Home
A friend of my wife told us about her sister who just bought one. They had only a couple thousand miles when they took it on a gravel road and blew the sidewall out of a tire. To start with, it didn't have a spare but I've heard that that's common these days. They took it to the shop for a new warranty tire and found that the stock tires are only 4 ply. Who ever heard of a 20" 4 ply tire on a truck? What a joke.
Man, I'm surprised by that. Of course I never thought 20" wheels on a truck were a good idea anyway, but to each their own.
a 1500 isn't a truck. it's a passenger car with a bed.....
It's rated for a 1500lb payload and 8 to 9000 towing depending on options. With 4 ply tires? Not this kid.
Most 1/2 ton trucks come with P-metric tires now from the factory
Originally Posted by huntsman22
a 1500 isn't a truck. it's a passenger car with a bed.....

; Especially with 20" rims
Originally Posted by ajmorell

This^^

Most have come with P tires for a long time, it's nothing new.
Looked at 1500 Eco diesel and 2500 w/cummins after rebates the 2500 won out and it's rated to pull 18,000 lbs the 2016 cummins rated at 800 ft lbs of torque get the 3500 with aisin transmission then you can tow upto 32,000 lbs
Originally Posted by 79S
Looked at 1500 Eco diesel and 2500 w/cummins after rebates the 2500 won out and it's rated to pull 18,000 lbs the 2016 cummins rated at 800 ft lbs of torque get the 3500 with aisin transmission then you can tow upto 32,000 lbs

And 900 ft/lb with the 3500/Aisan combo.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by ajmorell

This^^

Most have come with P tires for a long time, it's nothing new.

More comfortable getting groceries that away.
Heck, I put 8 ply tires on my Tacoma for that reason. Couldn't keep enough spare tires in it to keep up with the flats on gravel roads.
I put 10 ply/E's on my Frontier for the same reason. I can't understand why anyone would want 4-ply tires if they had any intentions of actually using it as a truck.
90% of the new trucks aren't intended to be used as trucks. They're for towing golf carts and hauling groceries.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
90% of the new trucks aren't intended to be used as trucks. They're for towing golf carts and hauling groceries.

90-95% of the miles I put on my truck are doing "non-truck" stuff, still wouldn't run P-rated tires on it.
The payload on some of the optioned up Eco diesels is an absolute joke. The CC Laramie longhorn 4x4 has a payload capacity of only 1,007 pounds, and that assumes 150 pound driver weight and nothing else in the truck. Four 250 pound guys going to the range with guns and ammo would most likely put that truck over max.
They come from the factory with the P tires because 1/2 ton pickups have to be included in the CAFE fuel mileage tests that the government requires. The P rated tires are a lot lighter so they give the best fuel mileage results. They're pretty useless as an actual truck tire though. It's a way to game the fuel mileage tests. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks aren't included in the CAFE tests so they put real tires on them from the factory.

I bought a 2016 toyota tundra about six months ago, at 1500 miles I pulled the stock tires off and put some E rated all terrain's on there. It knocked my fuel mileage down by about 1.5 mpg and rides rougher, but I can actually take it off road now.
© 24hourcampfire