Home
Posted By: passport Tires, again................ - 02/03/16
Put a set of Cooper A/T3 on my Tahoe and with just over 30k on em their cooked, or dam close.

These tires have been rotated every 8k and show real even wear but they need to be replaced pretty soon. To say Im not happy with the Coopers is an understatement.

So whats next? Dont really want to spend 1k on BFG's but cant buy tires every 30k either.

Thoughts?
I use Toyo open country M/T's on my land cruiser and my 2500 duramax. They have good traction and seem to last. That sai, next time I am going to look at Goodyear Duratrac. I think they are cheaper and have heard that they work well.
Originally Posted by passport
Put a set of Cooper A/T3 on my Tahoe and with just over 30k on em their cooked, or dam close.

These tires have been rotated every 8k and show real even wear but they need to be replaced pretty soon. To say Im not happy with the Coopers is an understatement.

So whats next? Dont really want to spend 1k on BFG's but cant buy tires every 30k either.

Thoughts?

BFG all terrain KO2 is calling your name... Why not listen???
I wondered away from KO's....

I'm going back!
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tires, again................ - 02/03/16
The Firestone Destination AT's are very highly rated on

www.tirerack.com

My brother has a set on his Tundra that have done well for him. They are more reasonably priced than many and with a tread similar to the Coopers.

Coopers seem to be love em or hate em. I have 35,000 on mine and expect to get at least 15,000-20,000 more out of them. They'll be replaced next fall or winter before any snowfall. I've never had a complaint.
I think I'll get another 10k on mine but this last 10 is on really low tread depth.

Im leaning in the direction of the BFG's..
I've been happy with my KO2s. ~17k on them and still a ton of tread left.
I've had Michelins on every truck I have owned since the late '80's. Performance has been excellent, with good tire life. Would recommend them, for sure.
I bough Michelins a month ago, and they were really good in the ice an snow off road. I run on semi maintained roads and these are suited for that job. If you look at the comments on tirerack and sams club, these last well beyond 75K. I don't believe it, but that is the common theme, that these wear like iron. The ride is pretty nice and the mileage is OK, and they are not noisy. So with 2500 miles on them, they initially look good to me. Michelin ATX AT2.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A%2FT+2
Thats why I quit Coopers as well. They just seem to wear funky even with proper rotation.

I put Nitto's on my F-250. Have about 20,000 miles on them now, no complaints so far......
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Thats why I quit Coopers as well. They just seem to wear funky even with proper rotation.

Im glad someone else had this happen! Seems like I had a TON of tread like 2 months ago and now nothin.

I usually have them balance my tires at rotation and have the front end aligned once a year. To say I go out of my way to take care of my rig is an understatement.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I put Nitto's on my F-250. Have about 20,000 miles on them now, no complaints so far......

"E" rated Nitto's on my Dodge 2500 Hemi. Excellent tires. I don't put many miles on the truck, but the previous set lasted 6 years.
Originally Posted by passport

Thoughts?

I know a guy that travels three states as a salesman Georgia,TN and SC and all he uses on his Tahoe are Michelin LTX he gets around 80k rotating them regularly.
Originally Posted by Terryk
I bough Michelins a month ago, and they were really good in the ice an snow off road. I run on semi maintained roads and these are suited for that job. If you look at the comments on tirerack and sams club, these last well beyond 75K. I don't believe it, but that is the common theme, that these wear like iron. The ride is pretty nice and the mileage is OK, and they are not noisy. So with 2500 miles on them, they initially look good to me. Michelin ATX AT2.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A%2FT+2

The tacoma I just had v6 4wd wore them for 35k out of the 75k on the truck. They looked brand freaking new.

I have 20k on my 2014 Tacoma and they look like they just came off the rack.
REALLY happy with the set of KO2s I put on the F150 last fall. Hardly any noise on the highway and super in the snow and greasy two tracks in 'da UP. Far superior all around compared to the OEM Good Year ATs. Hardly any difference in the milage.

#1 rated tire in class on Tire Rack with many reviews by now.
I've had Revo's, Michelin, Firestone, BFG, and now Good Year. I haven't reached the mileage rating on any of them (Good Years still on the truck). What I will say is that I've enjoyed the ride most, both on and off road, with the current GY's I have on the truck. I've also received many compliments on the ride. They are wearing real evenly too.

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

Posted By: EdM Re: Tires, again................ - 02/04/16
In my experience you get what you pay for with tires and most things frankly. I have been running Toyo Open Country AT's for years with complete satisfaction. If mud is your game then their MT. I just had a set of AT's installed on my Tundra.
I have a 16 Tacoma with the Goodyears with Kevlar and I really like them. I believe before hunting season I am going to put a set of Firestone Destination MT's on it. We have a set of them on our farm truck and they are wearing great, have good road manners and excellent traction.
Originally Posted by remfak
I've had Revo's, Michelin, Firestone, BFG, and now Good Year. I haven't reached the mileage rating on any of them (Good Years still on the truck). What I will say is that I've enjoyed the ride most, both on and off road, with the current GY's I have on the truck. I've also received many compliments on the ride. They are wearing real evenly too.

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

Interesting chart. I can agree with 1 thing on it. Toward the bottom you'll see BFG Rugged Trail T/A's. They're not great in any category. When I bought my pickup 3 years ago, it had a new set of them installed. While I should get between 50 & 60k miles from them, they're inferior in every respect. The slick road traction is pretty poor for sure. The siping looks good but it just doesn't do the job.
I've run two sets of bfg AT's on my trucks.

Both lasted as expected for miles. However both worked poorly in the rain on pavement once they got past 25000-30000 miles something happened to the surface of the tread that made them much more slick on wet pavement.

One set was on a diesel pickup, the other was on a old 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser. When I had these tires I was living in a region that saw 80 plus inches of rain a year. This was not a good fit. In all other aspects of the tire I was pleased with them.

Because of this experience and needing new tires again I just put all new Toyo open country AT2's on my truck.
They are too new for me to provide an opinion. They do however get very high reviews across the board!
The Toyo's are about the best I have found yet. The new BFG's are having construction issues right now. I own a Tire Store and run Toyos on all my personal vehicles. smile
Posted By: tzone Re: Tires, again................ - 02/05/16
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
REALLY happy with the set of KO2s I put on the F150 last fall. Hardly any noise on the highway and super in the snow and greasy two tracks in 'da UP. Far superior all around compared to the OEM Good Year ATs. Hardly any difference in the milage.

#1 rated tire in class on Tire Rack with many reviews by now.

I put them on my 14 Ram 1500. Replacing the Goodyear Wrangler SRA's that are chit and come on every new truck I've ever had. The BFG KO2's are decent. In snow, sand, and mud they're fine. On ice and wet pavement, they're pure crap.

I also lost 1.5mpg with the BFG's. They're good tires and last fine but they're not the best one out there, that's for sure.

All the tire shops were trying to push Goodyear Duratrac's and I just can't bring myself to spend $.01 on Goodyears.
Had a set of Goodyear Silent Armour on one truck. Had 40,000 on them and they still looked good. Excellent in snow and while not silent were definitely comparatively quiet. I'd buy them again.

Bud has Destinations on his and said he will buy them again.
I've run 15 or so sets of bfg at's and decided to try the ProComp xtreme at on my high horsepower excursion.....they are grand. Price is right and compare tread depths, they had half again as much as the bfg. I'm at 27k miles now in a 9k lb rig that is always hooked to a trailer and I have a strong 10/32 tread depth on the worst tires.

I have duratracs on my duramax, they are great tread, but wear like a popsicle in the sun.
I have put over 40k miles on the Cooper AT3 and they wore quite well for that time. Still not to the wear bars when replaced at 46k. I also have run Firestone Destination A/T for over 50k and they wore even better. Maybe it is driving style? I drive like a old man.....
I used to use Cooper ATs but ended up replacing them every 2 years. My next tire was the BFG TA/KO but didn't have the best luck with them. 30,000 was about it and one set even started to break the belts. Made for a wobbly ride. Lately I have been using the Toyo MTs for summer on my 3/4 ton pick-up and Kelly TSRs for winter. Both handle well, but the Toyo is bad on packed snow and ice thus reason they're only used in the summer. Also, I have had to put the pick-up in 4 wheel with the Toyo's to get going in gravel when there is a slight rise. Didn't expect that.

Currently on our suburban we are using Firestone Destination AT and MT's. The ATs for Summer and MT's that were siped for winter. The AT's easily last the 50,000 mile warranty and the MT's just keep digging no matter what snow depth I have used them in so far.

© 24hourcampfire