
I have looked at Ford, Chevy, and Toyota trucks.
BTW,Chevy has that DOD system that cause oil usage of about a quart per 1000 miles, (chevy acknowledges it is a problem), and besides they are fugly now.

So, you buy what you want, I will do the same.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Tundra - 03/28/14

So which is it; the body is ugly (your opinion),the gas mileage is worse (not per my experience - but a 25% difference must be minor to you - 12mpg chevy 6.0 vs. 16.6 Toyota 5.7), or I'm feeding the "japs," since typically, when something is made in the USA, it means that American's are being fed.

Not that I really care, just pointing out the moving targets here.
Posted By: hillbill Re: Tundra - 03/29/14
I have owned a tundra since 07 and it has the 4.30s with the 5.7 and until recently nothing would hang with it in the pulling dept or from 0-100 and back to a stop. I have driven 6.0 chevy 2500s for the last 12 years ( work) and they are dogs in comparison, power and gas mileage. I had my truck to the dealer one time to replace the cd player under warranty and that's it in over 6 years and from a first model year run truck.

yes its true, the tundra is the most made in the USA truck on the road to date. some of the competition has finally caught up in some aspects but I seriously doubt they can compare as far as durability goes over the long haul.

my mileage varies from 13 -18 depending on where I drive and pulling a 26 ft camper I got 11.2 letting the hammer down on a trip from Ohio to TN and that was some pretty good pulls on the grades running 70- 80. try that with a 1500 chevy or a 2500 for that matter and see what mileage you end up with TRYING to stay with the tundra. about 9 mpg with either and whimpy whimpy on the hills.

what would I buy if buying another new truck? Made in USA of course! But it would have a Tundra badge on it.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Tundra - 03/29/14
It always surprises me when I read the Tundra threads and the gas mileage gets reported. I have a 5.7, 6 speed, 4x4, double cab, Tundra that does not have the tow package. It gets 20 mpg driving regular. If I'm towing or hauling something it drops noticeably, but 20's a pretty fair bet for normal highway driving. Is it the lack of a towing package that's helping it?
Posted By: 30338 Re: Tundra - 03/29/14
Up to around 113,000 on my 08 tundra. I just put premium in it, but tend to get better mileage than listed by most here. That is 113,000 with no repairs yet. Just the maintenance. Change out the synthetic oil every 10,000 miles. Good truck. It won't be for sale until it is north of 250,000.
Posted By: Swift Re: Tundra - 03/31/14
so you enjoy feeding the japs. motor size beng the same in a toyota and chevy in most cases you'll get better mpg in a chevy.

american made means nothing when its owned by a foriegn company.

Here we go again..... sleep
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tundra - 03/31/14
and we'll go again and again til some of you wake up. this is the whole problem with our country. YOU CAN'T WAKE UP AN ALREADY DEMOCRATIC ACTING AMERICAN.THE BRAIN WASHING HAS WORKED WELL.

someone above said that i have bought foriegn guns and thats true. guns are not big ticket items to me. i usually own hundreds in a years time.big ticket items that i own include.
5 chevy's,2 polaris atv's,a custm built in america jetboat with a mercury outboard.

go buy a house in japan,THEN MOVE IN IT!!!!.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
Why would we buy a house in Japan?
What does that have to do with a truck?
That's made in Texas?
Posted By: tzone Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
100's of guns in a years time you say? Well that's what? $40k, 50k, 60k,? On foreign guns, that's more than the American made tundra costs...... Pay no attention to the wizard!

What a hypocrite.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
never said i ever owned that many foreign made guns.i may own a few a year. you making it up as you go now.a made in usa tundra is still a foriegn truck. thats just your way to justify what you do and still claim you are a real american. its the number one excuse.you are still feeding the japs as they laugh a you for buying that junk.

tzone ,don't call me a hypocrite. i 'd bet you complain about all the foreign junk in dept stores and drive a toyota. like the guy at walmart with a sign on his car telling people not to buy there foriegn junk,he was driving a nissan.thats a real hypocrite. my bet is you guys voted for obama to.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
tzone ,don't call me a hypocrite.

Why not? There are no degrees of hypocrisy. You either is, or you ain't...

hyp�o�crite
noun \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\

: a person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
never said i ever owned that many foreign made guns.i may own a few a year. you making it up as you go now.a made in usa tundra is still a foriegn truck. thats just your way to justify what you do and still claim you are a real american. its the number one excuse.you are still feeding the japs as they laugh a you for buying that junk.

tzone ,don't call me a hypocrite. i 'd bet you complain about all the foreign junk in dept stores and drive a toyota. like the guy at walmart with a sign on his car telling people not to buy there foriegn junk,he was driving a nissan.thats a real hypocrite. my bet is you guys voted for obama to.

If you purchase a GM vehicle, does that correlate to a vote for Obama as well?
I sure am glad to know Polaris and Mercury haven't used Japanese made power plants...

You do know what TMC is, right?
never said i ever owned that many foreign made guns.i may own a few a year. you making it up as you go now.

You actually did say that. You edited your post that I got it from. So you're now MORE of a hypocrite.

i usually own hundreds in a years time.

I actually drive a Ford. I have 3 of them. An 55 f-100, a 1978 F-150 4x4, and a 2006 Explorer.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I sure am glad to know Polaris and Mercury haven't used Japanese made power plants...

You do know what TMC is, right?

I wouldn't be too proud of that Polaris. grin

Which Merc? They have foreign blood in em too. Some of em anyway.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
We live in a global economy, very different from what most of us grew up with. Unfortunately, there is no going back. I just concentrate on buying things that work best for me, regardless of where they are made. I still choose American made stuff when the quality and utility are roughly equivalent to stuff made overseas, but it's a pretty futile gesture these days.
tzone- I don't own a Polaris and yes I understand the Tohatsu Mercury partnership. Apparently I wasn't clear that my post was sarcastic and pointed at the hypocrite.

It appears that even if the hypocrite's Polaris has a US made engine, he still sent money to Japan with his "big ticket" purchase due to Fuji Heavy Industries being a large Polaris shareholder until last fall.
Posted By: Seminole39 Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
Originally Posted by hillbill
I have owned a tundra since 07 and it has the 4.30s with the 5.7 and until recently nothing would hang with it in the pulling dept
this made me chuckle
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tundra - 04/01/14
guys,these days you can not buy ALL made in america. i try to deal with american based(owned companies)when ever i can.if you are going to buy nothing but used trucks it doesn't matter much.its all those new ones that really hurt.i've owned chevy's all my life.owned 4 chevy trucks sense high school .they all severd me well and lasted a long time.

1978 chevy short bed 2wd......retired at 349,000
1988 chevy long bed 4x4.......retired at 329,000
2004 chevy colorado z71 crewcab 4x4..........141,000 still drive daily
2007 gmc seirra long bed 4x4..................40,000miles
i don't buy trucks often and when i get rid of them they are shot.oh,the tranny that was in my 1978 is in a friends truck with over 400,000 on it ,never rebuilt. trans additives have kept it running strong all those years.
Gotchya. smile Sorry.
Posted By: hillbill Re: Tundra - 04/02/14
I believe in supporting a company that employs American workers, tundra trannys are built here as is the engines/drivetrain and the truck itself is built in texas by American workers. can you say that for the rest of the American trucks?

I for one didn't vote for Obama either time and never would, he has the unions behind him and I believe the UAW was one of his main supporters. what does that tell you? the UAW is what has driven the big three out of this country, Detroit has become a ghost town along with many other citys across the country that once made American viechles and parts.

I still own a dodge 2500 diesel and someday might own another " American " truck but not til the tundra dies
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Tundra - 04/02/14
Toyota engines built in Alabama
Posted By: pumpgun Re: Tundra - 04/11/14
With my 2010 crew max(5.7L V8) I'm running between 14.5 to 15.5 in city. I tend to run between 19 and 20 on hwy with cruse control.

tom
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 04/12/14
So, I bought a 2014 dbl cab, limited, 4x4, 5.7 with towing.
Only had it a week, love it. Haven't towed yet.
Will report more later.
Posted By: Swift Re: Tundra - 04/13/14
So, I bought a 2014 dbl cab, limited, 4x4, 5.7 with towing.
Only had it a week, love it. Haven't towed yet.
Will report more later.

Enjoy! My family loves their Tundra , Tacoma and Rav4 and Camry.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Tundra - 04/13/14
I'm a big fan of the Toyota line of products. I thought of buying a Tundra but felt the Tacoma would serve my needs as my towing needs are very limited but did want a pickup bed.
Posted By: ChiefPilot Re: Tundra - 04/20/14
My '07 Tundra, 4x4, extended cab 5.7L gets 16-18 most of the time.

Unless there's a bad headwind! I keep the revs 2000 or below and it stays in that range for mpg. Over that and it does go down a bit.

Towing my 16' covered motorcycle trailer or 18" Lund Impact mileage is 13-14 cross country. I do have a fiberglass topper and aluminum custom gun box in the bed at all times.

I'm picking up a new 4Wheel slide in camper next month. It weighs 895 pounds so not really much more than my current topper and gun box combo. I expect since it's a pop-up camper additional parasite drag shouldn't have a big influence on the mileage either.

BTW - I don't give a rats a** what others drive and really don't care what they think of what I drive. It is a great benefit of living here, we are FREE to make those choices on how to spend our INCOME/EARNINGS.

If a foreign country makes products here that only means lots of jobs, taxes being paid in the USA, and good employment opportunities for the future. Do you really think there are no US companies operating in other countries, making product there and employing foreign workers?

Wake up.
Posted By: par208s Re: Tundra - 04/20/14
I was not asking for recommendations on what to buy, thank you.
I was asking for input from those who drive a Tundra.
I have looked at Ford, Chevy, and Toyota trucks.
BTW,Chevy has that DOD system that cause oil usage of about a quart per 1000 miles, (chevy acknowledges it is a problem), and besides they are fugly now.

So, you buy what you want, I will do the same.

I have a 12, 5.7, 4.30 gears crew cab and no mater where I drive it city town highway it get 17.4 mpg. and 1 1/2 quarts of oil used every 1200 miles,
Toyota claims that is normal?!?!?!
Owned one ford,8 chevy's and this Toyota and the Toyota has been the best for milage.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Tundra - 04/26/14
That is some horseshit gas mileage!
My 2003 F 150 with 4.6 liter and 5 speed manual will get 17-18 mpg on highway trips.
Not so when pulling a trailer.
Uses no oil between changes! I would buy another.

Posted By: Royce Re: Tundra - 04/26/14
Tbrew
I have a 2011 Tundra and it gets a solid mile per gallon above those estimates, and even better when I baby it. Best part, mileage doesn't drop off much in the winter like it did on my old chevy. I have gotten 20 mpg on trips, driving 65.
You'd have a hard time making me buy anything other than another Toyota.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Tundra - 04/26/14
My Dodge Ram was built in Mexico.
Posted By: Swift Re: Tundra - 04/27/14
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My Dodge Ram was built in Mexico.

OK srw what does that make RockC?
© 24hourcampfire