Home
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
So here in Idaho, youth 10-17 can hunt both the A and B tag seasons for elk. For those who don’t know, the A tags usually give you a lot more opportunity to hunt elk (mostly antlerless) with multiple weapons, and the B tag usually gives a person a chance at a bull with a rifle.

My oldest (son) has capitalized on this a couple times in his youth but now he’s gone living his dream and guiding elk hunters in north Idaho. I usually fill the freezer with a late cow as my three daughters have been pretty busy throughout their high school years to give it a go. With only one daughter left at home and even though she’s as busy as the other two were, she agreed to me getting her an elk tag. The bull season opened a few days ago and today was the first (and likely the only) day we would get to hunt. So with a deer and an elk tag in hand we set off for our adventure before dawn.

I thought we would check an out of the way spot where I’ve bowhunted numerous elk in the past and sure enough, just as it was coming light, managed to glass up a bull headed for his bed. He wasn’t a booner by any means but good enough for my her. When I asked her what she wanted to do she said “kill that elk”. Ok, let’s go.

I’m moving a little slow as I just had my knee worked on about three weeks ago but I was game and we set off. When we got to the gate we ran into an out of state hunter. We asked him what he was after and he said deer, but his buddy had a bull tag. I asked if they had seen the same one and he confirmed they had. Not wanting to screw them up as they were there first, he conceded that it was fine for us to go after the bull. We thanked him and moved out.

We climbed up a draw north of where we last saw him and got above where I figured he probably would go. Once we hit the top, I told her we would just move slow and easy to where we could see in the draw. If we didn’t see him right away we would hunker down and glass. We must have done it right because as soon as we made it to where I wanted to glass, I immediately saw a calf bedded in the brush below us. A quick check with the binos produced the bull and five other cows bedded as well. My daughter got on the gun but the way he was laying didn’t give a chance at a shot. So I told her we would wait it out for a while as they had no idea we were there. We watched them for about two hours when one of the cows got up and started feeding for a couple minutes. When she laid back down she switched directions and was now facing us in the open. I told my daughter to hold still as she had us and to get ready cause things were about to come apart. Sure enough, the cow jumped up and bugged out over the hill. The commotion caused the bull to stand up. I asked her if she could see his shoulder to which she said “oh yeah”. I told her to bust him. A couple seconds later the .264 Win Mag roared and he dropped in his tracks. After the hugs and “good job sis” we headed down to him. She was super excited when she found he was a six point “on both sides dad”!! Not a bad little adventure and first elk. When her brother called and asked how she liked it she told him she was hooked.

The happy hunter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

upload images online
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Look at her! Great job and sincere congratulations.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Awesome job dad!

Congrats to your daughter.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Congrats to your daughter - great hunt and long lasting memories.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Great story, great pictures and a great smile! Congratulations to the hunter and dad!!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
She did good.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Oh hell yes! Great!
Posted By: Westman Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Awww, dam! That just made me feel good. Congrats!!!
Posted By: Springcove Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Outstanding. Smile says it all. Congratulations to both of you.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
That gal did it fine and obviously so has her dad. Was it tough getting it out?..mb
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Great story-congrats!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Very nice.
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That gal did it fine and obviously so has her dad. Was it tough getting it out?..mb

Not when you’ve got a string of ponies that have been living on welfare so you make them earn their keep😁
Posted By: LBP Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Congratulations to Daughter and dad great job!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Well done!

L.W.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
264 win mag! What bullet did she shoot?? We need more female hunters .
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Not when you’ve got a string of ponies that have been living on welfare so you make them earn their keep😁

Lol double the good job and a smart job too..mb
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Congrats to the young lady.
Congrats! Truly a great experience for both!

HS 58
Originally Posted by Alan_C
264 win mag! What bullet did she shoot?? We need more female hunters .

147 ELDM over a healthy dose of 8133. According to the rumors this bullet kills beyond what it’s supposed to for a match bullet.
Posted By: Deans Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Well Dad, You Did Good. A nice bull and a BIG SMILE to go with it. Congrats!!!!
Posted By: Heeler Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
That's really awesome!!! Your daughter did good (so did her guide)!
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Thanks Mbogo for the info! When I watch hunting shows on tv, I never understand why the hunters don’t talk more about the cartridge/caliber etc. Alan
Posted By: horse1 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Congratulations to the young lady.

And now, with a heavy dose of dripping sarcasm:

Holy jumpin' catfish!! Don't you know you can't kill anything while wearing blue-jeans?
Posted By: Woodsman1991 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Well done to both of you! And an excellent choice in cartridges, the classic all round "Western" hunting round.
Posted By: Phil09 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Congratulations to your daughter for a fine trophy. And thanks Dad for taking your daughter hunting.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Awesome!!
Posted By: 79S Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Nice! Reminds me of my days with my kid. No fancy camo either I love it!
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Congratulations to then both of you, her smile sums it all up.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Congratulations to the both of you!
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Two Thumbs WAY UP!
That’s an awesome story and an experience both of you will never forget. Congratulations.
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Awesome job to her and to you! Keeping the tradition alive is what its all about. Great story too!
Posted By: rong Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/20/23
Fantastic!!
Great way to start
So a little follow up:
Necropsy showed she hit him right where she was supposed to. He was downhill, quartering to us when she shot him. While we were sitting there I gave her a little anatomy lesson and shot placement depending how the critter presents itself. The bullet hit right between the left shoulder and the brisket. When we dressed him, the lungs were jelly. I was surprised that with no major bones broken he had dropped like he did, right in his tracks. And even though it wasn’t a real far shot (just under 200 yds) that ELDM is a killer.

Back at the truck.

Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/21/23
That's great! Congrats
Posted By: Brad Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/21/23
How great is that!
Posted By: TheKid Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/21/23
Awesome! Great bull.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/21/23
BIG CONGRATS to both of you. Nothing better than getting it done with your family. Memories for a lifetime right there. Good story, good pic's, good shot. Good job Dad.
Posted By: SKane Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/22/23
Outstanding!!!
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/23/23
Awesome! Great job by you and your daughter!
Posted By: pointer Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/23/23
Super!! Very well done and well told!!
Posted By: duckster Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/23/23
Congratulations and great story and write up!
Posted By: SeanD Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Congrats to your daughter and well done Dad! Awesome!
Posted By: JPro Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Heck yeah!!
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
100% awesomely impressed
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Big congrats to you and your daughter!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Good for her. Congrats.
Posted By: okie john Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Well done, both of you!

Okie John
Posted By: byd Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Just totally awesome !!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Congrats to the both of you! How Memories are made that last forever!
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/24/23
Well done by both of you.
Posted By: ARTY Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/26/23
A great story. Congratulations to your daughter!
Posted By: memtb Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/26/23
Congratulations are definitely in order! This is a memory that neither of you will ever forget! There’s nothing better than seeing your kids have a successful hunt! memtb
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/27/23
Proud moment for dad and daughter. Congrats on that "lifetime " memory.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/27/23
Good job Dad and daughter! Very neat.
Posted By: twdjr Re: Daughter’s Success - 10/29/23
Congrats to your daughter!
Memories for a lifetime!
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Daughter’s Success - 11/07/23
That's awesome, great memories
© 24hourcampfire