Home
Recently involved with the private sale of this truck...

'04 250 crew cab w/6.0 PS & auto tranny & 204K miles

Clean 2nd owner.....well maintained...no damage..needs rubber

Would you be afraid of this truck & the 6.0 reputation ?

Sold for $6K........I'm a Chevy guy...that's why I ask.......

yes 4x4....
These trucks had a couple well documented problems. EGR valve got dirty and stuck. Easy delete.
Some had head gasket problems as well.
Having said that, I kept the egr clean on mine, and never had a problem, and that, with a chip, intake and 6" exhaust.
Pretty Smart Guy local here says "If they make it to 160K they'll go the distance, Trouble is most don't get there before blowin' the heads off"
There is a cure , and that is replace head bolts and carefully torque to yield, If it was mine, It would be head gaskets & bolts
Rich
they are not happy runnin back and forth to the grocery store, that's why they coke up the EGR & exhaust system.
Need to put 'em under a load , build some heat and blow 'em out
That's about what they're worth, maybe 1/3 of an equivalent GM. A friend got one just like that for his son and so far no problems. I told him to be religious about fuel filters and clean oil. But I wouldn't touch one of those things, literally, you couldn't give me one.
put in a coolant filter
clean the EGR and oil cooler
use synthetic more for cold starts

I put ~50K on a '06 6.0L (35,000-85,000) and in that time I replaced the batteries, replaced 1 exhaust back-pressure sensor, and replaced the FICM, thought I'm told that the FICM failed because I let the batteries get too bad before I replaced them. I didn't tow heavy with mine but I didn't run it in town much either.
We have two at the shop. They are in the shop as much as on the road. Put your running shoes on, the 6.0 is a pos.
They call it the 6.NO for a reason.
[Linked Image]
If ford was planning on building the least reliable engine in history, at least they could have been nice enough to make it where it didn't need the body removed to fix the common problems.....

It is a roach that sells well below market because that is what it is worth.
Shirley, you know that Ford didn't build the 6.0.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Shirley, you know that Ford didn't build the 6.0.

Nor did they build the 7.3 or 6.4 (not entirely anyhow). The 6.7 was the first all-Ford diesel they've designed and built from the ground up.
That is correct.
Pardon me, if ford was to use such a giant pile of dung....
© 24hourcampfire