Home
Posted By: 300MAG Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/25/09
Well after $13,477.92 worth of premium factory ammo (I know I need to learn to handload), the Federal Fusion shoots the best out of my 300 Win Mag.

I am leaving in less than 2 weeks for my very first elk hunt in Colorado. I've been shooting all summer & the final verdict is that the Fusion is a tack driver out of my rifle - it shoots great at 100 yds and 200 yds.

Is this bullet ttough enough to hunt elk with??
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/25/09
I met the Federal rep in Great Falls MT. I asked that question. The Fusion is designed as a deer bullet, but it is bonded, so it holds together fairly well.

The Federal rep advised that he would not use the Fusion for elk. In an ideal world, it works quite well (broadside shot behind shoulder), but it should not be relied on as an all purpose deep penetrating elk bullet. The rep advised to use the PArtition or Accubond, TSX etc.

If you are prepared to limit your shots, waiting for the ideal, you will likely be good. However, if you are on limited time, and you only get the quartering shot, you may be disappointed with the results.

I know small groups are great for our confidence, but you don't need 1/2" or even 1" groups for elk. If I were going for elk and the Federal Premium partition or TSX shot 1.5-2" groups, I would take that.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/25/09
The Federal Premium Partitions do not shoot for [bleep] at 200 yds outta my rifle - the groups are absolutley terrible!!

I have been working with Superior Ammo on a load in the TSX for my 300 Win Mag. They're shooting well at 100 & 200 yds, but the damn Fusion is shooting bugholes all the way to 200 yds.

I will most likely be hunting with the Superior Ammo TSX load, but thought I'd ask beacause of the great accuracy I'm getting out of the Fusion.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/25/09
You didn't say what cartridge your rifle is chambered for.

First the disclaimer: I don't shoot Fusions and have no plans to do so. Second, as AB2506 pointed out, elk are big animals and you don't need sub-moa accuracy to kill one.

That said, if your rifle is chambered for a 7mm or larger, it is likely that the Fusions in the heavier or heaviest weight range would be adequate for elk; i.e., 175s in 7mms, 200s in .30s, etc. Generally bullets are designed with the expectation that those in the heavier end of the spectrum are going to be used on bigger critters.

If you are trophy hunting and are going to take any shot that presents itself, the Fusion is probably not going to be your first choice. If you are looking for a decent bull or a dry cow and are willing to pass up low percentage shots, the heavier weights in a given caliber will probably do the job just fine.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/25/09
Mudhen,

I did mention it in my first post - I'm shooting a 300 Win Mag.

Like I said, I'll hunt with the Superior Ammo TSX load in 180 grains.
300MAG -
Tuck a Fusion behind the shoulder and get your knife out...
If you have any questions about the Fusion bullet on elk, search for a thread here regaing a 338 Federal on elk. If I find the link I will post it.

Bottom line is that the bullet will work just fine on kill-zone shots, the only ones to take.

Here it is:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3138764/1
The .338 Federal is not the .300 Winchester. Just about any bullet works very well at .338 Federal velocities. That is one of the cartridge's virtues.

The Fusion is a fine bullet but at high impact velocities it can spread out wide and not penetrate all that far. It would be fine for broadside shots on elk, but would not be my first choice for any quartering shot, especially at close range or at the shoulder.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/26/09
Thanks for everyones input - its much appreciated!!

I'll stick with the Superior Ammo TSX load. I guess an elk will not know the differnce between bugholes and 3/4" MOA.
Posted By: magnumb Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/26/09
Last year one of our elk camp fellas put a spike elk down with a 180gr. Fusion out of his 300WSM @ about 80 yds. It was a double lunger (hit one rib) and the bullet was recovered under the offside hair.

It retained perhaps 1/2 it's original weight, but was pretty mangled. It worked, but wouldn't be my first choice either. This fella makes many choices based on $ considerations as opposed to what likely will work best. Sure, dead elk, but a 10 day elk hunt with very limited opportunities to score, is not the time to think about saving $.......IMHO.
Posted By: KC Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/26/09

300MAG:

I have seen just the opposite performance out of my '06. The groups are terrible using Fusion ammo and great using Nosler Partitions or Sierra Game Kings. I suppose that each barrel is unique and therefore exibits unique performance for different bullets.

KC

Posted By: bea175 Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/26/09
Yes any bullet will kill Elk if you shoot them in the lungs and if you don't regardless of bullet the Elk will go like the Eveready Bunny on and on. The Fusion will work great if you do your part.
KC,

I was surprised the Partitions didn't shoot, but each rifle is different & they always don't like ammo that your other rifle does.

We are hunting out your way - flying into Colorado Springs & hunting near Cripple Creek. I am fired up - this is my very first elk hunt!!!
I would shoot what is most accurate in your rifle at 200 - 300 yards. The fusions are better in my 7MM over anything I tried, I beleive they are not quite as hotly loaded as some more expensive loads. Last year I killed a nice buck at over 400 yds. using Fusion 150gr - accuracy is way more important than the bullet type for me.
Posted By: eyeguy Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/26/09
Shhot the barnes as elk seem to give the broadside standing still shot almost never on a public land hunt. Good luck. Dean
Posted By: KC Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/26/09

300MAG:

Are you going to be on private land? Since it's close to home, I've hiked, camped and backpacked all over Pikes Peak and the elk always seem to avoid public land. It seems more pronounced here than in other areas, maybe because it's so close to an urban area. The elk seem to hang out on a couple of private ranches south of Skagway Reservoir.

Good Luck

KC

KC:

I will be hunting on a private ranch with an outfitter in that area. I think the ranch is 21,000 acres and there will only be 4 of us hunting on it. We will also be the first 4 hunters on the ranch for the season - hopefully I'l get my first bull!!!
Give it up guys.... Just as the 30/06 is the standard for hunting cartridges to be compared to. So the Nosler Partition bullet is the standard for big game bullet performance to be compared with.

Use the Federal Fusions if you want to. But how does it compare to the Partition standard?
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/27/09
idaho,

Never said anything bad about the Partiton, its just does not shoot out of my 300 Win Mag. If it shot well out of my rifle, I'd be carrying them on my hunt.

I'm going to be using the Barnes TSX.
Posted By: magnumb Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/27/09
Not a bad choice at all for elk.........wink.

I know a few bulls that just hate the TSX's. As well as being so very effective and exhibiting DRT results, these bulls had less blood-shot meat than ANY other deer/elk I've ever killed with other bullets.

YMMV......but I don't think so.
300MAG,

No offense taken. I'm not a Nosler employee or investor.

Nor am I saying that the Nosler Partition is the best bullet on the market.

Whatever that bullet may be? However the NP is the standard to compare bullet performance to.

Good hunting to you.
Posted By: KC Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/27/09

300MAG:

Sounds like you might be in the right spot at the right time. Let's hope so. Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

KC

If Hornady Interlocks, Rem Core-lokts, Sierra, Speer, Win etc cup and core bullets work OK for elk, I would have no idea why a Fusion, being basically the same but bonded would not work for elk?? I would say if they shoot the best, take them and have a good hunt.
Posted By: John_G Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/30/09
For scores and scores of years all sorts of 180-gr. 30 caliber cup-and-core bullets were used successfully on elk (Core-Lokts, Powerpoints, Interlocks, Gamekings, etc.). The Fusion is really no different, and maybe a slight step above them, so . . .
I'll let ya know in a couple weeks. My boy will be shooting 165 gr fusions out his 30-06 on a cow elk hunt coming up soon (oct 10th opener)

Posted By: las Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/30/09
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Thanks for everyones input - its much appreciated!!

I'll stick with the Superior Ammo TSX load. I guess an elk will not know the differnce between bugholes and 3/4" MOA.

Now that is a quote!!!! smile
Posted By: tzone Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/30/09
The Partition is a good bullet, no doubt. However, it doesn't shoot worth a damn out of my '06 either. I'd use a core loct out of it, before I shot a NP in that rifle.

I haven't shot an elk, so I can't answer you question, but you got a lot of good advise on here, I'd use it.
g'damn patch & lead ball will roll one I dunno why a fed fusion couldn't do the same.....

Posted By: tzone Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/30/09
There is only one way to find out.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/30/09
If you had the accuracy you describe with eaven a pure lead slug, it would do the job on an elk. They've been falling to lesser bullets for decades.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/30/09
I've killed a lot of elk with all kinds of bullets. I have found that CONFIDENCE is paramount to bullet design, velocity or anything else. If you have the confidence in your shooting ability and bullet accuracy with the Fusion, take it and punch your tag. NOOOOOOO elk is going to shrug it off, especially a 180 grain bullet. I don't care how big or tough the elk is. You can even punch the shoulder. So what if you don't get an exit hole, because you don't need one. More than likely, he will pile up within a few steps. The TSX will give you exit holes and go through both shoulders, but more than likely the Fusion will as well. Put things into perspective here. Your bullet only has to go through an 8th inch of hide, 6 inches of muscle and 1/4" of bone in a worst case scenerio to get to the vitals. Nearly any bullet in a .300 will do that, especially past 150 yards. No elk is going to shrug it off. It is much better than to second guess the second choice bullets accuracy in hitting the kill zone.

I have shot really soft and light bullets into elk (150 grain Hornady's). I shot these for years and never had an issue killing bulls from 30-400 yards. The fusion will work fabulous! Flinch
I have killed many moose with 180gr core lokts in my 300 win mag so im sure the fusion which is similar will kill any elk that walks this planet!!! if they shoot the best use them they will work!!!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The .338 Federal is not the .300 Winchester. Just about any bullet works very well at .338 Federal velocities. That is one of the cartridge's virtues.

The Fusion is a fine bullet but at high impact velocities it can spread out wide and not penetrate all that far. It would be fine for broadside shots on elk, but would not be my first choice for any quartering shot, especially at close range or at the shoulder.

Tagged
Interesting discussion from long ago. Too bad the OP never returned to update us on how his hunt went.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/26/18
The OP is right here....hunt went well that year, killed my first bull using the TSX.
Good job 300 !

Obviously late to the party, I've killed 2 bull moose with 165gr Fusions, so I'd a said go for it !

Bit of a velocity difference between the 300wm & my .308, but ...............

Glad you got it done.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I'll let ya know in a couple weeks. My boy will be shooting 165 gr fusions out his 30-06 on a cow elk hunt coming up soon (oct 10th opener)

It'll work ! See above ^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by northern_dave
g'damn patch & lead ball will roll one I dunno why a fed fusion couldn't do the same.....

Stop stressing !

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

smile

RWS ?
Wow, 9 years ago !!

Sorry Dave.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 09/27/18
The 200 gr Federal will slightly edge 210 Noslers for accuracy in my 338-06, but for hunting I go with the Noslers. I suppose other bullets can equal them but I doubt any bullet is better in that rifle.
My 338-08 AI loves the Federals
I'm not going to tell you not to use it. I am sure you will be just fine with proper bullet placement.

But it was built specifically for deer.

If you go to this page at the Federal Website and use the menu at the top called "Find the Right Ammunition" you can see if they recommend any Fusion for that caliber for elk.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Federal Fusions for elk??? - 10/03/18
There are many bullets that will take elk with proper placement. Those who are experienced elk hunters know you can be presented with a shot from any angle. The bullet you use needs to be able to penetrate .from a very acute angle.Your decision to use the TSX mono for elk is sound. They will deliver where other bullets can fail. Why use a deer bullet when the TSX is available. I see hunters spend many thousands of dollars on an elk hunt each year. You may spend day's from dark in the morning to dark in the evening hunting. Dead weary. When the shot presents it self & it's an easy one , great, but if it's a going away shot where max penetration is needed you know you will be able to count on the TSX mono. Why take the chance.
My 300 mag loved those fusions, very accurate, but I never killed any big game with them. I reload Accubonds now and typically use a 30-06. Dropped one instantly last year out around 300 yards. Excellent penetration through the lungs.
Originally Posted by precision223
I'm not going to tell you not to use it. I am sure you will be just fine with proper bullet placement.

But it was built specifically for deer.

If you go to this page at the Federal Website and use the menu at the top called "Find the Right Ammunition" you can see if they recommend any Fusion for that caliber for elk.

Interestingly, Federal has started recommending the 6.5x55 Fusion for elk and moose sized game.

I suspect marketing reasons are why it is a "deer bullet" There are ALOT of deer hunters.
© 24hourcampfire