Home
Never hunted with the "Fusion" cartridges. How do they compare to the "Partition"{which I know well} while hunting cow elk. We use 150g on the elk and mule deer. Shooting with a Winchester 270. Plus, I'm all to familiar with the pros and cons on using a 270 as an elk cartridge. Sure would appreciate any insights on the Fusion cartridges for hunting elk.
Looked at a 130 "Fusion" pulled from an antelope (270/130) a few weeks back... almost totally fragmented.

Not even remotely in the same class as a Partition... will kill no doubt, but I'd put all my marbles in the Partition corner.
i used 150g winchester xp3 for my .270 in my bull elk and it droped at 318 punched in one rib and out the other side did not break up at all
I never actually killed an elk with a .270, but I've taken several with a .280AI and the 160gr. Partition which is not a lot different than the great .270. My latest bull a good 6x6 was taken last week so my experience is current. While the 160gr. 7mm Partition may not be the perfect elk bullet, it's close and that means the 150gr .270 Partition can't be far behind. By all means use the Partition.
Originally Posted by super T
I never actually killed an elk with a .270, but I've taken several with a .280AI and the 160gr. Partition which is not a lot different than the great .270. My latest bull a good 6x6 was taken last week so my experience is current. While the 160gr. 7mm Partition may not be the perfect elk bullet, it's close and that means the 150gr .270 Partition can't be far behind. By all means use the Partition.

Use the 150 Partition, go forth and murderate elk with confidence.

Wayne
A Win 270 shooting 150g Nosler partitions has been my favorite elk cartridge for 35 years. Other than putting a finishing shot in one on the ground, never needed a second shot. Killing them has always been the easy part, now finding them some years has been a lot harder ...

smile

Chuck
Never shot a Fusion, but I used 150 gr Partitions and Speer Hot-Cors for almost 30 years. Both worked very well on elk. In fact, I couldn't see enough difference between them justify the higher price of the Partitions.
Fusions are designed for deer. Hit a shoulder and you may have a problem
two years ago I shot a bull moose with a 130gr.fusion,the bullet fragmented,next time for moose or elk I will use a better bullet like the partition
Having seen first hand what a 150 Nosler Partition can do to elk out of the 270, I would look no further.
Its been my understanding and from what I have read, the fusions are not made for heavy animals. They are made for deer size game and smaller so IMHO I would not use fusions for elk.
yep. federal markets the fusion bullet as one designed specifically for deer-sized game. i'd use the partition and not look back.
Thf Fusions work well for their intended purpose, but stick with the NP for elk.
Thanks for all the responses. Kinda figured the Fusion wasn't up to par with Nosler's Partition, and thought you folks would be the ones to ask for confirmation. Thanks again, my son shoots the 270 win., myself 7mm weatherby magnum. and partitions are all we've ever used hunting the wapiti / mule deer of Colorado for the past 12 yrs. We're from Ohio so we do all whitetail gun huntin w/ shotguns and blackpowder. Good information posted - much appreciated!
Welcome to the fire. Partition is tried and trued, one heck of a bullet. The construction of the fusion is not even in the same league as the partition. Good luck hunting, BSA.
Nosler partitions, are always a good idea.

The world is full of good bullets these days and the Nosler partition is still the Gold Standard, by which others will be judged.
Awhile back, using a 150PT at 2850 mv, took a Mulie about 275 facing me, found it in the ham ALMOST exited, mushroom 'reversed' itself as bullet found base forward.

I'd say a 270 w/PT gives all you will want on elk - at reasonable ranges.
Back in the days before premium bullets, a .277, 150-gr cup and core bullet would be considered fine for elk. The Fusion, despite the hype about the fused jacket, is nevertheless a cup-and-core design. It should work just fine on elk, but the Nosler Partition will work a lot more finer.
Never shot an animal with a "Fusion Bullet"!!! I have shot elk with a .270 Winchester caliber loaded up with those 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets and they work like heavy rain on a dry desert in the summertime.
lets hear some opinions on the 140 grain TSX out of the 270 for elk
Given a choice, I'd select the Partition every time. I'd save the Fusions for muleys, white tails and pronghorn. The Fusion is essentially a cup & core bullet as others here have pointed out.

The 140gr TSX? I haven't, maybe some will chime in but certainly that TSX has premium status.
130 grain 270 win bullet was recovered in the offside ribcage of a small whitetail buck. Fusions have been very accurate in the rifles I have tried them in. I would stay with heavy for caliber bullets for deer. partition much better choice for elk imo.[Linked Image]
Fusion? That looks like the one I looked at pulled out of the aforementioned antelope.

A 150 Ballistic tip worked on a cow elk this year with my 270, no problemo.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Welcome to the fire. Partition is tried and trued, one heck of a bullet. The construction of the fusion is not even in the same league as the partition. Good luck hunting, BSA.

No one can argue with the history of the Partiton and it's performance on game. I'll toss in various bonded bullets as well.

Simply no shot angle or distance a Partition won't work in.

The .270/150 combo would be flat out perfection IMHO.
Originally Posted by John_G
Back in the days before premium bullets, a .277, 150-gr cup and core bullet would be considered fine for elk. The Fusion, despite the hype about the fused jacket, is nevertheless a cup-and-core design. It should work just fine on elk, but the Nosler Partition will work a lot more finer.

The Fusion bullets are not cup-and-core bullets. Instead of starting with a cup and inserting a lead core before final forming, the Fusion bullets start with a lead core and electroplate the jacket to the core. The result is a bonded core bullet.
Nosler Partition hands down!
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The Fusion bullets are not cup-and-core bullets. Instead of starting with a cup and inserting a lead core before final forming, the Fusion bullets start with a lead core and electroplate the jacket to the core. The result is a bonded core bullet.

It's NOT a bonded-core bullet like an Accubond Or Trophy Bonded. Not even close.
A lot of people assume that bonding the jacket to lead-core rifle bullets results in all sorts of magic--but at least half of their terminal performance depends on the jacket.

Fusions have a thin jacket and a pretty soft core, so they expand rapidly and widely, the reason they kill deer-sized game so well. But the same combination doesn't guarantee deep penetration!
fusion was (is) designed for deer, not elk. while i'm certain someone has killed an elk with a 150gr fusion out of their 270, why limit yourself to a bullet NOT designed for the game you are hunting. i suggest the partition is the better choice. ymmv.
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

It's NOT a bonded-core bullet like an Accubond Or Trophy Bonded. Not even close.

The bonding process is very different but I don't know what else you could call an electro-plated jacket as there is a molecular bond between the lead core and the jacket. There is no such bond in cup-and-core bullets.
Just to play devils advocate here....how many times have we seen posts/replies that state outright you don't NEED a premium bullet for elk? I mean how much different would a C&C cheap box Rem or Win be from the Fuzion bullet, especially in a heavy for caliber weight like the 150's in 270 or 180's in 30-06?
Advocating something other than standard construction cup and core bullets like Hot Cores or Interlocks or Sierra Game Kings/Pro Hunters is different than advocating (some) Ballistic Tips, SSTs or apparently even Fusions.
© 24hourcampfire