Home
I found this bull at the bottom of a canyon just before sundown. He was 447 yards away and I put him down with my 7mm SAUM with 160gr Accubond. The bullet took out both shoulders and he never took another step. Lots of fun and lots of work.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
wow. cool.
Awesome bull,somehow they never die close to a road.
accuBOMB. Good bull.
One heck of a shot!!! Congrats on a successful hunt and happy eating this winter.
I'll bet that packout was fun...
Originally Posted by IntruderBN
I'll bet that packout was fun...

This is not the first bull I have taken out of this canyon, so I am getting better at getting them out of there. No doubt... it is a lot of work.
1f: Nice bull...congrats!Great shot,too!Scope? Looks like a steep downhill angle...how did you hold for the shot?
Originally Posted by BobinNH
1f: Nice bull...congrats!Great shot,too!Scope? Looks like a steep downhill angle...how did you hold for the shot?

The rifle has a Brown Precision stock w/ a VX-III 2.5-8 scope on top. I rested the crosshairs on top of his back.
Very nice,That deep canyon would temp me to put the safety back on.
Awesome bull. Congratulations.

the 7mm SAUM is pretty good; you'd be better off with a 300 Win Mag. if given the choice.

At over 400 yards, I have more confidence in the 300 Win mag but you obviously are an excellent shot and have the confidence and performance to prove it.
Originally Posted by brooksrange
pretty good; you'd be better off with a 300 Win Mag. if given the choice.

?
the 7mm SAUM is pretty good; you'd be better off with a 300 Win Mag. if given the choice.

are you fricking kidding me?
Originally Posted by 1fstdsl
...The bullet took out both shoulders and he never took another step.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Yup.

Very nice bull. No doubt it was a lot of fun...and a lot of work.
Awesome bull. Congratulations.

At over 400 yards, I have more confidence in the 300 Win mag but you obviously are an excellent shot and have the confidence and performance to prove it.

I do happen to own a .300 Win Mag as well as a.300 SAUM. I am confident the result would have been the same with any of these rifles. My 7mm SAUM happens to be the lightest to pack around in the rough terrain, therefore that is what I was carrying that day.
Good shootin!

What unit?
Originally Posted by StrayHorse
Good shootin!

What unit?

4A
At that angle are you figuring about 320 yards for bullet drop purposes?

Beauty of a bull! Thanks for sharing
Originally Posted by muygrande1
At that angle are you figuring about 320 yards for bullet drop purposes?

Beauty of a bull! Thanks for sharing

To be honest, I did not range the animal until after it was down. I have shot this rifle enough and in this very canyon enough, that I instictively did not give much thought to it.
Handload or factory?
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Handload or factory?

Handload - 160gr Accubond, 56.5gr RL17 = 2,950-3,000fps
Congrats. Looks like you found the hidey-hole where they go after pressure. That steep canyon might give many hunters second thoughts, kind of like Sycamore in units 6B/8.
Hey, Congratulations on a great bull, with a great rough-country hunt. My kind of adventure!

Excellent shooting and looks like great bullet performance too. Outstanding!
1f: Very nice shot. Congratulations on that bull. you definitely have those AB's dialed in!

CLB
Originally Posted by 1fstdsl
Originally Posted by StrayHorse
Good shootin!

What unit?

4A

It looks like it.
1f - very nice.

Thanks for posting. I almost carried my 7SAUM this year for exactly the same reason. I developed loads with 160 Partitions. I'm curious about your Re 17 loads. I could get to low to mid 2900's but did not reach your speeds.
Originally Posted by bwinters
1f - very nice.

Thanks for posting. I almost carried my 7SAUM this year for exactly the same reason. I developed loads with 160 Partitions. I'm curious about your Re 17 loads. I could get to low to mid 2900's but did not reach your speeds.

Sounds like we are within 50fps on each other? Rifle, barrel, atmosphere differences?
good shooting, very nice bull.
Most impressive!
Great bull, congrats. What other game have you taken with the 7mm SAUM and 160gr Accubond combo? I am thinking about one for myself, seems to be one heck of a combo.
great bull and nice shooting as well.
Nice bull. That is the same load that I use in my 7Saum only the bullet is the Nosler PT.
Nice Bull, and nice shot. Congrats
bet cha had a great time as it looks like heaven on earth,good chow on the table........
Originally Posted by ACLakey
Great bull, congrats. What other game have you taken with the 7mm SAUM and 160gr Accubond combo? I am thinking about one for myself, seems to be one heck of a combo.

I have only taken mule deer and elk with this rifle. I really love this this round, accurate, efficient and in a light weight rifle.
So true. Once they are down the work begins. I agree there have been times that I should have pushed the safety on. This year was great. I was able to get my Dodge Diesel and the Elk right up to the tail gate. I am getting older and maybe more wise. Nice Elk great job.
© 24hourcampfire