Home
Posted By: OJF Colorado GMU 54 - 08/17/08
We got drawn for the 1st rifle in Unit 54 and are planning on backpacking. Any suggestions that would get us away from crowds? Not looking for a trophy just a decent chance at a legal bull. 2nd time elk hunting 1st time backpacking need help.

Thanks in Advance.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/17/08
my Dad is hunting Archery that same area, I'll let you know what he comes across and how he does.
I would definitely recommend getting a topo map from the BLM, they are 4 bucks I think. the Gunnison ones are hard to come by, I tried locally a couple weeks ago.
Good luck!
shoot me a PM before you head out and I'll let you know what Dad ran into
Posted By: RickBin Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/17/08
Head to the bottom of Beaver Creek.

Helluva climb in, and helluva climb out.

But the elk will be down there.

Hope you're in shape. wink

rb
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/17/08
Rick, you can actually hike in on more level ground by following the creek. But those side hills are a $#@%^&.

OJF, if you hike more than a mile or two you will be past the crowds. 1st season is limited draw so the crowds are much less.

Do you have a map yet? Look for Beaver Creek, Mill Creek, Swampy pass or Rainbow lake. All lead to the same area (the wilderness), where the elk are.
Have you been on the Stairmaster by the way?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/17/08
Go up Ohio Creek rd, past Mill Run until you get to Swampy Pass Trail head. Take the trail to Swampy,but cut over to the south once you hit the widerness boundary along the trail that cuts across the ridge, just below the Castles. This trail goes up the canyon then to Storm Mt Pass. Just before the trail starts to climb you enter a big meadow. Cut left to the base of the meadow and cross the creek. Hunt from there to the east along those benches.
The only hunters you will see are from Tenderfoot Outfitters that have a camp at the Widerness boundary.

I have shot both bulls and cows there everytime I hunted it
Of course you may find some anywhere on the path he just described...

There are some moose up there too so not just any big brown thing...
Posted By: OJF Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/17/08
Thanks Guys
Just got topo maps, have been hiking 3 days a week with 60# pack. There are just two of us going so we want to be careful about our (hopeful) meat packing distance.

Colorado good luck to your dad any info will be greatly appreciated.

Rick Bin and Supercrewd we were looking at Mill Creek looked at Beaver Creek on the map, will look more on google earth.

Saddlesore we were excited about the Castle Creek area until we noticed that the road going in is by permit only. The route you mentioned is to far for Tennessee legs and backpacking we would like to keep camp 2 miles or less will hunt further daily.

Alot of the roads on the maps show gaits and going through private property, how do you determine what is accesible is it weather related or landowner.

Thanks again any additional information will be greatly appreciated, good luck to all this season.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/17/08
The local boys will know the intricacies of the place better than I do. BUT, I can tell you that the route I know into Beaver Creek ain't an easy one! Two guys humping an elk out of there on their backs is gonna burn a couple days, easy.

We got caught at the bottom of Beaver one afternoon and had to build a fire and spend the night. The next morning, rather than climb back out the sides (we came to our senses), we followed the creek downstream for quite a ways and managed to find an easier way out. As I recall, we made it back to camp after 2 pm!

When you factor in the elevation, the steepness, and the depth of that hellhole, it's a lot to take on with a backpack. Take a GOOD look at Google Earth!

I'm thinking you'd be way ahead to rent some ponies, if you can!
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/18/08
This is basically where Rick hiked in. It goes a lot deeper than the picture shows.

[Linked Image]

Mill Creek access is thru private property but is public land, the trail is north and east of this photo. Withing a mile you will fall down that hill into Mill Creek. Swampy pass is open to hiking and hunting. No permit necessary. The hike is not too bad (except if it is wet). Rainbow lake is another take off spot that has parking and camping.

PM me for specifics, I might sneak out and shoot some photos for you. I will also be archery hunting in 2 weeks, I was planning unit 55 but I can do a few days in 54 too.

Tenderfoot Outfitters does a drop camp for what I consider reasonable, you may wish to look up their website. Good guys.
Here is the Mill Creek entrance.

[Linked Image]
I was still not to the base of this tree when the auto timer snapped this photo. This is how deep the snow was for the elk this past year. I am over 6' tall.

[Linked Image]
Despite what the magazines say, there are big bulls on public land. These wintered on the edge of town this past winter...

[Linked Image]

There were at least 100 elk, 30-40 bulls but this fellow was the baddest of the bunch. Here is a pic of the white cow in the snowstorm...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BroncoLope Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/18/08
Hey Super,
My friends wife says she has been seeing a white bull up by CB have you heard of an albino bull up there?

Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/18/08
I agree with Supercrewd. I road in via the Mill Creek trail once.Quite a climb.It is tough country, but I found once I was back in aways,it flattened out some( a relative term though). IT definitely would not be my jumping off place.

From Swampy Pass trail head in,it is not as bad,more of a gradual climb.

You might look to the other side from the Soap Creek drainage.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/19/08
I heard there was an albino bull with this group but never did see it. I, of course, would proudly display either hide on my wall. Have not heard of the CB bull, but there is a lot of bull in CB too.
Posted By: OJF Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/19/08
Everyone
Thanks for the information since we have never been in the area, your information will be invaluable the maps only go so far in providing a feel for the steepness the pictures are awesome. We have never killed a elk, and need all the help we can get. I will post again soon work has been crazy.

Posted By: OJF Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/21/08
Supercrewd
Did you receive the PM? I'm not sure it went through.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/22/08
Nope...
Posted By: KC Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/25/08
OJF:

Saddlsore has given you good info regarding the benches between Castle Creek and Storm Ridge. There are a couple of other ways of getting to that area that are shorter than from the trailhead on Ohio Creek Road.

From the west; You can drive to the end of the Coal Creek Road and hike in from there, but there's not much room to park a pickup at the gate, so you have to figure out some kind of shuttle from the nearest parking area. That trailhead is only a couple of miles from Storm Ridge, as the crow flies, but the switchback trails make it longer, but still shorter than from the trilhead on Ohio Creek Road.

From the north; You can park in Horse Ranch Park or at the USFS Lost Lake Slough Campground. From either trailhead it's about a mile and a half, fairly gentle upward slope (for CO), trail to Beckwith Pass. Then it's another couple of miles or so south through the upland basin above Shelf Creek. That puts you right near the benches that Saddlesore mentioned.

BTW don't overlook the meadows in the basin above Shelf Creek.

Good luck

KC

Posted By: OJF Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 08/27/08
KC
Thanks for the additional routes you mentioned we will look at them on the map. We would like to keep base camp around 2 miles from the truck and then hunt further daily possibly bivy out. So we might be able to camp around Beckwith Pass and then hunt from there.

KC Thanks again
Posted By: KC Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 09/02/08
OJF:

I checked maps too and realized that I made a mistake. It's not Shelf Creek, it's Cliff Creek. The basin above Cliff Creek is a good place for a base camp about 2 1/2 miles from trailheads.

KC
Posted By: OJF Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 09/04/08
KC
Thanks for the info we are still looking at the maps and google earth and I have called the DOW checking on gate closures and access points. We are not sure where we are going to leave the truck. But we are still exercising and trying to get ready. The terrain looks to be really steep and rough, need to increase the cardio.

Posted By: Larry in Colorado Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 09/23/08
Just got back from unit 54. No bugling at all last week. Shot at a bull and missed; passed on two small legal bulls. Where I hunt (Soap Creek), the elk numbers seem to be down...or they were hanging out on private land all week.
Posted By: OJF Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 09/23/08
Larry in Colorado
Thanks for the info maybe they will be bugling when we get there.
I called the Game Warden a couple of weeks ago and he said Soap Creek road was closed due to fire and some other roads as well. We were looking at going to the end of Soap Creek road and going back in there. But after talking to him we decided to go in the Beaver Creek area.
Do you know if the fire is still burning and did you go to the end of the road?

Posted By: OJF Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 09/26/08
Larry
Thanks for the info called the Forest Service they said the road had been opened back up as the fire was being contained.

Posted By: Duckdog28 Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 11/13/09
In doing some research for next yr, I came across this year-old post.

KC, arent the places you mentioned near beckwith pass in unit 53 rather than 54? Its hard for me to tell by looking at my map.

Thanks
Posted By: KC Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 11/15/09

Duckdog28:

The headwaters of Castle Creek area is in unit 54 and it always holds elk. It's way back in there and for all practicle purposes, only accessible for hunting using horses.

I'm busted. You've done your research well. Yes, the upper basin of Cliff Creek is in area 53. It's another area that holds elk but the backpack is shorter. However, you still need a young strong back and several days, or horses, to pack out an elk.

The main problem with these areas is that there's no horse rentals offered in Crested Butte. So you have to have your own horses or trailer them a long way.

KC

Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 11/16/09
Been there ,done that.It is a 3 hr pack to the head waters of Castle Creek.In fact that trip a few years ago caused me to reflect that I am too old for such nonsense.It took me three trips to get gear, food ,etc into the area, three trips to gstout with elk, and camp/gear.
Posted By: Duckdog28 Re: Colorado GMU 54 - 11/17/09
Thanks for the replies. Probably more than I want to tackle this year as I do not have horses of my own.

I assume the areas in 53/54 with easier(shorter hikes) are overrun with orange?

Good luck fellas.
© 24hourcampfire