Home
Posted By: Shag adhesive/epoxy - 08/16/14
Going to glue /adhere one of those velcro hide-a-key things to the underside of my sons car. The car is very hard to break into if he locks his key in it. Anyone got a favorite epoxy that they use for these types of applications. Prefer something that sets/cures fast.

Thanks
Posted By: fish head Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/16/14
A different option for a spare that I really like is a wallet key. You can have a key made that's flat and doesn't have a blob on the end that fits in wallet.

I have a factory wallet key that came with my truck and it's definitely come in handy.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/16/14
Get one of the magnetic hide-a-key holders. More than likely the epoxy will eventually let go and the key will be gone. If not a magnetic holder then rig up a way to zip tie it under the car.
Posted By: K1500 Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/16/14
Hose clamps. They won't degrade like epoxy or weather out like zip ties.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/16/14
Been using magnetic holders for a long time. There are lots of nooks and crannies under the vehicle where they can be hidden and never fall out. I might have to get dirty crawling under the vehicle, but I promise no one else will see it and it won't fall out.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/17/14
Originally Posted by fish head
A different option for a spare that I really like is a wallet key. You can have a key made that's flat and doesn't have a blob on the end that fits in wallet.

I have a factory wallet key that came with my truck and it's definitely come in handy.
With the security system in my Dodge Ram, a key without the built-in remote will set off the alarm every time. They can't program it otherwise. A honking horn is better than having to break a window, though. I had a spare key made that will open the doors and start the truck but it sure wakes up the neighborhood.

With any kind of box under the vehicle, I suggest wrapping the key in Saran Wrap inside the box. Water goes everywhere under a car.
Posted By: pal Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/17/14
He has to learn, sometime, to keep track of his keys.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/17/14
Just use a heavier piece of wire and wire it up under the frame.

I have one on my Dodge. It's been there since 98 and I have used it about three times
Posted By: Shag Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/17/14
Thanks for the input guys!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/17/14
I used to hide a key in the rear brake light housing of my Jeep. Just needed a Phillips head if I ever needed it. Never falls out either
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/18/14
Epoxy is too brittle, I'd use 3m 5200. It's a polyurethane marine bedding compound. It'll keep stuff stuck and no problems with vibration or moisture.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/18/14
I was told this from the locksmith that unlocked my truck:

Have a key made that won't start the vehicle, but will unlock the doors. Put the key behind your license plate. You can't see it, trust me. This way, all you need is a penny to back the screw out of the plate and you have a way to get into your car, but you can't start it. Just make sure your keys are actually in there or you won't be able to disable the alarm. Always put the key back when you remove it.

It's worked for me.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/18/14
JB Weld is your friend.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/18/14
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I was told this from the locksmith that unlocked my truck:

Have a key made that won't start the vehicle, but will unlock the doors. Put the key behind your license plate. You can't see it, trust me. This way, all you need is a penny to back the screw out of the plate and you have a way to get into your car, but you can't start it. Just make sure your keys are actually in there or you won't be able to disable the alarm. Always put the key back when you remove it.

It's worked for me.

Fine if you left your keys in your vehicle, but what happens when you take your keys with you and lose them?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/18/14
the idea is to keep a key hidden somewhere inside the cab.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/18/14
That is what I do. The 2nd set that starts the vehicle is hidden inside. The key hidden on the outside won't start the truck. Those are cheap to make and I have several for each vehicle.

Even if someone finds the outside key (highly unlikely), they can't start the truck unless they also find the interior key.
Posted By: Mossy Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/19/14
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Epoxy is too brittle, I'd use 3m 5200. It's a polyurethane marine bedding compound. It'll keep stuff stuck and no problems with vibration or moisture.

And it comes in a quick cure version.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/19/14
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
the idea is to keep a key hidden somewhere inside the cab.

Never thought of that. I never bragged about being the sharpest pencil in the pack.
Posted By: RDW Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/20/14
Originally Posted by fish head

Well, what type of adhesive do you suggest to glue the wallet to his ass? laugh
Posted By: fish head Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/20/14
Posted By: ironbender Re: adhesive/epoxy - 08/20/14
I like the key pad on the door of my Ford. Almost never take the keys out of the rig.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/13/14
Bolt one under the license plate. Most bolts are slotted and you can use a coin or pocket knife to get to it..use a stainless bolt or anti seize..just an idea....
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by ironbender
I like the key pad on the door of my Ford. Almost never take the keys out of the rig.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: rem141r Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/13/14
tie wrap and duct tape
Posted By: levrluvr Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/18/14
I'd use 3m 5200. It's a polyurethane marine bedding compound.

Sound advice from someone who lives and works in extreme weather extremes. I only buy 3M products when it comes to adhesives. They have some of the best chemical engineers in the world working for them. If you need things to stick, whether if be from tape to structural adhesive, don't buy anything other than 3M. Great products that work.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/18/14
When you go to do this think about the first 3 places you try to put it. Dont put it there. The guy who said he had to get dirty to retrieve his has the idea.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/19/14
I never take my key out, can't lose it if it there and I can break into the truck faster than unlocking it anyway.
Posted By: JPro Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/19/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Until your battery dies.....
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/19/14
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I'd use 3m 5200. It's a polyurethane marine bedding compound.

Sound advice from someone who lives and works in extreme weather extremes. I only buy 3M products when it comes to adhesives. They have some of the best chemical engineers in the world working for them. If you need things to stick, whether if be from tape to structural adhesive, don't buy anything other than 3M. Great products that work.

The only downside is you darn well better not lose your knife, as you will have to cut the key out of the bedding compound.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/20/14
I used to know a guy who always hid a key near his truck. He'd lay it on the ground by a log, put a piece of toilet paper over it, and covere it with some dirt, making sure the TP was sticking out. Nobody every bothered his key.
Posted By: 270winchester Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/20/14
A couple years ago I was parking my 1986 Toyota 4Runner and when I got out and walked around behind the rig, one of those magnetic key holders fell to the ground. It had a key in it and I had no idea it was there because I didn't put it there.

If you wire tie a key somewhere, put a piece of rubber hose over the teeth to keep it clean.
Posted By: beanflip Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/24/14
Try some E-6000
Posted By: ironbender Re: adhesive/epoxy - 11/25/14
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Until your battery dies.....

How does this happen? The key is not in the ignition.
Posted By: twofish Re: adhesive/epoxy - 12/03/14
Magnetic has worked for me your years.
© 24hourcampfire