Home
What do you guys think the best match is for 300 wsm vs elk. Here's my list I might consider, give me some pros and cons:

1. 180 Nosler partition
2. 165 tsx?
3. 168 tsx/ttsx?
4. 180 tsx?

How do you like them? Warp speed solids or old school tried and trued. Is one known to be any more accurate over the other? I'd like to know what you guys prefer. Please try not to turn this into a pissing match, as I'm just looking for suggestions. Pictures would also be nice. Thanks.
150gr E Tip
300 Win mag 150gr E Tip.Bullet somewhere out in space.
[Linked Image]
Partition, Accubond, TTSX, TSX, any good bullet in 180 grn.
150gr Ballistic Silvertips
My 300 win shoots the Speer Deepcurls excellent. Excellent results on a cow elk this year!
180 accubond have taken 4 elk with these and have been very pleased with performance also my rifle shoots ballistic tips with the same load to the same poi so i practice and use the btips for deer when i just want to carry that rifle .
I shoot 180 accubonds out of mine. Worked great on a few deer, an antelope and a monster cow elk.
I tried a couple of bullet weights the 165 grn on cows and the 180 and 200 grn bullets on bulls in my .300 Belgium Browning over 20 years of using this rifle.

I liked the idea of having additional bullet weight, even to the tune of the 220 grn weight for bull elk especially if in the dark timber, one does not shoot that far and this bullet will penetrate from bow to stern.
Given my 180 grain TSX goes through elk from my 06 you should have equal or better performance from a Wizzer 30 cal.

Spot
Looks like a darned fine group of bullets you've listed. I'd happily hunt with whichever one shot best from the rifle.
BSA, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the bullets you've listed. Of the bullets on your list I've killed elk with the 180 Partition and 168 TSX.

In the 30-06 I've also taken two 6 pt bulls with the 180 Partition and one 6pt bull with the 168 TSX.

In the 300 WSM, I've taken three bulls (two 6pt's and one 5pt) with the 180 Partition and one cow elk with a 180 Failsafe.

My first choice in the 300 WSM would be the 180 Accubond... but only if it shoots well. My second choice would be the 180 Partition.

Of the expanding monolithic bullets (X and e-tip type) I'd be inclined toward the 168 e-tip... but only if it shot well. After that, I'd try the 168 TTSX.

I really can't see the need for more or less bullet weight than 165/68 with the monolithic expanders...

bsa,
I witnessed two elk killed yesterday with the same rifle, a 300 WSM, shooting 168 gr. TTSX's. I handloaded the ammunition myself. I was very impressed with bullet perfomance.

Any of the bullets you listed will work really well. Use the one that shoots the best in your rifle, and go find an elk.

Good luck,
Steve
Getting some pretty good input here. I guess it's up to me to find what works the best when I get the rifle. I'm pretty excited because I've heard nothing but good about the 300 wsm and accuracy. I'll work up some loads and probably post the results like usuall. I'll probably bed it too and maybe post that as well. Thanks again guys.
My Remmy shoots the 168 TTSX like crazy. A buddy smoked his bull with one last October and it rolled down the hill from its tracks upon impact. DRT.

With a MV of 3100 and a zero range of 140 yards the trajectory matches perfectly with my Rapid Z600 reticle out to 600yards -confirmed with first-round hits before season this year.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
What do you guys think the best match is for 300 wsm vs elk. Here's my list I might consider, give me some pros and cons:

1. 180 Nosler partition
2. 165 tsx?
3. 168 tsx/ttsx?
4. 180 tsx?

How do you like them? Warp speed solids or old school tried and trued. Is one known to be any more accurate over the other? I'd like to know what you guys prefer. Please try not to turn this into a pissing match, as I'm just looking for suggestions. Pictures would also be nice. Thanks.

BSA,

There's many ways to skin this one... from your list, the 180 NP and 168 TTSX interest me the most. Buuuuut... in my .300 Win mag I run the 200-gn Accubond and I think a case can be made that it's an excellent all-arounder, near to very far, in a 300 magnum.

I'd be happy to make that case but it might result in the pissing match you don't want so I'll refrain, unless you'd like to hear it. smile

Happy New Year bud! I'll be back in Oregon tomorrow, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise...
Originally Posted by 7 STW
[Linked Image]

WTF Is that, a... moose? Black elk? Strange looking critter! grin
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by 7 STW
[Linked Image]

WTF Is that, a... moose? Black elk? Strange looking critter! grin

You've never seen a Moose?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

1. 180 Nosler partition
2. 165 tsx?
3. 168 tsx/ttsx?
4. 180 tsx?

Any of the red ones, will give you great pleasure

I use factory Federal Premium with the 165 TSX out of a Montana 8400 300 WSM.It's accounted for 10 elk and I get pass through with 1 in groups.
I use two bullets in my .300 Win Mag:

180g North Fork SS
180g Barnes MRX

Then both work.
The 180 Nosler partition is the cat's meow. The others on the list would just bounce off of a real elk. smile
Any or all of the above, have the most experience with 180 Partitions and most impressed by 180 TTSX.

All good,

LC
168 TTSXs shoot incredibly well from my .300 WSM A7 and mushroomed beautifully out at 468 yards (the distance I took my bull this year).

I tried the 165 ABs because that is generally my preferred bullet, but the Sako just wouldn't shoot them. Got 1/2 inch groups witht eh 168 TTSXs though.

Dave
bsa,
I'd go with choices 1-3. I don't see a need for a 180gr mono.
I think you should try all three and let your rifle tell you what it likes. I am partial to the Partition but would not feel the least bit hampered if I had a TSX or TTSX. I would start with H4350 and go from there.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I found the Speer 200 gr Grand slam excellent the two i've taken elk with it. Right around 330 yds, great expansion elk went right down.
I used a 180 gr TSX on this year's bull at 402 yards. It flew straight and went right through. The bull staggered and went down. Blood all over. Very happy with its performance.
150 E Tip 68 gr W760
150 CoreLokt Remington Express
165 Accubond 65.5 gr H4350

All three of these together shoot 1.5" aggregate groups in my 300 WSM
My 300 H&H with 180's might be close to your velocities ( 3050 fps + or -) I used 180 TTSX on this years bull, after plowing through the ball of the shoulder it carried on and out. It also gave me 3/4" groups.I'll keep using it.
never shot anything barnes, but have used partitions on numerous elk. i suspect i'll stick with them until lead is banned in bullets.
Never kilt an elk, but elk size critters in Africa... The 168 TTSX worked wonders.
© 24hourcampfire