Home
Posted By: ironbender Fluid Change Interval? - 04/13/14
For the Manual trans and rear diff on a 2WD Taco.

180K miles and I bet never changed. Should I?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/13/14
The first one I owned, had 275K on it when I sold it and never had any fluids changed except oil. The one I have now is approaching 100K, Ditto.

Thinking back, I have never changed any fluids of transmission or rear differential on any vehicle I have owned, except when I was repairing it which were mostly leaks. Mostly put the old stuff back in and added new oil to bring to up to full. My 1952 8N tractor did have the 90 weight gear oil replaced with trans hydraulic fluid to get the rear pump working better in cold weather.

Maybe I have just been lucky.
Posted By: tominboise Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/13/14
I would change it. It doesn't cost much and can't hurt anything. I change those fluids on my rigs every 2 to 4 years, depending on the service they are seeing.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/13/14
I change my trans and axle fluids every 50 K...

I do it myself, so the cost is pretty cheap considering...

since they have the drain plugs I do it... remember most American stuff doesn't have a drain plug...

cheap insurance.. no issues, on a 27 year old truck with 525 Thousand on it now...
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/14/14
That's longevity. Think those fluid changes might have paid for themselves.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/15/14
Do mine every 50,000, I would change it.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/15/14
I'm in the 50k camp too. Especially if you tow with it. Up to a 100k with normal service would probably get you by in most rigs.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/15/14
What year is your Tacoma? I had a 99 Tacoma 4wd and it called for a GL-4 gear oil in the transmission and transfer case. The diffs called for a GL-5. I would recommend you try Redline MT-90 Gear Oil for your transmission. There are some more readily available oils that meet both GL-4 and GL-5 specs. However, some have experienced synchro issues after using some of these...if you believe what you read on forums. grin

www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/15/14
I would change it, it's not a hard job and chances are good that the fluids that are in it, have lost their usefulness.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/15/14
Thanks all. I'll change it.

I'll have to Google what fluid to use as I don't have an owner's manual.
Originally Posted by ironbender
For the Manual trans and rear diff on a 2WD Taco.

180K miles and I bet never changed. Should I?

I guess it depends on conditions where the truck is used the most.

Going to change the tranny and rear diff fluid on my Sons 2006 that has 81k on it. On my 2009 I changed the diff at 65k after the rear wheel bearing was replaced.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/17/14
Living in AK,, I'd go for 75 W 90 Mobil Synthetic....

If that was originally in it, I wouldn't worry about it having 180K on it...that's pretty tough gear lube...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/17/14
It's a '95. I'm sure it did't come from the factory 19 years ago with syn fluids! smile

I'll put 75w90 dino in it.
It's a '95. I'm sure it did't come from the factory 19 years ago with syn fluids! smile

Seals might not be compatible with Synthetics ..Good Idea
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/18/14

You should really look in to the Redline MT-90 for a Toyota manual transmission.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/18/14
Tell me why? I saw that mentioned on the taco forum. This is 2wd, no off road, daily driver rig.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/19/14
Tell me why? I saw that mentioned on the taco forum. This is 2wd, no off road, daily driver rig.

The GL-5 gear oils *could* harm the synchros in the manual transmission of the Tacoma. Some additive in the newer formulation I suppose. Mine only had 90,000 miles when I changed it and did not want to take a chance on wrecking the tranny. Seems like the best price I found was from Summit Racing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/19/14
I've read GL-4 in the trans and GL-5 is OK in the read diff. Also read some fluids have sulfur which is bad for the synchros.

Regular dino gear oil should be OK?

Maybe I'll call the Toyota dealer and get the reco. I don't have a book.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 04/19/14
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

You should really look in to the Redline MT-90 for a Toyota manual transmission.

100% agree! My 93 had a little catch going into 3rd and I changed it out with the Redline and it shifts like butter now.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 05/06/14
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

The GL-5 gear oils *could* harm the synchros in the manual transmission of the Tacoma. Some additive in the newer formulation I suppose. Mine only had 90,000 miles when I changed it and did not want to take a chance on wrecking the tranny. Seems like the best price I found was from Summit Racing.

same thing goes for the AX15 Tranny in a jeep yj. brass syncros corrode when exposed to sulfer. Redline also makes a fluid for manual trannies called MTL (manual transmission lube) that is used where 30 weight motor oil is called for tranny lube.

I change my tranny and differentials at 50 k also. 196k on my jeep and it runs and shifts like butter.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 05/07/14
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Seals might not be compatible with Synthetics ..Good Idea

Mine's an 88 4WD 4 Runner... but it has over 1/2 million on it...and has used synthetic gear oil most of its life...so the seals are compatible...
Posted By: milespatton Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 05/07/14
It says that you can download a Toyota manual here. miles

toyotamanual
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 05/07/14
Originally Posted by milespatton
It says that you can download a Toyota manual here. miles

toyota

Can't get it to work.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 05/07/14
Can't get it to work.

Maybe I got it fixed. miles
Posted By: Seafire Re: Fluid Change Interval? - 06/04/14