Home
Let's see them!

Include some specs if you feel so inclined!

[Linked Image]

Remington Model Seven XCR, 300 WSM, Leupold Bases and Rings, Leupold VX-III 3.5-10, The Claw Sling
[Linked Image]
Tang safety Ruger. 7 Mag, 23" Stainless by Pacnor, Banser bedded by Micky Coleman, paint by Rick Bin
[Linked Image]
My primary carry-338-06 700 ADL, 23" Lilja, Banser Stock bedded by Perry Middlestat, Paint by Rick Bin
[Linked Image]
A little jewell I purchased here on the fire from Muley Stalker
338-08 AI, Mcmillan stock, CM Barrel by ? and painted by Rick,
An honest 1/2" MOA rifle on my good days
And last, the most damn lucky rifle I have ever seen, My Grandsons 700BDL 338-06. Somehow this rifle finds an Elk every year.
It's really starting to get to me.
[Linked Image]
22" #4Shilen, Shilen trigger @ 2.5 lbs, built by High Country Gunsmiths, Longmont Co, McMillan bedded by Perry Middlestat, paint by Rick ( painted as requested, not Ricks fault grin)
Husky H-5000 7mm Rem Mag, bedded action, floated barrel, stock shortened to 13 3/4" LOP, Decelerator, iron sights cleaned off of the barrel. Burris Sig. select 3-12x44 BP w/posi-lock

[Linked Image]
My M70 in 300 WBY

[Linked Image]
some fine looking rifles you men have.

as for my elk rifle, picture in your mind a ruger mk2, wood/blue, 30-06, with a 3x9x40 leupy and 180gr partition handloads.

this is a great thread - sure hope more folks post pics.
Mine isn't an ELK rifle by most definitions, but it is my favorite rifle and I've shot 2 elk with it. So therefore it is an elk rifle sometimes.
It's a blueprinted Rem 700 .264 Win Mag 27" Lilja #3 stainless barrel, maple stock in the Gary Goudy classic by Great American, I finished it with Laurel Mountain Forge Honey Maple stain which I diluted 80% with denatured alcohol, then 2 coats of sealer, and lots of Permalyn finish. Glass bedded, teflon coated.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And dang Tracks,
Lot of slight variations on the same thing. I guess you know what you like.
looks like an elk rifle to me.

i like it
My 300 Winchester Magnum
P/F Win model 70 26 inch RKS Gain Twist barrel
Last elk was killed with 150gr Power Points.Load 150gr E Tips now. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by exbiologist
And dang Tracks,
Lot of slight variations on the same thing. I guess you know what you like.

That's only half the .338 shooters. I don't buy many kinds of bullets. grin
These two should be going elk hunting with me this fall.

1. Rem 700 BDL/SS in 338WM as it came from the factory. Bedded into a LSS mountain rifle stock. Leupy DD rings/mounts and a Leupy VX-III 2.5-8x36. 9 pounds even all loaded up including sling. It likes 225gr Nosler Partitions at 2850fps MV.
[Linked Image]

2. Rem 600 in 338Fed. Bedded into a McSwirly mountain rifle stock w/ ADL triggerguard. 21" Douglas #2 barrel. Talley mounts and now has a Zeiss Diavari C 3-9x36. 7 pounds, 3 ounces all loaded up including sling. It likes Hornady 200gr SPs at 2550fps MV.
[Linked Image]

RH
Kimber montana .260

[Linked Image]
Heavy weight long range rig..30/378 Weatherby
[Linked Image]
Light weight rig.. Remington 700 TI in .308
[Linked Image]
Weatherby Vanguard 300 WM, Pacific Research stock, Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x40 with Burris Signature rings and bases, and a Harris bipod.

So far, two bulls to its credit, one shot each.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gotta go low-budget here with a factory built 700 ADL in 7mm Rem mag topped by a 3-9x Leupold and sending 175 gr Nosler Partitions downrange at 2900+ fps... Okay, a trigger job was done... smile

Sometimes I think we dote too much on the rifles and don't necessarily pay enough attention to the hunting.
Remington 700 LVSF in 7-08AI
McMillan Stock/Callahan Bolt Shroud
Leupold T2 3-9x40 LR Duplex
140gr TSX is its bread and butter....

[Linked Image]
700 CDL .30-'06, flinging 165 grain Hornady BTSP's or Interbonds. Zeiss 3-9 x 40 in Leupold Dual Dovetails.

[img][IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/115_1571.jpg[/img][/img]
338-06AI on a pre-64 action and Shilen barrel. Then bubba'd into a featherweight stock.

Before and after a face lift. It also seems to work pretty well on bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My favorite round & cartridge is my .375 right here.

[Linked Image]

One day out shooting (yes my daughter has to shoot left handed). She nailed a clay pigeon set up @ about 60 yards with her first shot with it.

[Linked Image]
GuyM,
If I didn't know better I would bet that pack horse you are using is a mustang mare I used to own.
That's easy! It's the one that finally put some elks in my freezer. Kimber Montana, .325 WSM, Leupold 2.5x8 in Talleys:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine's so common that it's not worth the time to post a photo - Savage model 11 with a Bushnell 3200 3-9 scope. Black composite stock, accu-trigger, 300 WSM. Nothing fancy about this one but it's a SHOOTER. Since I bought it, it's accounted for 2 elk & 2 deer, no survivors.
I've never been on an elk hunt, but if I was to go some day, I'd carry and hunt with my Model 70 300 Ultra Mag shooting Barnes 168-grain TTSX bullets.

Bambistew,

That rifle of yours looks damn near identical to one that I had seen for sale up here in Alaska at some local gun shop about a year or two ago. Chambered for the same cartridge as well. Had a good price tag on it, too. I'm still wishing to this day that I would have bought that rifle.
My 2 favorites, both built by our own Redneck here at the Fire.
SS LH Winchester M70 30-06
McMillan Edge stock
Pac Nor 3 groove barrel, Win. fwt contour
Leupy 6X36 with LRD
[Linked Image]

SS LH Winchester M70 in 7X57
McMillan Edge stock
Pac Nor barrel- Win. fwt contour
Talley Lwt rings
Leupy 6X36 with LRD
[Linked Image]
Twins. grin
I'll play...

[Linked Image]

If I had to pick one it would have to be my M70 Stainless Classic in .338 Win. Mag. It's killed quite a number of elk.

Second would be my push feed M70 in .30-06. It was my first rifle and I killed many elk with that prior to "realizing" that I was undergunned! wink

Test
i'll go ahead and add some more.
this was a bone stock winchester model 70 classic laminated 300 wsm with a luppy 3.5-10. shot my first bull at 402 yards from one side of the mountain to the other with it.
it now wears a 6x36 luppy in tally lightweights, and sits in a mcmillan edge stock.

[Linked Image]

and ole ugly me with a 280ai i had benchmark barrels build me last year.
it shoots great and handles real well.
[Linked Image]
but i also love a ruger mark II in 338 wm. i did get off a few shots 3 years ago with her, but bad angle, tooth infection going with a swelled face, you know , excuses, excuses.....
[Linked Image]

i could add a few more, but i hold back for another day...
Originally Posted by Bambistew
338-06AI on a pre-64 action and Shilen barrel. Then bubba'd into a featherweight stock.

Before and after a face lift. It also seems to work pretty well on bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Luv it!
Nice looking Ruger.
It will likly become my Alaskan 'moose' rifle in a few months.

I have a bunch of elk rifles, but that one seems to jump to the front of the line everytime I open the closet. Something about the Winchecher stamp on the side, and the blue/wood that says I was built to hunt elk.

My other go-to is a stock rem SS BDL in 7 rem mag. But to me its just a tool, with nothing pretty about it, the 338-06 has class.
Mod 70 MCM Stock Bin-job paint 7mm WSM w/120 TSX & VXII 2-7x

[Linked Image]
Heres mine, CDL 35 Whelen, trigger job, barrel floated and bedded. Shoots the TSX's really well. [Linked Image]
A buddy has a 25-06/CDL. Good lookin' rifles IMO.
Rebored Sako .243 to .358 win. Nosler .225, Leupold 2x7.
Friendly to carry, friendly to shoot, hell on critters.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Kimber montana .260

[Linked Image]

how much for this rifle

how much for this rifle
good looking rifle price??
The kimber 84m montana's run $1029 at Gander

Up to this year my all around rifle was a Browning A-Bolt 7mm WSM with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x50 shooting 160 grain Winchester Accubonds. Now this will be for deer sized game and smaller only.
[Linked Image]

My new Elk sized and larger game rifle is a Browning X-Bolt 325 WSM with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50 shooting 200 grain Winchester Accubonds.
[Linked Image]
TIKKA T3 Hunter 6.5x55 Swede Norma 140gr. Nosler Partition
Someone had to show a .270WSM for fairness sake grin
[img][IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/Damariscotta/678_7886.jpg[/img][/img]

Winchester Model 70 SS - cerakoted, blueprinted action, bansner stock (forest green w/black webbing), 3-10X swarovski, 140 grain tsx bullet.
Last year was my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 BC reticle scope shooting 140gr Accubond reloads. I'm really impressed with the performance of the 270WSM with the 140gr AB's.

[Linked Image]
And yes it was cold in mid December 2008....-33 degrees Celcius.

Prior years was my Sako m75ss 300WM with 180gr Accubonds reloads. Use to shoot factory WS Partiton Golds and then Accubondsprior to reloads in 2005. Factory barrel fluted, barrel polished with flutes teflon coated I bought new in 1997-98 and had the fluting done too.
[Linked Image]

I guess it will have to wait till this hunting season for a big bull, I really wanted to use my Sako m75 Greywolf 338-06AI I had built with new PacNor #5 barrel fluted and powdercoated by my gunsmith on my cow elk in 2008 but the reloads were not done yet. Plan on 225gr Accubonds or 225gr TTSX's. Has a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 scope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sweet pics/rifles everyone.

I don't have a good pic of my rifle, but it's a Rem 700 CDL 35 Whelen. Only modification is a trigger job. It wears a Leupy VXIII 1.75-6x36.
[Linked Image]
Waders, the 35 Whelen and Elk just seem to go together!
This one's got a few notches on it's stock.. I actually retired it this year, all except the action. New and improved version will be ready in a few months. This is a 300 RUM Remington AWR.

[Linked Image]
Nice bull!

What's the replacement scope?
McEdge stock?
Same scope but sending in this week for an elevation turret.
McMagnum sporter, 2 colors, OD green and tan.
27.5" lilja #5 with flutes
shilen trigger, and some other parts to lighten/improve elsewhere, shroud, bottom metal, tally LW mounts, etc.

Will weigh 3/4 lb more than that AWR

Overkill, I know, but I'll like it.
Right on.

You're not messing around with the barrel!
Geez guys you gotta resize some of your pictures..........
Hello,

One of the pictures I have with a Red Deer (almost an Elk...) in the fall in Western Argentine Patagonia. And with my favorite Big Deer Rifle, a .375 H&H Winchester 70 Pre-54 (1954) . Then with a Schmidt & Bender 1 1/4 - 4 X . Now it wears a Zeiss Victory 1,5-6x.

PH

Attached picture 12466-CiervoAbrilre.jpg
My favorite Elk rifle is a Sako 75 SS in 338 Winchester, I have a 3x to 9x Ziess on it. Been shooting this one since I bought it in 1997. Collected a lot of Moose in Alaska with it and a few Elk along the way. My other favorite is a Blaser R-93 in 7mm Remington Mag. Had it three seasons, and two elk and a bunch of white tails.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Geez guys you gotta resize some of your pictures..........

No, not "guys"... Mighty Peace is the culprit laugh

Definitely obnoxiously large...
Remington 700 Alaskan Ti, .280 Rem., 150g TSX @ 2900fps, Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x40

[Linked Image]

I like hunting Elk with this in my hands.
338-06 7#-10 oz. # 3 Shilen cut at 23"

[Linked Image]
My favorite Elk rifle was also my first centerfire rifle. It started as a Herter's U-9 barreled action in .30-06 and a Herter's semi-finished stock. It was also the first stock that I fitted, finished and checkered. I took 7 or 8 elk with it before I had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. As a .30 Gibbs, I shot another 21 elk, 2 shiras moose, a mountain goat, an Alaskan caribou, and a fair size pile of mule deer and pronghorn antelope. That was my favorite rifle for about 30 years. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A couple of years ago, I had some problems fire-forming cases for the Gibbs, so I built myself a new elk rifle. It's a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby that I stocked on a AA Fancy Claro walnut semi-finshed stock from Richards Microfit. I just finished checkering it this winter. It's pillar and glass bedded with a free floated barrel, KDF muzzle brake, mercury recoil reducer in the stock, Limbsaver pad, polished trigger, and a Leupold 4-12x scope. It shoots 3/4" groups with 180 gr Barnes TSX's at 3160 fps. This is my new favorite elk rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sorry guys, I forgot a couple pics were large. Next Time
Here is the Bull i shot this last Sept 2008. I did not have a photo of him with the rifle so included the rifle in a photo with my Kudu Bull. It is a Kimber Montana in .300WSM with a Nightforce scope. I shoot hand loaded 180 grain TSX bullets. This is one deadly rig. [img][IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/wjbarks/IMG_2741.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/wjbarks/IMG_1928.jpg[/img][/img]
I no longer own my "favorite" elk rifle... here it is, M70 30-06 Fwt, 21" bbl., NECG/XS sights:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Current Elk rifle which would be a favorite if it were a 30-06 rather than a 308:

[Linked Image]

Yeah, Kimber would have a nice gun, if they would just extend the action on the 84M.
30-06, 270, 25-06.
I think they would sell. I know I would buy one or two. Just for fun.
Take Care..

I think, I have said this before.

Brad, nice Bull
Welcome to the Fire!

Hmm, a NF on a Montana, now that's a Dolly scope... grin

Dober
Remington 700 BDL Long Action custom 26" barrel w/Muzzle Break in 300 Wea. Mag Stock is fully inleted Left Handed Bishop Thumbhole, It has a Zeiss 40mm one inch Tube 3x9 Scope mounted with Leopold Bases & Rings and sling is a Safari Sling.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by buffybr

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle!
Love that rifle and that pic of your elk with it Brad......man oh man. Thats the stuff dreams are made of!!!
It's a tough choice between the 30*06 synthetic Rem 700 w/Kreiger 23",sako ext, Leupold 3-9 compact SS and the FN .35 Whelen w/ NJ Black Walnut, shilen 25", high polished. I'll post the Whelen because the '06 was airbrushed camo and the whelen is a bueaty to look at. Both rifles make elk sick with any good bullet to any sane range.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Brad,
I never get tired of seeing that bull! So, since you sold the 300 WSM, is another fwt. 30-06 in the works?
Brad,

Nice picture.

The mountains behind your rifle, the east side of Sacagawea and Hardscrabble Peaks above Fairy Lake in the north Bridgers?
Mine's a .50 caliber:

[Linked Image]
I can't show you mine cause I aint got it yet.
I haven't got a pic of it with game yet in the new stock, but it's a M70 classic stainless with a Pac-Nor 358 Norma barrel in a standard fill Legend stock. 225 TSX's at 2950 fps. Works for me...

[Linked Image]
This year I was shooting my custom HOWA action, 7 MM Rem Mag., Shooting factory Federal 175 grain SP bullet. I found the bullet lodged just under the skin of the off side. It was a perfect mushroom.

[Linked Image]

My 2009 Bull elk... (5x3)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just took my "new" elk rifle out this morning for a test drive. It is a CZ 550 Safari in 375H&H. I was a little bit worried about recoil but it was a kitten. Just about the same as this 7 MM Rem mag. Gonna be ahrd to carry them both! laugh
I've got a heavy stainless laminated .338 M70 and a 7lb .300WSM M70, but this is my favorite elk "rifle":

[Linked Image]
SteveO,

Sweet bow. Is that a Super Shrew? Sweet bull too! Is that a MI elk? Man, I been tryin' for one of those tags since they started with it. My neighbor drew on his first attempt!

-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/TEVANS/yardbull1.jpg[/img]

custom 270 win built on rem ti action and Lilja #3 barrel
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/TEVANS/rangefinder.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/TEVANS/PICT0063.jpg[/img]

Poot thanks for the pictures.
Poot,
Great pic's! Nice to have you back here!
It's good to be back. There are so many good folks here at the fire, I feel like I never left!!

Regards,

Ted
Red,

Yes, SS Chameleon t/d.

AZ elk. I stopped putting in for Michigan when I started hunting out west...it is NOT the same.

Poot--that is my favorite; I am working on a .270 Ti right now.
Plain jane model 70 338...250 grain partitions always impress the elk...trailing usually isnt a problem, and wouldnt be even for stevie wonder.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, no matter how you look at it, 338 is good Elk medicine.
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Plain jane model 70 338...250 grain partitions always impress the elk...trailing usually isnt a problem, and wouldnt be even for stevie wonder.

[Linked Image]

Wow, what a pic! That has to have quite the story with it!
Dang, very cool picture, looks kind a like blood filled paintballs hit the rock.
Really not much of a story.

I was working in Montana, missed the first couple days of the Wyoming elk season that year. I got off work at 5 pm...drove until 3:00 am. Caught a quick nap, took off hiking a couple hours later.

I jumped one decent bull close...couldnt get a shot. Continued to hunt the timber and found this bull standing at about 50 yards. I slapped him with a 250 grain partition tight behind the shoulder...he ran about as far as the shot. I heard him crash, but followed the blood trail just because I always do. Noticed the rock he ran by and snapped a quick picture.

Textbook, run-of-the-mill elk hunt really...and an average bull:

[Linked Image]

Those are some great looking elk! You make it look easy!
Well done.

Well now since we are setting up pictures, guess I'll have to rag out a few later, camera went on strike and it's one of those UAW specials. LOL

My elk rifles are model 70 Winchesters! I like to take along at least 2 rifles and sometimes 3 rifles depending on the area. #1 is a model 70 Winchester stainless .338 mag, uses 250 grain Nosler partitions. #2 is a model 70 Winchester stainless in .338 Ultra mag, uses 225 grain Nosler Accubonds. #3 is a model 70 Winchdester in .338/06 a back up rifle weighs 6.6 lbs Nosler Accubonds 200 grain.
Very cool! Thanks for the story behind the pic.
well, time to show a few more....

carried this one more than any of the others. carries well and doesn't weigh a whole lot.
a 1978 remington 700 adl in 30-06 with a zeiss 3-9. it really likes 180 grain nosler partitions.
[Linked Image]
2 years ago, shot a cow elk at 753 yards with this one.
a remington 700 in 300 rum with a luppy 6-18 with varmint dots.
[Linked Image]
a winchester classic in 300 wsm with a luppy 6x. my friend from england who flies over to hunt uses this one. took my first bull elk with it 5 years ago.
[Linked Image]
a custom 300 wsm on a winchester action and a lilja 3 groove. it wears a luppy 3.5-10 and a turret. extremly accurate.
[Linked Image]
and i wasn't going to put this one together just for a pic.
this is for when i really am feeling lazy and don't want to go far from the truck and play overwatch ! a barrett 99 with a luppy 6.5-20x50 30mm.
[Linked Image]

so now i feel like a show off. but, these are a few of my favorite things... there's more, but like i said in my 1st post, i'll save more for later....

i like the adl 30-06. it's all about "character".
Splatter, who stole the fire control group and bolt from your M99?
I recently got this in anticipation for elk hunting next year.
[Linked Image]
Weatherby Vanguard 300 WBy Mag., Burris Fullfield II, Talley Lightweights can shoot a ragged hole with my handloads.
Here's my favorite elk swatter and it's best harvest to date, a 6x7 taken while bedded in timber across a draw at 400 yards. It's Remington 700 Custom KS-SS Mountain Rifle in .300 RUM, 26" bbl with slim-brake, Leupold VX-III 2.5x-8x with Dave Gentry rings/bases, 8 lbs slung and loaded. She was pressed into service in 2000.

[img] http://content.glidesociety.com/image.aspx?id=ac044184-ca19-45ef-83e7-5563724ef4e5 [/img]

We were hunting self-guided from an outfitter friend's remote camp around 8500' elevation on public land. 1.5 hours out of camp, I was slowly walking along the broken timber edge just below a ridgeline. I kept getting a gut feeling that something was in the thick north-slope timber in the valley to my left. As a raven flew over me, I followed it with my eyes until I suddenly saw a tiny patch of "wrong" color in a small opening between the trees. Before I even raised my binoculars, I knew...

5 minutes after the shot, my hunting buddy 3/4 mile away up a connecting drainage took a good 5x6 that apparently was roused from its bed after my shot. He fell to a single shot from my buddy's .340 Wby. If not for his strangely deformed right beam, he'd have been a nice 6x6.

(I hope this works...it's my first post here)
bulltail thats a nice bull, congrats!
Yep, heck of a bull!

Nice Bull. wink
Thanks all.

Great news: I just checked the Montana FWP website, and my group was successful in the non-resident big game combo drawing! I guess those 2 preference points finally helped.
This is brand new, haven't hunted with it yet, but it has potential to become a favorite. Was shooting into an inch within the first 10 rounds using factory fodder....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

338 WM.
thats to purdy to hunt with!
Nice! Is that a Kimber Classic Select Grade?
Yes it is. First one I've owned and I like it so far. Right out of the box I was surprised by the trigger, crisp and I'd bet under 3 lbs. Pillars and a nice job bedding the action also. Fit and finish is very good. I don't own a lot of walnut stocks but for this rifle, I made an exception.
That is a very lice looking rifle.

I handled my first Kimber rifle yesterday. It was a Montana and I was very impressed with the smoothness of the trigger and action.
Nice to see a few folks carry some wood out there. I still have some units I've not tried yet, so I will likely not have a favorite for another 6 or 7 seasons. 1Minute
Havent bloodied it yet but thinking this will be my new favorite elk and bear blaster. It shows alot of potential and so far it is shooting 1" groups with the 210 TSX and 225 accubonds with starting load work. It recently returned from the smiths having the trigger lightened, Lugs lapped, action squared etc.

Rem 700 SS 338 RUM
HS precision stock with aluminum pillars & bedding block
HS precision DBM bottom metal
Timney trigger set at 2.5#'s
Leica 3-10x42 with 30 MM tube and BC flip ups

[Linked Image]

These are my two main elk rifles.
A Rem. 700 in 7 mag,in a clasic stock, with a leupold 4.5x14x40 with M-1's on top
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/elkhunter/100_2357.jpg[/img][/img]
A REM 700 in 300 RUM toped with a Shepard P-1A
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/elkhunter/setup.jpg[/img][/img]
Last bull I killed was with this rifle:

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 .300 H&H
Factory 180gr Silvertips
Weaver KV 2.75-5x variable

[Linked Image]
GreatWaputi
that is on CLASSY looking elk rifle!!
NO doubt!
ooops, double post!
Thanks, guys. My father-in-law gave it to me a few a years ago with his only stipulation being that I use it and not let it sit in the safe like he did. So far it's got three elk, a muley buck, and a Shiras bull under it's belt.
i like the period correct scope on it also. "they dont makem like that anymore"
Well I haven't killed any elk with these rifles yet, but they are all ones that I'd own that I will hunt elk with. I killed my first elk with a borrowed .30-06 and the next 4 with my .270 Win Parker Hale 1200, don't have a pick of that rifle. I've hunted elk with the .338-06 but didn't connect that year. Last year I took my .30-06 M700 ADL synthetic, but traded that rifle for the Savage 99A .358 Win. So here is what I have My elk hunting Rifles! I'd love to take an elk with the .30-40 and 220 grain RN bullet.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Last bull I killed was with this rifle:

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 .300 H&H
Factory 180gr Silvertips
Weaver KV 2.75-5x variable

[Linked Image]

I like that.

I like it a lot.

I've got one of those scopes sitting on a .22 of mine. I rarely use it. Are they any good? Are they worth anything?
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

A Husqvarna Crown Grade 30-06. This rifle was the first major purchase my folks made after they were married. They were living outside Prince George British Columbia in 1958 when my mom sent dad to town to get a new vacuum cleaner. He came back with this instead. My mom still gives him grief about that. My old man used it on moose mostly. When I was 18 my dad retired from hunting and passed it on to me. I hunted elk from the mid 70's until a few years ago almost exclusively with this rifle. It has accounted for at least 12 Montana bulls, a couple of cows, as well as deer and one Yukon dall ram. In a couple of years, I'll pass it on to my son.
Originally Posted by mw406
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

A Husqvarna Crown Grade 30-06. This rifle was the first major purchase my folks made after they were married. They were living outside Prince George British Columbia in 1958 when my mom sent dad to town to get a new vacuum cleaner. He came back with this instead. My mom still gives him grief about that. My old man used it on moose mostly. When I was 18 my dad retired from hunting and passed it on to me. I hunted elk from the mid 70's until a few years ago almost exclusively with this rifle. It has accounted for at least 12 Montana bulls, a couple of cows, as well as deer and one Yukon dall ram. In a couple of years, I'll pass it on to my son.

your dad had good taste in rifles,or bad taste for vacumes!im sure your son will enoy it, when it becomes his.
mw406 - now that is a fine looking hunting rifle, a rifle that truly has "character". i'm sure your son (perhaps in his later years or perhaps immediately) will recognize the rifle for what it really is - a family heirloom that still gets it done. thanks.
like the others said, very cool rifle, very cool story.

nice bull too!!
I and my Army buddy like our sako 75's in 300 win. mag.
He has the standard and mines a finnlight. We've tagged our fair share with these weapons.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
well, not much to show. Off the shelf rem 700 stailess synthetic 338 rum wearing leupold 3.5-10x40. Actually the trigger is pretty darn good. I had planned on a trigger job and decided not to do it. Ran 225 Accubonds through it for my first elk last year, but plan on running 210 Scirroccos or 250 A frames this year.
Picture is not worth it, since everyone in the world knows what a black and silver rem 700 looks like.
© 24hourcampfire