Home
Posted By: laker Barrel Stove - 03/18/08
Does anyone have any plans on how to make a tent stove out of a 35 gallon barrel?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Barrel Stove - 03/18/08
You can buy a vogelzang barrel stove kit. Easy to build. The best option is to find an old Sotz brand round door kit. Much superior to the cast Vz kit. I made a couple with salvaged incinerator doors also. Here is the sotz I built last year from a cutdown 15 gal drum.

[Linked Image]
I have a couple of sotz 6" chimney flanges for the 35-55 gal drums if you need one.........Don
Posted By: Hugh Re: Barrel Stove - 03/18/08
huntsmann that is a great looking stove. very nice job. says I.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Barrel Stove - 03/18/08
Many moons ago I built one out of a 30gal barrel.

First I cut about 1/3 off the barrel lengthwise and welded a 3/16 piece of plate to make a flat top. Then cut a 4" hole in the plate and formed a stove pipe and stuck it to the top. For the door I just cut out a square hole about 10"x10" and welded 1" wide 1/4" thick straps to the barrel to make a flat surface for the door to close on. The door itself was a 12"x12" 1/4" plate with hinges welded to it and the barrel frame. Then built something similar to the vent pictured above. A piece of expanded metal inside to keep the logs off the bottom, and a frame to hold it up built out of 1 1/2" angle iron. Off to the hills we went.

Upon returning from said hills very cold, I cut a 6" stove pipe hole to handle the volume of smoke.

My stove is pretty big, pretty heavy, and pretty ugly, and has never been packed in aboard horseflesh. But now with the proper size exhaust it will keep a 16'x20' tent warm all night without restoking.

Total cost was a half a Saturday and about $25.
Posted By: Elkhunter3006 Re: Barrel Stove - 03/18/08
We've been using a Vogelzang barrel stove kit for 20 years or so. Works very well. We did replace the barrel a couple of years ago. Excellent kit, you can't go wrong with this one. All the pipe stores neatly inside the barrel. Great stove for a wall tent, or cabin.
© 24hourcampfire