Home
Posted By: duckcall Wall Tents - 11/21/10
I have been reading this site for a while, but this is my first post. I have only been on one elk hunt and that was twenty years ago. We backpacked about six miles from the trailhead and were all successful. I know that I couldn't physically handle that hunt now. I want to go on a traditional hunt with a wall tent, stove ect. I have been looking at a lot of websites for different tents. What do you guys prefer? I am looking for input on brands, stoves, stovepipe jack placement, frame options, doors, windows, floors ect. Do you like grommets or d-rings, what weight canvas and what size. We will probably have three or four people. Should we have two seperate tents, one for cooking and one for sleeping, or just one big tent.

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I wanted advice from people that use these tents, not just people trying to sell them. It would be great if you could include pictures of what you use and why you like it. Thanks
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Wall Tents - 11/21/10
It depends how many people you plan on as far as size. I have a 10x12 and it's great for two people. A 14x16 is great for 3 people. Talking with woodstove, and a table set up for cooking. Either size can take one more easily though it's less luxerious.

Reliable Tent and Awning in Montana made mine. Actually, mine is their basic, simple model sewn in, I believe, India. It has a window (you want that) but is otherwise quite plain. I have an internal frame, which I bought their angle kit for then cut the "straights" myself from electrical conduit. I did the whole thing for under $600.

Davis tents are highly regarded and last year, had some good sales going.

A wall tent with a woodstove, a good cot, and a big sleazy flannel-lined sleeping bag are heaven when you get back to camp after all day busting hump in the snow. smile
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Wall Tents - 11/21/10
Brands:Eena,Davis or Relliable
10 oz canvas, sod flap,no floor
Stove jack in an end wall,not ceiling.
Doors on both ends
Two samller tents are beter than one big one as party grows and shrinks.
11 x 15 is minimum size for three guys.
Don't go over size on wood stove. A small stove can run you out of a 11X16 tent.
If you are at all handy,there are variety of ways to make your own poles/frame
Posted By: zxc Re: Wall Tents - 11/21/10
i like reliable, have a glacier and a yellowstone on the way
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/21/10
Davis 14x16 with internal frame, screened front door and screened windows sides and back for ventilation in warmer weather, Colorado door, no sewn in floor (tarps are cheap and easy to clean).

Cylinder Stove Outfitter package
Cabela's Outfitter XL cot w/ tree and night stand
3" foam pad, Sportman's Warehouse bag
Roll top table inside
Lifetime 6' table outside w/ a couple water cans and a few folding chairs
Propane stove and lantern with both 1lb cylinders and larger tank with tree and dist. hoses
collapsible garbage can w/liners

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Wall Tents - 11/21/10
Great looking setup, Waputi!

My buddy has a Salem Tent and Awning tent that we use a bunch. Very high quality, also very spendy.

I have a small cast-iron "home" type woodstove. Have not used it yet though.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Wall Tents - 11/21/10
I use a Cabela's Alaknak 12x12. Works great for 3 guys, 4 works but starts to get tight. It has a sewn in floor and windows. Bought the added vestibule and it's perfect for storing wood, packs etc. Comes with 2 windows, but I cant ever remember opening the flaps to be honest.

I have a OLD sheepherders stove that keeps it very warm, and is light enough to pack in (on a horse). It also stores everything inside the stove for easier transport. Legs, shelves, stovepipe, goes right inside and fits perfectly in a pannier.

If packing in to a camp isnt a concern I would go with a thicker (and much heavier) barrel type stove. They hold the heat in the stove much longer once the fire dies down.

Posted By: duckcall Re: Wall Tents - 11/21/10
Thanks guys. Great looking camp Waputi, I already have the cots, propane stove and lantern, tables and chairs, now I have to save up for the tent(s) stove and frame. Saddlesore, why do you prefer teh stovepipe out of the end wall? I am not trying to argue with anyone, but would like to know the pros and cons of teh different set ups. I do like the idea of two smaller tents as compared to one big one. Last time I was in the mountains I don't think we could have found a spot for a really big tent.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
Putting the stove-jack out the side or back wall may save you some burn holes in the canvas from floating embers. Also makes it easier to stretch a tarp over the entire tent. Not enough of an issue for me to change at this point, but might consider it if I ever decide to purchase another tent.

Posted By: saddlesore Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
I like the stove jack in the end as it is easier to tarp the tent,less burn holes. When and if ( and you wil) have to clean the pipe,it is easier to get to. By not cutting a hole in the top of the tent, you preclude weakening the top in the event of a heavy snow. Not much, but the possibility does exist and I have stayed in tents during some heavy snow storms. No worry if you are an early season hunter. However, you might want to put gear or an extra cot in the area of a cieling stove jack when not using a stove and rain gets in a lot easier. Besides, unless you have one heck of a big tent, the stove usually goes in one end anyhow.

I have stayed in wall tents in excess of 40 years of hunting and can'r even begin to count the number of nights. I pass on what has has worked for me, but others might have just as good ideas or thoughts.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
The only point I'd argue with is the weakening of the roof, especially with an internal frame. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd take one hell of a snow storm to tear through the jack Davis puts in their tents.

I actually made a mistake and ordered my stove-jack one size too big for my pipe when I ordered from Davis and didn't realize it until I took the tent out on it's maiden voyage (see my first picture in the above posts and you can see the pipe leaning off toward the north 40). I made it through that hunt by running bailing wire from the pipe to the tent frame and later remedied the problem by purchasing the right size military style jack from Cylinder Stoves, which I sewed on the inside of the fiberglass jack that was already in place. It took me a little while using a stitch awl, but the end result is dang near bombproof and turned out great. The new jack has some sort of a fireproof gasket that seals tightly against the pipe and keeps out rain.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
Always funny when a backpacker reads a wall tent thread... how much room folks need..... grins...

We have a 12x14 Davis. Works just fine for 5.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
My son-in-law has the same tent as Waputi, without the side windows. 4 of us used it for Colorado 1st Rifle season and had plenty of room. 4 Cabelas Outfitter XL cots and all the gear didn't begin to get crowded. Used propane heat and had a large two burner gas cook unit. WE put down tarps with outdoor carpeting over that for the entire floor. This was the 3rd trip with the tent and it's been great.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
Here are the best frame angles around. The one inch angles are perfect for one inch conuit and the eye bolts make it very easy to put up the frame. Even with a 14'x16'x5' tent, one man can put it up.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Fittings/Canopy-Fitting.aspx

I think the Three Dogs stoves are tops, too.

L.W.
Posted By: kallen Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
Any significant differences between the Davis and the Reliable? I see they are pretty comparable in price.

I went by the Montana Canvas shop a couple of weeks ago and they looked good, but I am just learning. Seems their tents are $200 to $300 more?
Posted By: Tracks Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
Originally Posted by kallen
Any significant differences between the Davis and the Reliable? I see they are pretty comparable in price.

I have one of each and prefer the Davis.
If I was buying now I'd have one with doors on both end, storm flaps, and the stove jacks out the ends.
After a few seasons you learn the things you like and dislike about your tents.
Having one with the doors on each end lets you put the tents together and pretty much have one large tent, or keep them apart for privacy
Posted By: logcutter Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
I'm in awe over your set up..I go way back in wall tents using them to live on the job and hunting.I even stayed one winter working in a Sheepherders wagon.A very good friend of mine stayed at 6,000 feet above McCall Idaho in several feet of snow and -20 temps on State ground..His secret was a plastic barrier and he only used the traditional sheepherders stove with the oven in the rear.

These new tents are eye candy to me.I love to look at them.I have a 10X12 with 5 ft walls built by the canvas guy in McCall.I built my own frames on different tents from pecker poles to 2X4's to conduit pipe.I have had Marine canvas tents also,don't no if they even sell them anymore.

Times have really changed and for the better in wall tents.Don't see how a guy could go wrong with any of the modern versions.

Jayco
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Wall Tents - 11/22/10
Here is one reason I don't like the stove jack in the roof. This was not my tent and in this season,the canvas was always sagging from the snow where we could not tarp it. On the the tarped end, the snow slid off. The other photo was a bigger tent along with a smaller one that we had a big propane heater in. Other members of the ownership used it, but put a stove jack dead center in the roof and I disliked it after that. We finally sold it and I bought one myself.

Most any of the brand name wall tents will work in nice weather as shown in the earlier post,but put one to the test in weather such as these photos show and you will need a good one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cattleauctioneer Re: Wall Tents - 11/23/10
I have two Davis tents and love them. I believe they are the best tents made. I have the internal frames and the cylinder stoves, they work great. The guys at Davis are great and really stand behind their products. I personally wouldn't consider anything but a Davis tent. You should definately consider getting the storm flap too. A great tent for a great price.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Wall Tents - 11/23/10
Our party favors individual eating and sleeping quarters. We can wine and dine a party of 5 in absolute comfort with a 12 x 14 with 5 ft walls. It would be a real pinch to sleep them there too, but we have done everything in a 12 x 14 with a party of 4 on horse pack trips. A PIA to put up sleeping gear every morning or worry about spills etc if cots are used as tables and chairs. No one in our party is going to tend an overnight fire either, so we simply use good bags in an unheated tent and sleep the night away.

Canvas weight depends on intended use. Lighter weights are better for horse packing, but if one is solely trucking stouter (12+ oz) is better. Something few think of is shrinking ones tent (pitch it and wet and dry it about 3 times on a hot summer day - lawn sprinklers both in and outside). Makes it even more water proof, and one knows it will always fit his frame.

We don't care for floors because one has to be a neat freak and worry constantly about punctures from table/cot/chair legs, dropped fire wood, etc. Spilled coffee, grease, and mud are not an issue on a bed of mother natures pine needles, and one can run in and out at will with his boots on. Box all dry goods and paper, because rodents WILL find you after about 3 days. Lots of great brands out there, so just look for what floats your boat. There are great tent and awning makers in nearly every western state. One can save a fortune if someone in your party can fabricate a frame with electrical conduit.

A few hints:

A flat topped heating stove can double for cooking on pack trips. A collapsing stove will not occupy 6 cubic feet of year round storage space and will still last 20+ yrs. NEVER use an unvented heating source in a tent. Straight pipes vent/draft better than angled pipe and don't need external support. Shelving will help reduce clutter. A plastic fly will help shed snow, but it's not needed if rain is the only consideration. Pitch it on convex high ground that will not puddle in a storm. Use every available tie down point. Be mindful of flame. Fire has ruined many a trip. Independent lanterns and cook stoves are handier than multiple units tethered to a propane tree. Thoroughly dry ones tent before storing it in a mouse proof container (wood box). Keep firearms outside the tent in an unheated but dry locale. Not a better elk camp made in my book. Four hunters and all camp equipment/groceries for 15 days will fit in a single crew cab 1 ton. A well thought out arrangement can be comfortable and compact. No additional trailers needed.

Dining and sleeping quarters with dome tents added as needed.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Wall Tents - 11/23/10
Great looking setup, 1Minute.

Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Wall Tents - 11/23/10
Yeah what Jeff said, plus it looks a mite more civilized than the pics with all the white that saddle put up...<g>

Dober
Posted By: 1minute Re: Wall Tents - 11/23/10
The white showed up 2 days after camp went in. Not much color separation after that stuff falls.
Posted By: Colorado_Okie Re: Wall Tents - 11/23/10
Lots of great ideas here! I am also going to add my vote for Davis Tent and Awning. Davis simply beats the competition in terms of affordability and durability of the product. Save your money and get the traditional pole set up. We took 18-24" of snow during our second season hunt in the local mountains, along with 60mph winds with no problems whatsoever.

We got a 14'x17' tent in the sunforger fabric, with a window, the colorado storm flap and the ridge stove for $1100 out the door.

We're even buying another this spring to use as a mess hall.

Good luck!
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/23/10
If you're planning on buying another, I'd do it sooner than later, as Davis says on their website that the cost of cotton is doubling.
Posted By: duckcall Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
Thanks guys, this is the type of discussion I was hoping for.
Posted By: Huntinut Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
Duck if you're in Colorado go to the Sportsmans Expo in January and Davis usually will have a show special goin on. Also if you do order one get a Colorado door too, that's the flap over the zipper with buckles.

Huntinut
Posted By: cattle_auctioneer Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
I'm new to this forum but i've been reading it for a while. I have a Davis tent that measures 12x18. The reason I went with 12 foot wide is because carpet comes in 12 foot rolls, so I went to the box store and cut off 18 foot of cheap carpet. It makes for a great floor. We sleep 2 in it and have plenty of room to cook in the same tent, but i am thinking of buying another one for a cook shack.
I agreee with great waputi, sooner is better than later when it comes to buying tents these days. I also like the colorado door.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
Originally Posted by cattle_auctioneer
cheap carpet. It makes for a great floor.

Do does dirt......
Why take off muddy boots and have to clean floors?
And have to pack and maintain that heavy roll of fluff?

You'll learn.......
Posted By: Fargus Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
If you're planning on buying another, I'd do it sooner than later, as Davis says on their website that the cost of cotton is doubling.

I wonder how much this will raise the price of a tent? I have been saving my pennies to get one after the first of the year and can't really afford to buy one now, but not sure I can really afford to wait. Especially with Christmas right around the corner.
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
For those who don't know, cotton prices this year are the highest in dollar terms that they have been in 140 yrs. That is something like double last year. How much that affects product prices is another issue.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
Don't know for sure. Davis usually runs a monthly special, and their special this month is basically offering their tents at last months prices before an increase.

http://davistent.com/html/specials.html
Posted By: Fargus Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
Doing some quick math it looks to be roughly a $70-$105 increase in material cost depending on the size of tent that you buy. And that is using the $1.51/pound from last week.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
I'd be patient and keep watching their monthly specials. In the Spring they usually run a "scratch and dent" type sale with great deals on tents that are "soiled", wrinkled, etc., or sometimes made from two different batches of material so the colors are a little off. The only down-side is they're sold "as is" and they won't add windows, screens, doors, etc. What you see, is what you get.
Posted By: whizbangdaddy Re: Wall Tents - 11/24/10
Pretty good set up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TJAY Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
Here is our deer camp. Cook tent and two sleeping tents.
[Linked Image]
Inside cook tent.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cattle_auctioneer Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
Nice pictures TJAY. Looks like a great camp. I can see a lot of thought and planning went into your cook shack. Its very organized and looks like plenty of room for everyone. I think the carpet helps to keep a cleaner camp, but that is just MY opinion. I would hate to push it on anyone else. Ha ha, but I guess I have a lot to learn. Anyway Its a great looking camp.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
It really didn't take me long to figure out that I wanted to hunt more/spend less time vaccuuming, dusting, polishing and the other household chores associated with a 'clean' camp. Not to mention the extry packing/mainenance that goes along with such. Count me as 'lazy', when it comes to wimmin's work.....grin
Posted By: MichaelD Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
What kind of warmth do you get with a good stove when the temps really dip down? We just had the open to the late archery elk season and a cold front came in behind the snow. Was about -5 here last night. How low of temps have you used your tents and how have they held up to the low temperatures? I don't need 90 degrees to sleep, but how well do they keep you comfortable when the temps really dive in the late season?
Michael
I live in that camp for 3 weeks in November so comfort is a good thing. That green carpet is a thin outdoor carpet. Water and snow go right through into the ground. It also folds up to a nice small package for easy transport. We always have two in camp, wife and me, and up to six others. All of camp fits into our two pickup trucks. When we go west elk hunting we use just the one tent for everything, it is just the two of us.
huntsman22. wimmins work is why you have the wife along....GRIN
Actually clean up is about twice a week and takes about 10 min.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
-10 in Wyoming Unit 100 two years ago and we got along fine. You can actually cook yourself out with a good stove stoked full-bore. A chunk or two of coal in my Cylinder Stove with the dampener pinched down will smolder pretty much all night and keep the edge off. And if it doesn't, me and my hunting buds are getting to the age where we're up at least a couple times a night anyway and can bank the stove if needed. A good sleeping bag is also key, as is having a good pad underneath you.

Posted By: cattleauctioneer Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
Huntsman22, I also like to have a little carpeting in my tent. It helps to keep things clean and dry. I think its worth the 2 minutes of trouble to unroll it to help keep pine needles out of my sleeping bag. I really dont like stepping on sticks on my way to stoke the fire at night either. Just felt like throwing in my two cents....grin
Keep throwing two cents at 'clean' and purty soon you are talking real cash.....2 seconds to slip on yer bathroom slippers, also trumps two minutes for the rugging fug.....and less packing space.

You guys crack me up. This ain't the Ritz, it's hunting camp. If this is how you live in the woods, post some pics of how you live at home. I never much been into 'luxury'.......
Posted By: smokepole Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
Don, you wear bathroom slippers in camp?

What happened to your crocs?

Posted By: whambasted Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Keep throwing two cents at 'clean' and purty soon you are talking real cash.....2 seconds to slip on yer bathroom slippers, also trumps two minutes for the rugging fug.....and less packing space.

You guys crack me up. This ain't the Ritz, it's hunting camp. If this is how you live in the woods, post some pics of how you live at home. I never much been into 'luxury'.......

here are some thorofare hunting camp wall tents. everything is packed in by horses and mules 27 miles from the nearest dirt road. i worked for this outfit. you might notice the lack of frames for the tents and 0 floor. we put shoes on over 75 horses in 1 week before the sept. hunts started.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by smokepole
Don, you wear bathroom slippers in camp?

What happened to your crocs?

[Linked Image]

Smoke, my schlippers are under the cot, to the right. You can see 'em poking out, under there. But that ain't camp, that's where I live. Yup, in a floorless wall tent.......
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Wall Tents - 11/25/10
I do not like the Davis tents because you cannot get a true 5 foot wall height. What they call 5 feet finishes out about 4 1/2. Also, their roof pitch is shallower than some other brands, and their internal frames use 1 inch conduit, which tend to bend in the snow loads of 4th elk season here in Colorado. I have a 16 x 20 x 5 Davis that exhibits all these problems. I have a Montana Canvas 12 x 17 that has none of them-- Full 5 foot walls, 1 1/8 inch internal frame and cast angles, and steeper roof pitch. I have also used a Colorado
Tent in 16 x 20 x 5 over a lodgeple frame and found it good.
I would suggest you get at least a small square or trianular zippered/screened window in the upper back wall of the tent to allow cross ventilation when all the stoves and lanterns are on, especially if your ridgepole log fills up the opening. If you are not camping in snow, none of the above really matters. Good hunting!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Wall Tents - 11/27/10
Smoke, my schlippers are under the cot, to the right. You can see 'em poking out, under there. But that ain't camp, that's where I live. Yup, in a floorless wall tent.......

Well, it looks like you're keeping good company there.....
Posted By: zxc Re: Wall Tents - 11/27/10
Originally Posted by whambasted

What happens if someone spills a drink or his bunk is not tight enough to bounce a quarter?

here are some thorofare hunting camp wall tents. everything is packed in by horses and mules 27 miles from the nearest dirt road. i worked for this outfit. you might notice the lack of frames for the tents and 0 floor. we put shoes on over 75 horses in 1 week before the sept. hunts started.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PeaEye Re: Wall Tents - 11/27/10

Having just spent most of a week in a place where we were experiencing gusts in excess of 60 mph at night, I'm a bit believer in heavy canvas duck a strong frame. There's a reason for these traditional designs. Our pipe was through the roof, but being rather an old pipe with loose joints, we had to guy wire it out to keep it stable, especially since we put the spark arrestor screen outside the tent. That prevents you from using a fly. I might experiment another time with the pipe out the back wall at a 60 degree angle, and a fly. But you want solid, strong, heavy if you're going to be in big winds.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/27/10
Originally Posted by PeaEye

Having just spent most of a week in a place where we were experiencing gusts in excess of 60 mph at night, I'm a bit believer in heavy canvas duck a strong frame. There's a reason for these traditional designs. Our pipe was through the roof, but being rather an old pipe with loose joints, we had to guy wire it out to keep it stable, especially since we put the spark arrestor screen outside the tent. That prevents you from using a fly. I might experiment another time with the pipe out the back wall at a 60 degree angle, and a fly. But you want solid, strong, heavy if you're going to be in big winds.

Having your stove pipe run out of the roof doesn't exactly prevent you from using a full length fly, but definitely makes it a little harder. I have a laminated vinyl fly from Kirkham's here in Utah that has a stove-jack sewn into it just like my tent. I've only used it once so far, but it works great. Has grommets that attach over the same points as Davis's roof angles and has side guy ropes that run out to their own stakes. Dang near bullet proof, but also pretty heavy and bulky, which is why I've only used it once. If I were going on a Colorado 4th season or similar hunt, you can dang sure bet I'd have it along though.

Posted By: saddlesore Re: Wall Tents - 11/27/10
Having a pre made fly with stove jack such as described kinda limits one of buying a $20 tarp every other year. And then when it gets a little battered, you use it as a floor
Posted By: whambasted Re: Wall Tents - 11/27/10
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Having a pre made fly with stove jack such as described kinda limits one of buying a $20 tarp every other year. And then when it gets a little battered, you use it as a floor

staple or pin a 2x2 ft. square of fiberglass cloth in the stovejack location on the cheapo tarp and cut the stovepipe circle out. cheap and easy.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wall Tents - 11/28/10
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Point taken, but the fly didn't cost me a dime. Had a buddy who was looking for a tent and I found him a screaming deal on a complete Kirkham's package (new 14x16 with aluminum internal frame, extended eves, two doors, screened side windows, and fly for $650.00) and he gifted me the fly for finding the deal and getting it bought.
© 24hourcampfire