Home
Posted By: Griffon Tundra problem - 08/16/15
My 2011 Tundra has developed a noise that sounds like it's coming from a rear wheel. It sounded to me somewhat like brake noise and I had it checked out and the mechanic who test drove it couldn't hear the noise and said the brakes were like "brand new". I had them rotate the tires as long as it was on the hoist. The noise is still there and sounds like it might be coming from from the right rear. It seems to be when I am making a right turn. I crawled under the truck but didn't see anything obvious. Any thoughts?
Paul
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Tundra problem - 08/16/15
If it's just on corners, you might have a problem with a spider gear in the diff.
Posted By: badger Re: Tundra problem - 08/16/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If it's just on corners, you might have a problem with a spider gear in the diff.

Or a wheel bearing going south..
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Tundra problem - 08/16/15
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Or a wheel bearing going south..

My first thought too.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Tundra problem - 08/16/15
Were the center caps off by chance when the mechanic drove it?
Posted By: Griffon Re: Tundra problem - 08/16/15
WinM,
I wasn't with him when he drove it but I think he drove it out of the lot before taking it into the shop so I don't think they were off.
Paul
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Tundra problem - 08/17/15
I had a clicking noise on a 2006 that was caused by the plastic clips on the center caps being broken. An easy thing to check and rule out.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tundra problem - 08/17/15
Posi?
Posted By: cecilb Re: Tundra problem - 08/17/15
My right rear wheel bearing went out at 80,000 miles. It squeaked for a long time before I took it in.
Posted By: Griffon Re: Tundra problem - 08/17/15
Automatic limited slip differential. This isn't really a squeak or a grinding noise...more of a rubbing sound
Posted By: Griffon Re: Tundra problem - 08/18/15
Turns out it was the inside lip of the rear rotors contacting the backing plate. Apparently not an uncommon problem. Toyota's fix is to replace bearings at $1100. The dealership ground down the lip on a lathe for $112.
Paul
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Tundra problem - 08/18/15
Thanks for the update.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Tundra problem - 08/23/15
Why not just grab and pull the backing plate? At worst you use a pry bar or screwdriver?

$112.00 to fix something that shouldn't have happened?
Posted By: walt501 Re: Tundra problem - 08/24/15
Toyota has a Technical Service Bulletin out on this problem. While the problem is not covered beyond the basic vehicle warranty, since this is a known issue with these trucks owners have used the TSB to get Toyota to pick up at least a portion of this repair.

Click Here
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Tundra problem - 08/24/15
Why wouldn't it be covered by the warranty...unless of course its so common that they'd lose money fixing them all.
© 24hourcampfire