Home
Any recommendations for a good quality, made in the US cargo carrier that can really handle 500lbs? I've looked at the cheap Chinese carriers Cabelas has and want something better.
Don't know of any US made (I think most if not all are made in China), but I have been using a HarborFreight china made carrier for the better part of 7yrs. Paint is faded but it's still solid. Best $40 I spent. I did mod (cut/weld) it so the carrier is 12" higher to aid in better departure angle. Less dragging off road. I don't know if it'll hold 500lbs now, but I usually load it with 150-250lbs 4-5 times a year.

If your vehicle is stock and no airbags or aftermarket HD springs, be ready for oncoming drivers flashing you at night.
I have the haul-Master,Sold at Harbor Freight. I am looking at it now..It is Aluminum frame, Steel Hitch Tongue,has a ramp, made for wheelchair and scooter. Rated for 500lbs.
I have a HitchMate carrier that folds 90-degrees when you don't need it. Mine is rated at 350 lbs., but I've carried over 400 lbs. of deer on mine more than a couple of times. The non-folding carriers may have a higher weight rating.

I have not yet found a carrier bag that is actually waterproof, so when we use the carrier bag, we pack clothing in plastic tote boxes and use a 6x8 plastic trap as a liner. The carrier bag that we have is wide enough to hold two 64 quart plastic tote boxes with room left to pack shoes/boots in 2.5 gallon Hefty zip-lock bags.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have a HitchMate carrier that folds 90-degrees when you don't need it. Mine is rated at 350 lbs., but I've carried over 400 lbs. of deer on mine more than a couple of times. The non-folding carriers may have a higher weight rating.

I have not yet found a carrier bag that is actually waterproof, so when we use the carrier bag, we pack clothing in plastic tote boxes and use a 6x8 plastic trap as a liner. The carrier bag that we have is wide enough to hold two 64 quart plastic tote boxes with room left to pack shoes/boots in 2.5 gallon Hefty zip-lock bags.

The mobility scooters cost new @$4k. We keep it clean and dry when loaded by use of a heavy duty grill cover, and i added grommets, and tie-down clips.
Harbor Frt has a couple sizes of elastic cargo nets. They're great for putting over a tarp to keep them in place. They work much better than bungees or tiedowns.
Originally Posted by jmsdad
Don't know of any US made (I think most if not all are made in China), but I have been using a HarborFreight china made carrier for the better part of 7yrs. Paint is faded but it's still solid. Best $40 I spent. I did mod (cut/weld) it so the carrier is 12" higher to aid in better departure angle. Less dragging off road. I don't know if it'll hold 500lbs now, but I usually load it with 150-250lbs 4-5 times a year.

If your vehicle is stock and no airbags or aftermarket HD springs, be ready for oncoming drivers flashing you at night.

Ditto!!!!
I found a made in the US carrier that I think I'm going to get. Made by Surco.
http://www.surcoinc.com/Hitch/Hitch_Baskets/Hauler_Basket_Rack.html
I got one from e-trailer that was rated at 500 lbs with free shipping. We built a box out of 5/8 marine plywood with a lid on it to fit inside the carrier for hauling stuff that I didn't want in the Durango. Painted it to match the truck and it works great for hauling gear to camp. Once at camp we remove the box and use the carrier to haul out deer.
One with a hinged support so it can be swung out of the way of the tailgate or rear door can save a lot of hassle.
Posted By: hanco Re: Hitch mounted cargo carriers - 02/23/17
I made mine
I have one i built from 2 1/2"x2 1/2"x1/4" angle iron for the platform frame with a peice of thick wall 2" square tubing that fits in the receiver hitch. I haul 2 55gallon drums (300+ lbs each) of shelled corn on it regularly.
Posted By: KLM Re: Hitch mounted cargo carriers - 05/24/17
Aluminum one from Cabela's at least10 years old and going strong. Has hauled everything from deer to household goods and never let me down.
© 24hourcampfire