Home
How old are you guys hunting the hills for Elk.

I will be 62 in Feb..

Just curious.

Jayco
Why don't you PM him?
Just curious to some of the ages here,Elk Hunting...

How bout you loco?

Jayco
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
I'm 45 and have killed (mumble mumble) two elk. smile
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Jayco, I think he has mentioned his age a couple of different times in his posts.Just do a search on his posts and you will have your answer. Just sayin, Steve
I think Dober is around 50.

Interesting question though.

I'm 33.

About 20 buck deer.
About 12 buck lopes.
Zero elk, did shoot at a huge bull several years ago. Good thing it was a miss cause I didn't have a tag....(grin)
Logcutter, is this a man-crush? What kind of man are you looking for, old or young? Is this because Ray Atkinson is gone? smile
I am just curious to the ages of our Elk hunters here..Mark was my first choice in asking..

No biggy how old we are is it? Bob..You there?

Jayco
Posted By: krp Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Every once in awhile a topic just strikes me as... weird... but that's just me.

Kent
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
31 here
Originally Posted by krp
Every once in awhile a topic just strikes me as... weird... but that's just me.

Kent

Maybe,but I like knowing some about those that post about Elk hunting here without getting to personal.Heck..It sure don't bother me..My oldest son is 42 and my son-in-law is 43 and I have two more sons 37 and 36 plus my babie that just turned 21.

Just curious.

Jayco
Posted By: krp Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Well, singling one guy out by name in the topic, to ask straight up his age and nothing else is personal... and weird.

Asking in the course of a two way conversation during a thread, not so much.

Glad I'm not an elk hunter...

Kent

I believe hes said 50 in the recent past some time. 61 for me and thankfully can still get up the hill...a little more slowly grin
and thankfully can still get up the hill a little more slowly

Me to and thankful for my younger sons when it comes to the work part of it.

Jayco
Dang, I didn't realize how old some of you guys are! LOL
just got back to the house, I'm mid life which for me would be 52, still get up the hills ok.

I've had 5 knee surgeries in the last decade or so but they still go up hill just fine. Now down hill...that plain sucks!

Dober
Posted By: ou76 Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Know what you mean Dober as I have had 5 knee surgeries while playing collge football and have had 2 knee replacements...one in 2007 and the other in 2008...just getting back to go...going down hill no longer is a painful experience..... 63 on Friday and have hunted since I was 12...been all over NA...

I hear Mark on that down hill.

I will be 54 next month. I too have had 3 knee and one spine surgeries done. (in the last ten years) They do slow me down just a tad.
Being on the Hill hunting, is a great passion of mine. I guess, I will go until they put dirt on me..
Posted By: mudhen Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Just wait until you young farts get to be 67 and 15 lbs heavier! (Don't ask me how I know.)

Too much pie and ice cream..
59-2/3
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
just got back to the house, I'm mid life which for me would be 52, still get up the hills ok.

I've had 5 knee surgeries in the last decade or so but they still go up hill just fine. Now down hill...that plain sucks!

Dober

My favorite view in the whole wide world is looking down early in the morning and seeing Dober below me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to post...56 here
Posted By: Waders Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
42 here.

Dober

You sir are a inspiration! Ive had 3 surgeries, and it hasnt stopped me yet. But Id be lying if I said I still get up the mountain like when I was 25...

I do feel sorry for you guys and your knee problems.I have been knocked plum silly so many times working and everything on me still works except some heart problems.

I think the knee thing was the most painful by far.I dislocated mine from a big pine that wouldn't do what it was supposed to and I wasn't quick enough, but it all worked out.

We should all be grateful we can get out and do things in the hills...

Jayco
Originally Posted by logcutter
We should all be grateful we can get out and do things in the hills...

Jayco

Amen!
23 here.
54 here and still wrestling with a knee I screwed up elk hunting back in my 20's. Dumb enough I guess to think it will heal up or just plain go away. Worst pain for me was riding horses down off the west side of the divide into the the middle Fork of the Flathead. Why is uphill so much easier?
Posted By: Rogue Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
42 just like Wader. I heard 42 years old is the cool age to be hunting elk this year.
Well...since everyone has been sharing....I'm 29.

Then again, I aint Mark R Dobrenski!
51.25 or so.

I've only killed 9 elk so far but I'm hoping to increase that this weekend. Late muzzleloader season is open.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
I'm 60...last elk hunt was 2-3 years ago.Last hunt out west was October....mule deer.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10

60 in January
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Getting close to 58, way too much pie and ice cream
and thankfully can still get up the hill a little more slowly

Me to and thankful for my younger sons when it comes to the work part of it.

Jayco

55 next month. With trashed knees, back, hip, and now the left shoulder is really starting to do bad things. I don't think I could have handled the last elk w/o the help of my son! He was a real lifesaver.

Kaywoodie
Posted By: redtop Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
I'm 56 killed an elk every year since I was 20.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
54. I wish I could have started before I was 40.

I met up with my son-in law and his friend (age 26 and 30)on a remote ridge at 11K this last season. It made me feel good when he commented, "I don't know how you old guys do this!"
Posted By: ingwe Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
58..but I quit hunting elk 10 years ago after a string of 23 in a row...thats enough elk "fun" for me! grin

My best friend is the same age as I (61) has had a total knee replacement and went on a rough country elk/md hunt in Utah in Oct. Took a beautiful, heavy-horned 5x5 bull the last day after climbing a mountain where you had to pull yourself up on brush and rocks--shot the bull on top at ~11k. The 30-something guide commented he knew guys in their 40s and 30s that would have said , "no thanks". He works hard and walked over 1000 mi in preparation for that hunt. The bull was nice but my friend commented to me that his trophy was getting to the top of that Hill.

We're talking about another md hunt next fall but "not so rough he said" grin
I wouldn't call myself an elk hunter just yet..

Dober

What is it with going down the hill that is so bad. I kill me too. And I'm only 61.

Numerous White tails
7 Mule Deer
2 Speed goats
0 Elk. ( still trying for a tag)
Posted By: Huntr Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
46 here, didn't get to start hunting out west until I was out of college... 17 elk killed in 21 elk hunts.
Originally Posted by goodnews

My best friend is the same age as I (61) has had a total knee replacement and went on a rough country elk/md hunt in Utah in Oct. Took a beautiful, heavy-horned 5x5 bull the last day after climbing a mountain where you had to pull yourself up on brush and rocks--shot the bull on top at ~11k. The 30-something guide commented he knew guys in their 40s and 30s that would have said , "no thanks". He works hard and walked over 1000 mi in preparation for that hunt. The bull was nice but my friend commented to me that his trophy was getting to the top of that Hill.

He did put in his preperation but I don't see him walking past my house every morning anymore. You better book your Mule Deer hunt. He needs the incentive. wink

ddj
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
52 years
1 knee surgery
15 elk
13 pronghorn
3 mule deer
1 bighorn
I just turned 50 so now I can petition Dober for membership in his 50/50 club.....

cool
41 here and not feeling bulletproof like I used to about five to ten years ago.

Getting tougher on the knees on the long descents, going uphill is fine though.

Looking for new adventures all the time, you only live once, right?
Two elk in three seasons. Thanks to the help of a wise mentor.
He turned 70 this year, and shot the craziest non-typical bull I, or the FWP, had ever seen.
42.... for 14 more days.
66 - more hunts behind me then ahead of me.

1st elk in 1962
Last elk in 2009
A bunch in between
I'm 46, wished I would have been even interested in hunting when I was younger(20ish). Women and beer were priorities then.
47 for me.

I'm with Mark on the downhill thing. I can still climb without much hinderance but after a couple of days of roaming, the downhill gear doesn't work well. Barbell squats have helped alot. I've been told most of my issue is/was muscle imbalance in/around my knees, I think that is why the squats have helped.
36 on Saturday
49...three knee surgeries and the forth scheduled for January...I killed my first elk in 1972, I was 11 years old. More than a few between then and now, but never enough...
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Dober

[/b]My favorite view in the whole wide world is looking down early in the morning and seeing Dober below me.[b]

Oh yeah, I forgot to post...56 here

That is just wrong in so many ways! blush
67 and soon retired. Can't wait to start doing the house work (fire the expensive maids), cooking (fire the cook, no wait that is the wife), grocery shopping,coach the grandkidlets, etc.

Hope to still have time after retirement to go elk huntin' again!
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Very, very true; if he'd just cut out the donuts.

He did put in his preperation but I don't see him walking past my house every morning anymore. You better book your Mule Deer hunt. He needs the incentive. wink

ddj
27, only killed 6 elk, 5 with a stick and string and one with a rifle. I have got a lot to learn. I started hunting elk when I was 17.
Posted By: ADNA Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
almost 62. I got smart and got help to get my elk out this year.
You never did send the pictures of your elk to post. What happened?
42 and hung like a mule
Just turned 40 with about 10 elk hunts behind me and still doing pretty dang good considering 7 back surgeries, one knee surgery and two shoulder surgeries. Very thankful to be able to climb the hills where the wapiti live.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Too much pie and ice cream..

Actually, I'm not much of a desert eater. Haven't had any ice cream in can't remember when and only eat pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Can't be the beer and whisky, can it?
well i guess i am the pup here i am 25
the kill tally is
1 bull
2 cows
2 does
4 bucks
Posted By: Lonny Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
43 here with 13 bulls,(mostly raghorns) and half dozen cows notched into my stock. Good health, but have lost a bit of the intense desire to punch my elk tag every year anymore. I still love to eat'em and be out in it though. Didn't kill an elk this fall for the first time in several years and it didn't really bother me.
Posted By: Tony Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
I'll be 49 at the end of the month.
Posted By: rl11 Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
I'm 23-
I've killed two bull elk, two boar black bears, an antelope buck, nine whitetail bucks, and three mule deer bucks.

I can walk 15 miles in a day, and my wiener is 5 7/8 inches long.
You forgot to mention the partridge in a pear tree.....laffin!
Posted By: SKane Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/02/10
grin grin
71 pushing 72 real hard. Some of those mountains are now too steep but that is why we horses, isn't it.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
Elk hunting for me started in the 60's! My age is of no concern but I am 49 and holding.......DOBER can add it all up I suppose. 3 back surgeries, 5 broken hands, 6 busted noses, dislocated jaw twice, broken collar bone twice on left side, once on the right. Suffered 2 cracked ribs right side and 3 on left side. A good thing is was not at the same time. Cracked vertebra in neck and herniated disk.

Elbow surgery twice right arm, once on left arm. Right knee worked on several times but no replacement as of yet, still going up the hills, I just slide down them on a piece of cardboard. The worst is my feet nowdays from diabetes and that is more debilitating than all the rest I figure. My old man once said: You got to be a tuff SOB to get old!!!

This year I must miss the elk, mule-deer, whitetail and pronghorn, it just plain sucks big time. Perhaps next year maybe GOD willing I pray. The doc told me the other day, I got a back of an 85 year old man....yada yada yada, told me to lose more weight and stop eating so much meat because of cholesterol being so high. I told him I am still eating Pork, Cheese, Steak, and love those potatos too! I am older than the "Polish Prince" by a bakers dozen plus 2. Gotta Go Up The Hill! Gotta Go Down The Hill! now does that sound familiar DOBER? Gotta Go Air, don't fly United.
Posted By: colodog Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
51 for me.... Dang when did that happen?
Posted By: buffybr Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
I'll be 65 in February, and all original equipment is still in good condition and working fine.

This year I drug my 34th elk out of the woods by myself, again.
the kill tally is
1 bull
2 cows
2 does
4 bucks

I have killed that much game with a company vehicle.
Posted By: PeaEye Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
52, started when I was 44. Not something I grew up with. I started out as a sherpa for a neighbor, went from there. My hunting partners are all about the same age, and it suddenly dawned on us in the last year or two that we needed to recruit some younger folks so there'll be someone around to hang quarters for us in our dotage. There seem to be a number of guys in their 30s who have always wanted to hunt, but haven't done much of it for one reason or other (school, jobs, young kids).

My kids are both girls. The older one says no way, not interested. I'm holding out hope for the younger one (8 now) who shows a lot of interest, though she's still not sure whether she could pull the trigger on an elk. She sure likes eating them though -- roasted medium rare, cold the next morning, with salt.... She shows promise as an archer.

Only thing I have to add at this point about body degradation..

My right knee (tore it up surfing in '97) only hurts me when I'm in a stand or glassing for any length of time.

I find that to be a real detriment.
Turned 57 years young today. Took archery bulls 6 years straight. Passed on 2 rag horns holding out for 300 class and went hungry. Never pass on any legal bull again. Last 2 years too busy. (got to change that) Hunted 2 days this year. I did draw a Mt. Lion tag this year thought. Plenty of snow and looking good.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
Well since were giving out our resumes, as stated i'm 31. I have failing knees (doc says surgery is in my future), tinitus in my right ear, I got thrown around inside a humvee and screwed up my left shoulder via an IED blast, I have reocurring shin splints, and ocassional back spasms. I have been thrown off to many horses and the Marines shortened my lifespan by a number of years i'm sure.

I still climb the hills well, but can feel it all getting worse every year.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
I am 16

0 deer
0 elk
0 bear
0 antelope
15 coyotes
45 (take a few) muskrats
and numerous squirrels.

Posted By: Jamie Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
40yrs old.21 bulls in the last 25 years
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Referring to me, my friend our your self?
Posted By: MTMAN Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
I am 56 now, started hunting elk with my dad when I was 12. I shot my first elk by my self when I was 17, in the middle of what is now the Yellowstone Club. I am probably done hunting in the Yellowstone Club, but I am not done hunting elk. Nothing better than stalking through the trees on a snowy November morning, waiting for that once in a life time rush that you get everytime you see that yellow and brown up ahead. Besides I just like elk steaks to darn much.

We had a young Montana Highway Patrol officer shot and killed yesterday in the line of duty, our prayers to his loved ones.
36, turning 37 in less than two weeks. Three elk hunts 3 dead bulls, 2 dead cows. 2 black bears, one mule deer buck, one doe. One antelope buck. ONe sitka blacktail buck. Over 100 whitetails. 7 shoulder dislocations, one surgery. knees are going south really fast. Can't wait to get back in the mountains next year.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Referring to me, my friend our your self?

I only speak of myself. I have a few more goals to realize before I can consider myself an Elk hunter.

Posted By: noduck Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
34 went elk hunting for the first time this year, and got a bull..
the kill tally is
1 bull
2 cows
2 does
4 bucks

Now dat was funny!

Dober
four oh
Shot quite a few, but nothing knarly. Just a lot of fun memories and steaks.
Posted By: PeaEye Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Well since were giving out our resumes, as stated i'm 31. I have failing knees (doc says surgery is in my future), tinitus in my right ear, I got thrown around inside a humvee and screwed up my left shoulder via an IED blast, I have reocurring shin splints, and ocassional back spasms. I have been thrown off to many horses and the Marines shortened my lifespan by a number of years i'm sure.

I still climb the hills well, but can feel it all getting worse every year.

Yeah, I had a doc like that once, told me at age 31 that I had the knees of a 60 year old. That was 21 years ago, and I have since concluded that she was full of crap. I'm sure the arthritis will catch up with me eventually, but it hasn't yet.

PS: thanks for putting your ass on the line for the rest of us.

Posted By: Cross Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
I'll be 38 in a week. While I find it quite serious that there aren't more younger people as interested in what we do as we are, I think it's hilarious to learn that such a bunch of old farts are on the internet! Hah!
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Getting close to 58, way too much pie and ice cream

Yup, me too...

Didn't start elkin till I was almost 30.
14, so far and #15 better watch it's a**!

Good health. Everything seems to work alright.

Sooo..... what were we talking about?
the kill tally is
1 bull
2 cows
2 does
4 bucks

Now dat was funny!

Dober
51 in a couple of months. 1 elk in '90 and a few dozen whitetails.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
62 come Feb. Freezer is full this year, three deer, one elk.
Body isn't what I wished it was, so am careful where I shoot critters
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I am 16

0 deer
0 elk
0 bear
0 antelope
15 coyotes
45 (take a few) muskrats
and numerous squirrels.

Just keep after those coyotes and everything else will be easy!! Trust me on this....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

15 coyotes

Just keep after those coyotes and everything else will be easy!! Trust me on this....

AGREED!

Deer, elk etc ( not so much bears..) will allow you little mistakes, a little noise here, a little movement there....coyotes never do....

Big time concur here. Long ago I learned that if we had to live and subside off yotes without the use of calls and or traps that we'd be an awfully skinny group of people. They'll probably be the last ones standing..grin

Dober
My mom says I'm 485 months.

And people say I'm an evil genius.

They're half right....

grin
Long ago I learned that if we had to live and subside off yotes without the use of calls and or traps that we'd be an awfully skinny group of people.

I'd become a vegetarian, twigs and berries sound pretty good compared to 'yote meat!

Got 3 of them sneaky bastids so far this Fall. Who needs a call when you have an F-150, just remember to aim about 2-3 feet in front of 'em....(grin)
Posted By: super T Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
Logcutter: I've been killing elk for many years. Killed my latest,a decent 6x6 on 10.20.10 one day before my 68th birthday. If I knew anything about how to post photos I'd do so. God willing and all that, I'll do it again next year.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10

What caliber and bullet do you use? Thanks
jwp475, are you asking me?
Originally Posted by super T
Logcutter: I've been killing elk for many years. Killed my latest,a decent 6x6 on 10.20.10 one day before my 68th birthday. If I knew anything about how to post photos I'd do so. God willing and all that, I'll do it again next year.

Thats Super,superT..I hope I am still able to get around in the hills when I'm 68,another 6 years for me.My grandfather shot his last one at 75,that's kinda my goal but he had lot's of young help packing it out,that's what worries me.Me and the wife might have to eat it right there.

If you ever want to post pics...Send them to me and I will post them for you.

jaycocreek@levergunlovers.com or jaycocreek@msn.com

Jayco
Originally Posted by super T
jwp475, are you asking me?

Yes, thanks
Bunch of young pups here on this site it looks like.
I am 67, still hobbling around. Back fusion with screws and rods,COPD,and a bunch of other PIA's.

I started elk hunting in 66 or so. Recent memory tells me I have more than 40 elk kills. All DIY in NM or CO except one Canada huntin 1980 or so. I don't count how many deer or goats. One nice Big horn ram and a mountain goat.

Antelope hunt tommorrow.

I'd still like to shoot moose before I hang it up,which might not be to far away.

My last elk was a cow this year with a muzzle loader, Ill health kept me from 3rd season with a rifle.
Two elk last year a 7x8 bull and a cow.
My current rifle is a pre-64 Mod.70 chambered to the .280AI. I use the Nosler 160gr Partition about 2950. However, over the years I've killed them with other rounds too, the 300WIN and the 7RM. In a lighter rifle the 300's just kicks to much for me to be comfortable with. For those who can handle the recoil it's darn near perfect. I've also used Hornady bullets a lot and liked them, but for the past 20 years or so I've used the Partition for almost all my deer/elk hunting. I must say though that I becoming interested in trying the TTSX because I keep running into guys like you who swear by them.
logcutter, I just emailed two photos to you thanks. Troy
Here 'ya go Super T!Very Nice rack...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Congradulations
Posted By: ehunter Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
54 in a few days and the hills do get steeper and longer. You start to question your sanity when your 5 miles in and thinking about pulling that release grin!!
Logcutter, thanks
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
34. I can tell I'm not 18 anymore but this year I walked the legs off of 31 and 21 year olds while guiding. Did the same with a 23 yr old last year. Gives me a little pride.

How does the "Mark Dobrenski aka Dober" become a "meat market" listing of game takin' as if that's some measure of a man, or hunter--as the "I" generation says, "give me a break,".

Talk about meaningless...

Come on fellows; bring it up a notch
Really..Then we have all the panty/skimpy clad broads post on ask the gun writers...I agree..Give me a break but it happens here and alot.

I started this thread asking Dober his age,then I changed it for everyone, since how do we know who we are talking to about Elk hunting?

Hasn't been a half naked babe yet on this thread unlike the Ray one,has there?The point being,I would much rather see the racks and Elk that come from proud hunters than the scanty babes which have nothing at all to do with hunting or this forum.

Just my opinion..

Jayco
Posted By: SLM Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/03/10
Really..Then we have all the panty/skimpy clad broads post on ask the gun writers...I agree..Give me a break but it happens here and alot.

I started this thread asking Dober his age,then I changed it for everyone, since how do we know who we are talking to about Elk hunting?

Hasn't been a half naked babe yet on this thread unlike the Ray one,has there?The point being,I would much rather see the racks and Elk that come from proud hunters than the scanty babes which have nothing at all to do with hunting or this forum.

Just my opinion..

Jayco

I kinda like looking at both.
I kinda like looking at both.

Are there not other places to see the babes rather on a hunting type forum?

Jayco
1 stop shopping is a good thing. smile
Maybe you porno lovers ought to scroll down and ask the webmaster for a porn forum and leave the hunting to the hunters..They can do it they want to,I could.

Jayco grin
You need to take a shot and relax.
Some of the members here like pics of hot girls. Some like pics of dead schitt with bone-like growths protruding from thier heads. Many enjoy both. I think there's room for all of us here at the 'fire.
Posted By: krp Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/04/10
Maybe you porno lovers ought to scroll down and ask the webmaster for a porn forum and leave the hunting to the hunters..They can do it they want to,I could.

Jayco grin

Maybe dudes that don't like babes should start a thread asking another dude their age. grin

Kent
Glad I'm not an elk hunter...

Kent

Nuff said right there.

Jayco
Posted By: krp Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 12/04/10
You'd be asking me my age... keeps getting weirder.

Kent
46 and a large handful of elk...

Only surgeries were for a wrist -- skiing into a tree doing about 900 mph in Telluride smile (and damn lucky it was only the wrist) and hand -- nearly cut off my thumb the long way (webbing towards the middle of the wrist) a few years back.

Knock on wood, but the knees, etc. are solid still.
Oh, and put me in the "both" category! smile
I'm 56 in February. I shoot a Model 700 LH 30/06 that I bought in 1971 from money I earned delivering newspapers. It's topped with a Leupold VarX-III 2.5 x 8. I use 180 grain bullets. Been hunting elk here in Colorado since 1977. Killed over 25---have to actually think of the kills & count for the actual total.

It's getting where I like to invite a rookie to camp each year & help him get his 1st elk. I've done that for the past 5 years. I have a wall tent, wood stove etc------we camp right at the edge of the wilderness area. It's your typical elk camp. I usually invite nephews or close friends to camp. Most are from back east---Ohio or PA---where I grew up before coming to Colorado.

Past couple years I took a 14 year old boy who wants to hunt. I work with his mom who is a single parent & her sorry ex wants nothing to do with the kid. Last year he killed a cow, this year he got bull fever & missed a nice 6x6.

Life is good. CB
40. Went for the first time this year. Filled 2 days after my 40th bday.
logcutter - I'm in my late 40s. ([bleep], where'd the time go?) - Tom
Did I win?
Yes... you did

You're the new Idaho, Wy, Montana elk guru...

Congrats

Kent

6 Bulls
11 Cows
Originally Posted by 1fstdsl

6 Bulls
11 Cows

so you are sayin you've had 17 elk tags in arizona - well i guess killed 17 elk who knows how many tags !? lol

Az
Originally Posted by azcoues
Originally Posted by 1fstdsl

6 Bulls
11 Cows

so you are sayin you've had 17 elk tags in arizona - well i guess killed 17 elk who knows how many tags !? lol

Az

No, that would be an amazing record though! If I don't get drawn in AZ, I go to Colorado and buy over the counter.
40 y/o here. No elks here in Florida!! Did see some while on vacation in N. New Mexico. Awesome!! A person can dream though right?
31 and this year going after elk number.........6
time in the Navy really cut down on opportunities
45, just started teaching myself to hunt in 2009. No luck yet, but I had a better year this year than last, actually got close to some elk a couple of times.
I'll be 62 come July. I always took it for granted that we are immortal and would hike, hunt, fish forever, then my Dad got too old and infirm to hunt after the 96 Season. After that I started wondering how many season I had left. Pretty depressing, but it makes you appreciate each season you are still out there in the woods. I count my blessings and know that I am lucky that the old body (knock wood) is holding up fine.

John
1 cow
2 bulls and 2 assists

And trying to kick father time in the a$$ every step of the way.

21 bulls
24 cows

I am 55 will turn 56 on Feb 1. I find the hills getting harder at times. Its more because I don't live in the high country and it takes longer for me to get aclimated. I walk slower and I don't cover the ground like I did. Normal for a middle aged low lander. The pass few years I have grown to prefer lighter rifles. My current apple of my eye weighs in a just 7.5 lbs loaded and ready to go. My back has been giving me fits from time to time and sort knees and joints too. The doc says its arthritis in its early stages. Me well I hurt my back 30 years ago and its catching up with me. Not going to stop hunting thou. No surgeries planned. I just keep some asprin handy and try to get in some walking every day. 17 elk over a thirty year period.
57 here.
Don't run with the Elk anymore , Just kind of mosey and find myself taking more"Glassing" breaks.
Ok, I'm on radio watch tonight so I'll play...

57 and it is the milage- just counted 26 broken bones; screws and plates holding legs and arms on. Still able to hang with the kids; working with an ODA and still able to hump a ruck and play with the bad boys on semi and full.

First time out with Dad when I was 7. Have some beautiful land up in the Blues of NE Oregon and when I am home I always buy over the counter spikey tags. Missed last two seasons being over here hunting different game.

BTW, Merry Christmas to all.

RLTW

T
im new on this site, 37 and have been hunting for 25 years. Only started elk hunting last year. So far 1 bull, 1 cow and another cow hunt coming up next month...
55 years young. Been hunting since I was 12, but just started on elk in 2004.

Ken
mentally....14
physically...83
chronologically ...51
but when i'm up hunting elk,feel like I'm 21 !!
59 here
pretty good shape for my age
13 elk
5 bulls
8 cows.
Ionly hunted cows for the las 4 years.
i've dealt with altitude sickness since i was young.
still keep on going, helps if i stay below 8000ft and eat lots of asprin.
i'll keep going as long as i can.
51 and getting ready for knee surgery on both knees in two weeks. Then the rehab begins as I am going to draw a tag in WY this year. (hopefully)

crl
72 With both knees replaced. I still love it. Colorados Uncompahgre Plateau.

I'm 63.
I went on my first elk in 1978 and have killed 31 elk since then.

I started hunting small game and deer when I was a teenager and have not kept count of the number of deer and pronghorns that I have killed.

KC

56 years old

Never kept track of an exact number of elk killed. Been hunting elk since 79' in Colorado. My best guess would be around 40 head of elk. I usually buy a leftover cow tag besides whatever I end up with in the draw. Deer hunted since I was 12 years old, probably killed 50-60 deer.
popcorn fart old
54 and three bulls. We discovered elk hunting WAY too late in life.
45 and 10 elk. I love to hunt extreme northwest Colorado.
55 only hunting elk since 2000 going next week to New Mexico for cow elk.
44 years old, only 8 elk under my belt...then I got married to the wrong wife...14 years later remarried to the right wife and hunting/scouting pretty much all year...AND she hunts too!
49 Had both knee repaired torn-en meniscus on both. Them hills get bigger every year. Been elk hunting may-be 10 times with bow, ml and rifle.
4 cows rifle
lots of white tails bow,ml,rifle
1 muley buck rifle
black bear with bow. makes the ticker tick.

6 bulls, 2 cows in Arizona...one elk for every year I was fortunate to draw a tag.

1 bull in New Mexico, my only hunt there.

1 bull in Mongolia, ditto.

Bill Quimby
Originally Posted by elkivory
mentally....14
physically...83
chronologically ...51
but when i'm up hunting elk,feel like I'm 21 !!

Well put, m' man!

I'd say 12 mentally
35 physically
46 chronologically

...but that'd be a stretch -- well, the physical part anyway! smile

Allowing for the fact that Greenhorn is in another category, I can still out-hike 'bout anyone on the mountain! I know it won't last, but will enjoy it while it does! Brute force helps tilt the odds in the "make your own luck" category!
Funny thinking about how "age" changes the way you hunt, I am 56 and a couple of years ago I was the youngest hunter in camp I was using, decided it was a time to change.

I decided it was time to start hunting with my younger brother and his boys, it is great sharing with the next generations and better yet they never let me to drag my deer.
I will be 62 by next season. Right now my health is good and I plan to hunt as much as possible.
59 and will never quit hunting as long as i can move and pick up a rifle
61 in a few weeks. already booked my rifle elk hunt for 2011. in sep i'll do a diy bow hunt. been doing at least one (and usually two) elk hunts every year, for many years. i'll quit when i can no longer walk.
Three score and 10. Killed my first legal deer and elk in 1952.

Maybe one more time, if I have lots of help after the shot. Health is going to hell, so who knows?

Wayne
I mostly like to hike in the mountain, carry a gun and stare. Still amazed everytime I get up in those mountain. Only killed one elk, and missed another. I'm 32 and climbing, knees are great so far, had a bad case of plantar fascitis that slowed me down for 8 months. Got all the way through highschool football, college track and a couple half marathons without a knee problem, and hope to keep it that way. I'm a chiropractor so hoping I know enough to keep me out of back surgery. Some days I don't feel so young, but with all the ages divulged here starting to feel like I'm still a little wet behind the ears.
33 here. This was the first year my knees started to bother me a bit (a lot) hiking down the mountain packing a quarter. Kind of worries me honestly.
31 and I hope to have years ahead of me of full freezers.
I've taken 2 calves, 2 cows and 1 5x6 bull.

got skunked this fall, if I only woulda had a bull tag!
I hit the gym tonite. I've got to start earlier every year. Think I'll just go year round from now on.
45 and I've taken 2 Elk (2001 NM & 2002 AZ ) both with a Muzzle loader.
I'm 36 and still going. However I don't like packing much more than 5 miles anymore.
Posted By: 30378 Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 01/15/11
57 now. Will be 58 by next season. Would not miss area 62 for nothing.
Who you draw that unit 62 tag.
Posted By: lochsa Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 01/16/11
46 last count.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 01/19/11
Posted By: vapodog Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 01/19/11
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 01/23/11
Jayco,

Looks like I'll be 30 on my first elk hunt next season. I am talking with a couple of different outfitters looking to book my first hunt, a cow elk hunt probably in New Mexico.
Hey Matt..

I never would have guessed..Your way more mature than tons of others way older...

My hat is off to your Dad and Mom.

Jayco
71, tomorrow.

Have gotten 2 6x6's and two cows, all while I was in my 60's. All one shot kills with either a 35 Whelen or a 338-06.

Had polio as a child, with both legs paralyzed. Got better.

Elk hunting is so much fun, it keeps me young.

Steve

Steve

I hope a I am still hunting at your age..Congrats...

My Grandpa at 75 with his last Elk...

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Thank you Ron.

I have decieded to redirect some money I was planing on spending on guns this year towards my first elk hunt. Some good folks here have put me intouch with a couple of differetn outfitters and long story short I can get a very nice cow hunt for around $1500 total trip and take the wife along for a little getaway. Very excited about it, I've dreamed of elk hunting for a very long time and I plan to use this hunt to get my feet wet and maybe the next year move up to more of a do it yourself hunt.
Wow, I really hope to be hunting that strong in my 70s! My grandpa is in his mid 70s and very limited to what amount of hunting he can do, so thankful I got a good hunt in with him this year. Its getting to where every season I start to wonder if it will be his last...
Enjoy your times with Grandpa.We all die as it is part of living..Take lot's of pictures,which I never did or do,to remember..

Enjoy every moment as if you won't wake up tomorrow...

Ron
Well let see, I'm 50 almost 51 and after 30+ years of running I'm still in fairly good shape. No major injuries except for a stiff back that sometimes lets loose for a few days. Back east tally equals 5 buck from PA. Since I moved west 15 years ago the tally is 5 mule deer and one 5X5 bull elk.
I'm 62, got my first elk in 1972 and my next 8 all in western Montana. Still hunting elk in Colorado where I make my home.

smile

Chuck
I'm 62, got my first elk in 1972 in western Montana. Still hunting elk in Colorado where I make my home.

Well, if this thread runs two more weeks, I will have to update my post: I will then be 68. Never thought that I would live this long--may have to actually start making some plans...
Originally Posted by redtop
I'm 56 killed an elk every year since I was 20.

redtop,

That is a downright impressive performance right there. Congratulations.

I am 51 (going on 81). I had three knee surgeries just last year, on the same knee. I've had 14 orthopedic surgeries, including total replacement of both knees and one hip. Others include multiple reconstructive surgeries on both shoulders, and carpal tunnel release on one wrist. Now I need surgery on my right foot and ankle as it causes me great pain all the time. The problem is I wouldn't be able to put any weight on it for 6 months after the surgery, and I don't know if my job will still be there when I return. I have a pretty fair idea of what the apostle Paul experienced with his "thorn in the flesh" that caused him constant sorrow.
[Linked Image]

My first one. How about the cost of that license?......laffin!
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 01/28/11
Thats funny...I have some "youth" tags in my photo albums from 1980...Montana deer and elk were $2.00 each...same price as the bird license!

Posted By: Bryant Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 02/06/11
28 years here

Many dozen whitetails

twenty some-odd Alabama gobblers

one DIY Backpack cow elk
Come elk season in Oct. will be 64...everything pretty much works like it should...Hope it continues...
Posted By: Wyogal Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 02/06/11
I'm 60 years young. I don't hunt as hard as I did years ago, but I still get a good work out every season, and game.
In dog years............

446 yrs old.......
Pat, my first no residence license was in 1975 in Idaho.
$192.00 it included anelk, deer, bear, and small game.
Bought it over the counter.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Well, if this thread runs two more weeks, I will have to update my post: I will then be 68. Never thought that I would live this long--may have to actually start making some plans...

Well, it did and Happy Birthday. Good luck with making those plans. smile

I'm pushing 67 and have had both knees replaced also. I'm pretty much a gentleman elk hunter these days and one will have to be pretty convenient for me to pull the trigger. wink
+1. Lotta old Pharts here.....aint it grand?
i still have a pa. archery license from 1976.
still of great health at just about 1/2 a century, but i am not one to hike over hill and dale in pursuit of one.
I'm 58 and have killed my share of elk, Didn't keep track, but have lots of great memories.

I got horses 15 years ago because I got tired of packing elk and deer out on my back and the FS closed down so many trails to motorized vehicles. One of the side values of horses, is that I cstarted packing in a wall tent, stove, cots and better food. We still pack a wall tent, stove and cots in each fall and enjoy the annual hunt.

My dad is retired from hunting and I wouldn't dare let him get on any of my horses. But I come home and share photos and stories of the hunt with him.

In addition to the elk and mule deer, We have successfully harvested several Bighorn sheep, moose and recently a buffalo. I've hunted in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Alaska.
22 yrs old

hunt mostly texas but starting this past season i go to colorado for elk.
I hit the big Five-Ohh this year.

[Linked Image]

My son Thomas is 18.

[Linked Image]

Both DIYers

Chronologicly Challenged Roosevelt was president, not Teddy
Im 24 , interesting question, i would have quessed that the ages would have been much younger! My dad is 51 and he is help less when it comes to computers.
Posted By: ravenr Re: Mark R Dobrenski aka Dober - 02/10/11
days away from 49
all my parts still work
started hunting elk at the age of 14
have kept a hunting journal since then.
killed my 63rd personal elk last december.
Originally Posted by raybass
I'm 46, wished I would have been even interested in hunting when I was younger(20ish). Women and beer were priorities then.
well with eveyone one else is saying i am 44 but i still like women and laugh beer
I'm not much of an elk hunter. Hunted DIY a bunch of times and had a great camping trip. <grin> Those were all archery deals back in the 90's with a buddy. We would drive out and set up a wall tent and hunt for a week or so. We had a great time, really.

In 2005 I took a guided hunt with T. Mike Murphy out of Durango, Colorado. That was a blast in every way. This picture is all I have of the bull intact after Mike and his son Danny made meat out of him! (Mike is a great guide/outfitter but his photography skills lacked!)

I'm 49 and my bones are tired. My one and only elk.....

[Linked Image]

I'm 48
24 yrs old.

I killed a cow in Dec. 2009 and a spike in October 2010. Hopefully get another cow and/ or bull this year.
be 58 in may.
Does 'mileage' count? Only 68 but sometimes feel 108
© 24hourcampfire