Home
Can somebody tell me who makes some aftermarket steel wheels for these fugking things?

I just want to run stock size tires.

I haven't looked at the aftermarket, market for a long time.

Thanks,
Travis
Just google up Steel Wheels Toyota Tundra and you'll find what you need.

I found:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ase&gclid=CMOnk7vK_sgCFZJbfgodCyoHUA

Alternatively, I think the cheaper end wheels for the factory tundra's are pressed steel, not alloy. Craigslist is bound to have them for you.

I did that and found jack schit. Thus the question.

Travis
Travis, I am not much of a vehicle man.. What is the purpose of "stock" tires vs. the ones that come on the Tundra??? Not being jerk.. Vehicles are not my thing.. We have a 2012, and tires are darned expensive, I suppose this is one of the reasons for the change..

I am looking to get a new Tundra sometime this winter.. It will be my travel truck.. Maybe the last new one I get.. I am looking at the TRD and SR5 packages.. The SR5 has a 38 gallon tank.. I think that would be great, except at fill up time.. This stock tire deal maybe the way to go with it and my old one.. Which eventually will be my hunting truck.
Thanks..
I too have a Tundra CrewMax. 2012 edition.

The main reason for steel rims is that they bend instead of breaking the way alloy rims do. This makes them better for punishment and rocky off-roading where airing down is common.

Steel comes with the cost of weight though and hey can weigh twice as much as comparable aluminum wheels.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Travis, I am not much of a vehicle man.. What is the purpose of "stock" tires vs. the ones that come on the Tundra??? Not being jerk.. Vehicles are not my thing.. We have a 2012, and tires are darned expensive, I suppose this is one of the reasons for the change..

I am looking to get a new Tundra sometime this winter.. It will be my travel truck.. Maybe the last new one I get.. I am looking at the TRD and SR5 packages.. The SR5 has a 38 gallon tank.. I think that would be great, except at fill up time.. This stock tire deal maybe the way to go with it and my old one.. Which eventually will be my hunting truck.
Thanks..

I just mean that I have no desire to run oversize tires and just want OEM, but in a steel version regarding wheels.

A 38 gallon tank would be a God send on a Tundra. 20 gallons don't cut it around here...

Travis
Lots of people buy base trucks with steel wheels, upgrade to aftermarket wheels and sell the factory wheels dirt cheap on craigslist etc.

Look around, I wouldn't be surprised if someone gives you a set just to get rid of them

try these guys........great to deal with...call 'em

& ask for Tundra steel wheels........or you local tire shops

may have take offs......you're a steel wheel guy...?

who'd thunk..........

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/wheelSpecials.do
Here's another:

http://www.originalwheels.com/toyota-wheels/tundra2014rims.php
Originally Posted by rnovi
Craigslist is bound to have them for you.

dave- I know that's not what you usually look for on Craigslist, but if you do and find any in the Billings area, I'd be happy to be the pivot man. Er, I mean middle man. Well, just let me know if you need them picked up.
Here:

http://bozeman.craigslist.org/wto/5304034590.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121805...geo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171943...geo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true
Originally Posted by EZEARL

Those steel ones listed on that page would be perfect if I can get them in black.

What I really want to find is just some old style "wagon wheels" in gloss black that fit this year Tundra.

Travis

I should have been more specific.

I do not want Toyota take-offs. I want aftermarket steel wheels but I want to run factory tire sizes. Nothing bigger.

Fickle, I know.

Travis
Have you tried asking at any of the Tundra specific forums. I belong to Cherokee and Blazer forums and can tell you these forums can be a big help.

https://www.tundras.com/
Don't they have any Les Schwabs that far east in Montana?

they carry all that kind of stuff...

plus plenty of on line stores, carry the same stuff...

Direct Tire is a source that I have used... calling their 800 number and asking for their commercial division...

they have shipped me stuff that I got from them like 40% cheaper than I could purchase at their stores...
I can find used that are even warrantied but not in black. Could have them painted I reckon.
Advertise a WTB in the Free Classifieds here. I picked up a set of four factory wheels and OEM tires for my 2012 Tundra (with less than 10K miles on them) for $100 total in the free classifieds on another hunting/outdoor site.
Originally Posted by deflave

Thanks..

I just mean that I have no desire to run oversize tires and just want OEM, but in a steel version regarding wheels.

A 38 gallon tank would be a God send on a Tundra. 20 gallons don't cut it around here...

Travis

I am a recent buyer of a 2014 and am seriously considering a gas tank swap given that I am now a lazyazz retiree wanting to run my little Lance trailer and wife... My truck came with 34" diameter tires that I sooner than chitt swapped out to the OEM 275/55-20's. Anyone need a deal on the former?
Have you tried asking at any of the Tundra specific forums. I belong to Cherokee and Blazer forums and can tell you these forums can be a big help.

I try to confine myself to this forum.

I'm going to run down to the tire shop and see what they can dig up.

Thanks for your help.

Travis
GOOD LUCK to ya.
I can find used that are even warrantied but not in black. Could have them painted I reckon.

I had some wheels powder coated black about 7 years ago and liked they way they turned out. Saw the truck a couple of weeks ago and the wheels still looked good. I think it cost around $200, so not particularly cheap.
Beats a couple hundred bucks for each aftermarket mag though.

I try to confine myself to this forum.

I'm going to run down to the tire shop and see what they can dig up.

Thanks for your help.

Travis

Good luck to you. I've looked off and on for a couple years for some aftermarket steel wheels for my Tundra - no such luck. All I found were OEM take-offs, which don't fit the bill for me.

Let us know what you find out.
auto anything
Well I'll be!
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Almost all of those are for the first generation Tundra.
Only 4 choices and none are 18" or 20".
Only 4 choices and none are 18" or 20".

That's the problem I've run into when looking for steel wheels. I'd like to run my current 18" tires on steel wheels with a bit less backspacing. Apparently, such a wheel doesn't exist.
I had some stock wheels powder coated and they turned out really nice. That was 5 years ago and they still look good.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...wheelFinish=Black+Painted&tab=wheels
I like the rock crawler steel wheels. They look like Mickey Thompson classic IIs which look great on trucks and jeep. They make them an a bunch of sizes and lug patterns.

"This wheel is not available for your vehicle."

Travis
Originally Posted by duckster
I had some stock wheels powder coated and they turned out really nice. That was 5 years ago and they still look good.

I'm leaning that way.

Travis
It would be nice to get some positive offset wheels to gain clearance on frontend so that regular chain can be safely used.
Discount tire should.
I have a brand new set I took off my new 2015 Tundra. For sale. PM me. Good deal. I took them off and had custom alloy wheels put on just after I bought the new truck. BTW, these are factory steel wheels.

Hunter01
In my experience the alloy wheels leak when temperatures get really low.
I prefer steel.
As an FYI your tank is 26 gal. not 20 on the 2014 Tundra. It acts empty at 20 but has a 26.4 gal tank...
Well either way, it sucks!

I ended up buying four black spare wheels. $57.00 a pop.

Travis
agreed, haven't talked mamma into the 2016 yet... the 36 gal tank ain't enough to sway her so far... I'm working on the color argument...
1, Does the 2012's have the 26 gal tank???

We are looking to buy a 2016.. 36 gal tank only comes on the Sr5 package.. I like the TRD package because I town my trailer with my piclups..
1, Does the 2012's have the 26 gal tank???

We are looking to buy a 2016.. 36 gal tank only comes on the Sr5 package.. I like the TRD package because I town my trailer with my piclups..

My 2011 does.
Originally Posted by EdM

Thanks..

Travis

I am a recent buyer of a 2014 and am seriously considering a gas tank swap given that I am now a lazyazz retiree wanting to run my little Lance trailer and wife... My truck came with 34" diameter tires that I sooner than chitt swapped out to the OEM 275/55-20's. Anyone need a deal on the former?
Several years ago the local Toyota dealer had a great deal on a Tundra 4 door long bed. We came close to buying it but decided that we really need a 3/4 ton. I wasn't too happy about the mini-gas tank either. We ended up with a Dodge Cummins 3/4 with a 35 gal tank. That's been great on trips and for hunting. The big tank allows for a lot of options for traveling. I can get online on gasbuddy.com and find the lowest diesel prices without worrying about filling up every 250 miles. I can drive the entire width of Oregon on a tank so I can keep going until I find a cheap one.
Thanks guys.. RC Thanks for the tip on gasbuddy.com..
FIW: I've been running alloy wheels on my trucks since 1991. NEVER had ANY trouble at all with them. Leaking or otherwise. And I live in Ohio with our cold winters.
Originally Posted by hunter01
FIW: I've been running alloy wheels on my trucks since 1991. NEVER had ANY trouble at all with them. Leaking or otherwise. And I live in Ohio with our cold winters.

Lots of people don't ever have any problems with them. And lots of people do.

Travis
[Linked Image]

4 spare steelies from the junkman painted commercial gray.
$40.00 a pop.

Alloys would not hold air for [bleep]. Tire shop [bleep] with them 3 times and gave up. No problems since. Running 235-85/16's. BFGoodrich AT KO2's at present. Coopers SSTmaxx's before.
© 24hourcampfire